Author Topic: Donatas Motiejunas UFA, should the celtics take a look?  (Read 4103 times)

Donatas Motiejunas UFA, should the celtics take a look?
« on: December 16, 2016, 10:41:51 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
Depending on the price he could be a nice piece off the bench, at the very least he would help our rebounding troubles.

Not sure what kind of offer sheet he'll get though. I'd put a price of 5-7 mil on his services.

Re: Donatas Motiejunas UFA, should the celtics take a look?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 10:49:27 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Doubt Danny will

But glad nets got screwed in all of this. You can bet pistons are ready to bring him in one way or another

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 10:52:30 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1213
We can't afford him.  He got a 4 year, $37 million offer sheet from the Nets as an RFA, and someone will offer him similar money as a UFA.  We can't even get close to affording him (except maybe in a sign and trade, but that won't happen)

As a side note, can anyone confirm whether or not he can sign with the Nets as a UFA?  It was only if he failed to show up for his physical that that would be the case, right?
I'm bitter.

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 10:52:33 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
He ONLY averaged 2.9 rebounds last year in 14.8 minutes.  He is not Whiteside in the rebounding department!!

I do like his ability to stretch the floor, but don't we already have that in Kelly?

Smitty77

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 10:53:23 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1555
weird situation, but the Nets are really getting screwed here.  No way they should be barred from signing him for a year when the "matched" offer was reneged on by Houston.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2016, 10:55:28 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
We can't afford him.  He got a 4 year, $37 million offer sheet from the Nets as an RFA, and someone will offer him similar money as a UFA.  We can't even get close to affording him (except maybe in a sign and trade, but that won't happen)

As a side note, can anyone confirm whether or not he can sign with the Nets as a UFA?  It was only if he failed to show up for his physical that that would be the case, right?

He is not worth 4 years 37 mil in my opinion, you don't think his divaish attitude lowered his stock a bit? Also still TBD what was determined during his physical, could also lower his value..

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2016, 10:58:37 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
He's gotta play for someone. He's gotta get some kind of bird rights started.

I bet he goes to another Western Conference team.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2016, 11:01:10 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4595
He ONLY averaged 2.9 rebounds last year in 14.8 minutes.  He is not Whiteside in the rebounding department!!

I do like his ability to stretch the floor, but don't we already have that in Kelly?

Smitty77

If you look at TRB% or Rebounds Per 100 Possesions, he's not any better than Horford, Olynyk, Johnson, or Zeller.    Not a shot blocker either.   Not that different from the bigs we already have, not sure he's actually better than any of our current bigs either.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 11:39:29 AM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2016, 11:03:46 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Smitty77

At least he is able to grab 10 plus rebounds from time to time. He had an off year/injury year last season

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 11:07:16 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2670
  • bammokja
weird situation, but the Nets are really getