Author Topic: IT4 For Hood & Hill: who says no?  (Read 8023 times)

Re: IT4 For Hood & Hill: who says no?
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2016, 02:48:04 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
With Hood included, I think the Celts would have to take the deal.  I'd hate to see IT go, though, despite the fact that I like George Hill.

A straight-up IT for Hill trade, however?  No way.  I don't see why the Celts would do that.

I agree. It is silly.

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2016, 03:12:54 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Utah says no. Boston probably says yes.
Yep.  Taking contracts out of it, I don't even know if Utah would trade Hill straight up for Thomas given he is a vastly superior defensive player and a more efficient offensive player (though with lesser volume).

You continue to amaze me Moranis. 

Hill has career averages of 11.5 PPG/ 3.3 assists/ 3.2 rebounds and he is 30 years old and has NEVER been an All-Star!!!!

IT has career averages of 17.6 PPG/  5.1 assists/ 2.6 rebounds and he is 27 years old and HAS been an All-Star!!!!!

They are indeed comparable in YOUR mind Moranis!!!

Wow.  That's all I got.  Wow.

Smitty77

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2016, 03:15:37 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
With Hood included, I think the Celts would have to take the deal.  I'd hate to see IT go, though, despite the fact that I like George Hill.

A straight-up IT for Hill trade, however?  No way.  I don't see why the Celts would do that.
I don't think the Celtics would do that trade either.  They need Thomas' scoring far more than Hill's defense.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2016, 03:18:01 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
I would do this trade all day every day.  Hill has always been underrated.  Utah asked him to score a little more and he stepped right up.  You can make an argument that the Celtics would be better with hill than IT.

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2016, 03:22:44 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Yep.  Taking contracts out of it, I don't even know if Utah would trade Hill straight up for Thomas given he is a vastly superior defensive player and a more efficient offensive player (though with lesser volume).

You continue to amaze me Moranis. 

Hill has career averages of 11.5 PPG/ 3.3 assists/ 3.2 rebounds and he is 30 years old and has NEVER been an All-Star!!!!

IT has career averages of 17.6 PPG/  5.1 assists/ 2.6 rebounds and he is 27 years old and HAS been an All-Star!!!!!

They are indeed comparable in YOUR mind Moranis!!!

Wow.  That's all I got.  Wow.

Smitty77

Agreed. It is up in the books among his weirdest contrarian takes ever.

« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2016, 03:23:49 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
I would do this trade all day every day.  Hill has always been underrated.  Utah asked him to score a little more and he stepped right up.  You can make an argument that the Celtics would be better with hill than IT.

I would love to hear it. We have no players that can create their own offense at an elite level besides IT so we trade him for a guy that is much worse at shot creation and a worse shot create and 3 years older. Sweet.

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2016, 03:41:52 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

George Hill has played only 11 games this year and has gotten off to a red hot start shooting WAY WAY above his career averages:

He's currently sporting a 45.6% 3PT% ... compared to a career 37.9%.

He's currently got a 53.4% overall FG% ... compared to a career 45.2%

This is, as a consequence, inflating his scoring efficiency to an absurd .667 TS ... compared to a career rate of .565.

How sustainable do you really believe that to be?

Isaiah is posting the same rock-solid ~.574 TS scoring efficiency that he has delivered year-in-and-year-out (even while sustaining much higher USG).   He also blows Hill away when it comes to delivering assists.

If you truly believe Hill can maintain his current hot shooting going forward, then sure.  He's more efficient.

Me?  I'd put my money on Isaiah continuing over the long haul to be the far, far superior player of the two.

AND ... of course, contracts matter and that advantage goes to IT.
Is Hill a vastly superior defender?

Arguable.  Possibly.  Defensive metrics are, of course, never very clear cut.

I would submit that he is probably a "superior defender".   I would also submit that Thomas is clearly, far and away a vastly superior offensive player.

And in the modern NBA, frankly the latter is far and away more important for guards.   The NBA rules simply make that the case.   With no hand-checking and the heavy reliance on the three-point line, this is right now the era of penetrating guards who are borderline impossible to stop.   

Right now, the marginal value of an elite offensive guard far outstrips the marginal value of an elite defensive guard.

We just had our 'elite defensive guards' of Bradley and Smart tasked with trying to slow down Lowry and Westbrook.   And they posted 34 and 37 points.   Ancient 34 year old Tony Parker, averaging just 9.9 points on the season just scored 16 on 8 of 15 shooting in just 25 minutes.  No blaming of Thomas for a change.

Hill has a higher career 2PT and 3PT percentage and a result has a higher eFG% at 52% vs. 50.4% for Thomas.  Thomas gets to the line a lot more and as such has a higher career TS% at 57.2% v. 56.5%.  Thomas has hand on the ball a lot more, especially throughout their careers and thus has a much higher Usage Rate, though does end up with more shots, more assists, more turnovers, etc.  Thomas has a higher AST% as well but also a higher TOV% and lower RB%, STL%, and BLK%.  Prior to this season each had a career best PER of 21.5 (Hill currently has a slightly higher PER than Thomas this year, which is both their career best season), though Thomas has consistently had a larger offensive role than Hill and thus has a better career PER.  Thomas has a career BPM of 1.8 and VORP of 11 (1.833 per year).  Hill exceeds both with a career BPM of 2 and VORP of 16.6 (1.844 per year).

No, you can't brush aside the importance of being able to carry a 25%+ USG and STILL post a consistent TS of .570+.   That is not only very difficult to do, it is extremely valuable.    Thomas has had a consistently larger role on offense because his Coaches know he will deliver.   He is one of the most consistent point creators (scoring and assists) over the last few years and his efficiency has held up despite heavy USG.   Most players drop in efficiency as their USG goes up because heavier USG means they are taking more and more shots out of their comfort zone.  More shots from different parts of the floor.  More shots that are tightly contested.  Isaiah has proven he can take those shots and still generate points efficiently.  Most players simply can't.

Hill has never had a season where he's cracked 24% USG.  IT has been used at rates of 26.3%, 27.8%, 29.6% and 33.4% the last four seasons.  All through that, his scoring efficiency has remained excellent.   And during that time, he's also posted AST% rates of 32.2%, 27.2%, 32.7% and now 32.6%.   Hill has posted an AST% rate over 30 just once (31.4% two years ago) and otherwise never above 23.4%.  And most of his seasons it has been down in the teens.

Setting aside the fact that Thomas is clearly and inarguably a more efficient _scorer_, don't confuse the overall eFG% numbers as being any definitive indication that Hill is a better _shooter_ either.  The fact is, Thomas, by virtue of his role, has to take a far heavier share of shots under tight contention by defenders.    Let's look at their 3PT shooting data from last year, 2015-16,(to get a decent sample):

Overall, Hill shot 40.8% on threes (314 attempts) last year compared to just 35.9% for Isaiah (465 attempts).  That makes it look like Hill was a vastly better 3PT shooter than IT, right?   Let's look closer at shots taken under different defensive coverage:

Wide Open (Defender at least 6 feet away)
Hill took 134 (42.7%) of his threes as 'wide open' and hit 44.8% of them.
Thomas got only 78 (16.8%) of his threes as 'wide open' but still hit 43.6% of them.

Open (Defender 4-6 ft away)
Hill got another 135 (43.0%) of his threes as 'open' and hit them at a 39.3% clip.
Thomas got just 184 (39.6%) of his threes as "open" and hit 38.6% of them.

Tight Covered (Defender 2-4 ft away)
Hill took only 41 (13.1%) of his threes as "tightly covered".  He hit them at a 29.3% rate.
Thomas took 187 (40.2%) of his threes while "tightly covered" and hit them at a 31.0% rate.

So, when you account for coverage, suddenly you can see that Hill didn't really shoot any better than Isaiah.  At each level of coverage, their numbers are statistically the same.

The difference is, because of the heavy attention defenses pay to Isaiah, he had far fewer 'wide open' shots and far more 'tightly covered' shots.

The value of a guy like Thomas is that he is able to convert that defensive attention into an advantage both by drawing fouls (resulting in FTAs) and in getting open looks for his teammates (assists) and thus maintain a high overall point-creation efficiency despite the heavy defensive attention.

Hill hasn't posted a FTr (FTA/FGA ratio) of over .300 since the 2011-12 season.  Isaiah has never posted an FTr rate _below_ .324 in his career!  His career rate is .386.    Getting to the FT line on a consistent basis is an extremely, extremely valuable skill in the NBA and you simply can't drop random players into that role and expect to get the same result.

When you actually account for defense and take a closer look at the offensive numbers, it paints a slightly different picture.  And here is the thing, Utah doesn't need a ball dominant offensive oriented PG like Thomas.  They need a defensive stalwart that is an efficient shooter.  That is Hill, not Thomas.  And I clearly said taking contracts out of it because Thomas has a far superior contract making him more valuable.

Don't really care what UTAH needs or not.   I know what the Celtics offense needs and they don't need George Hill as a replacement for Thomas.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2016, 04:12:00 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

George Hill has played only 11 games this year and has gotten off to a red hot start shooting WAY WAY above his career averages:

This is, as a consequence, inflating his scoring efficiency to an absurd .667 TS ... compared to a career rate of .565.

Isaiah is posting the same rock-solid ~.574 TS scoring efficiency that he has delivered year-in-and-year-out (even while sustaining much higher USG).   He also blows Hill away when it comes to delivering assists.

If you truly believe Hill can maintain his current hot shooting going forward, then sure.  He's more efficient.

Me?  I'd put my money on Isaiah continuing over the long haul to be the far, far superior player of the two.

I would submit that he is probably a "superior defender".   I would also submit that Thomas is clearly, far and away a vastly superior offensive player.

And in the modern NBA, frankly the latter is far and away more important for guards.   The NBA rules simply make that the case.   With no hand-checking and the heavy reliance on the three-point line, this is right now the era of penetrating guards who are borderline impossible to stop.   

Right now, the marginal value of an elite offensive guard far outstrips the marginal value of an elite defensive guard.

We just had our 'elite defensive guards' of Bradley and Smart tasked with trying to slow down Lowry and Westbrook.   And they posted 34 and 37 points.   Ancient 34 year old Tony Parker, averaging just 9.9 points on the season just scored 16 on 8 of 15 shooting in just 25 minutes.  No blaming of Thomas for a change.

Hill has a higher career 2PT and 3PT percentage and a result has a higher eFG% at 52% vs. 50.4% for Thomas.  Thomas gets to the line a lot more and as such has a higher career TS% at 57.2% v. 56.5%.  Thomas has hand on the ball a lot more, especially throughout their careers and thus has a much higher Usage Rate, though does end up with more shots, more assists, more turnovers, etc.  Thomas has a higher AST% as well but also a higher TOV% and lower RB%, STL%, and BLK%.  Prior to this season each had a career best PER of 21.5 (Hill currently has a slightly higher PER than Thomas this year, which is both their career best season), though Thomas has consistently had a larger offensive role than Hill and thus has a better career PER.  Thomas has a career BPM of 1.8 and VORP of 11 (1.833 per year).  Hill exceeds both with a career BPM of 2 and VORP of 16.6 (1.844 per year).

No, you can't brush aside the importance of being able to carry a 25%+ USG and STILL post a consistent TS of .570+.   That is not only very difficult to do, it is extremely valuable.    Thomas has had a consistently larger role on offense because his Coaches know he will deliver.   He is one of the most consistent point creators (scoring and assists) over the last few years and his efficiency has held up despite heavy USG.   Most players drop in efficiency as their USG goes up because heavier USG means they are taking more and more shots out of their comfort zone.  More shots from different parts of the floor.  More shots that are tightly contested.  Isaiah has proven he can take those shots and still generate points efficiently.  Most players simply can't.

Hill has never had a season where he's cracked 24% USG.  IT has been used at rates of 26.3%, 27.8%, 29.6% and 33.4% the last four seasons.  All through that, his scoring efficiency has remained excellent.   And during that time, he's also posted AST% rates of 32.2%, 27.2%, 32.7% and now 32.6%.   Hill has posted an AST% rate over 30 just once (31.4% two years ago) and otherwise never above 23.4%.  And most of his seasons it has been down in the teens.

Setting aside the fact that Thomas is clearly and inarguably a more efficient _scorer_, don't confuse the overall eFG% numbers as being any definitive indication that Hill is a better _shooter_ either.  The fact is, Thomas, by virtue of his role, has to take a far heavier share of shots under tight contention by defenders.    Let's look at their 3PT shooting data from last year, 2015-16,(to get a decent sample):

Overall, Hill shot 40.8% on threes (314 attempts) last year compared to just 35.9% for Isaiah (465 attempts).  That makes it look like Hill was a vastly better 3PT shooter than IT, right?   Let's look closer at shots taken under different defensive coverage:

Thomas got only 78 (16.8%) of his threes as 'wide open' but still hit 43.6% of them.

Hill got another 135 (43.0%) of his threes as 'open' and hit them at a 39.3% clip.

Hill took only 41 (13.1%) of his threes as "tightly covered".  He hit them at a 29.3% rate.
Thomas took 187 (40.2%) of his threes while "tightly covered" and hit them at a 31.0% rate.

So, when you account for coverage, suddenly you can see that Hill didn't really shoot any better than Isaiah.  At each level of coverage, their numbers are statistically the same.

The difference is, because of the heavy attention defenses pay to Isaiah, he had far fewer 'wide open' shots and far more 'tightly covered' shots.

The value of a guy like Thomas is that he is able to convert that defensive attention into an advantage both by drawing fouls (resulting in FTAs) and in getting open looks for his teammates (assists) and thus maintain a high overall point-creation efficiency despite the heavy defensive attention.

Hill hasn't posted a FTr (FTA/FGA ratio) of over .300 since the 2011-12 season.  Isaiah has never posted an FTr rate _below_ .324 in his career!  His career rate is .386.    Getting to the FT line on a consistent basis is an extremely, extremely valuable skill in the NBA and you simply can't drop random players into that role and expect to get the same result.

When you actually account for defense and take a closer look at the offensive numbers, it paints a slightly different picture.  And here is the thing, Utah doesn't need a ball dominant offensive oriented PG like Thomas.  They need a defensive stalwart that is an efficient shooter.  That is Hill, not Thomas.  And I clearly said taking contracts out of it because Thomas has a far superior contract making him more valuable.

Don't really care what UTAH needs or not.   I know what the Celtics offense needs and they don't need George Hill as a replacement for Thomas.

Thank you. Hill and Thomas are not in the same league as overall players. I wish we had a little more respect for our players frankly. I'm not some huge homer and think most of our players have tons of flaws. However, IT is a legit all-star caliber player and calling him the same as Hill with some half-baked statistics makes us look bad as a fanbase in my opinion.

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2016, 04:59:06 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199

I would love to hear it. We have no players that can create their own offense at an elite level besides IT so we trade him for a guy that is much worse at shot creation and a worse shot create and 3 years older. Sweet.
Who do you think is creating shots for Utah?  John Stockton?  They win with defense, rebounding and execution.  IT4 iso's are fools gold.

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2016, 05:22:27 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
IT

« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2016, 05:40:13 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Hill was traded for Kawhi Leonard, so if we trade IT for Hill, it is kind-of like trading him for a player the caliber of Leonard...right?

« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2016, 02:20:35 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

Dang mmmm.  Was that a nuclear explosion I just read??:-)))))  Remarkably well done!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2016, 06:15:21 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Me. I say no.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2016, 09:05:29 AM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Big N and Big O....

Silly talk really and its not even close.

Hood for james young...oh wait that opportunity already passed ...dang it...

« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2017, 10:35:04 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

When I following the 4th quarter on my phone tonight I couldn't help but think how long Thomas has been undervalued by Celtics fans and how we are finally acknowledging he is a top 20 player in the NBA. I actually specifically remembered this thread (and not picking on the OP there were lots of these kinds of idea) because we were talking about trading him for a pu pu platter of hood and Hill. Some people had Hill as equal to IT just a few months ago on this blog. It is amazing what a few months of continued domination has done for IT around the league.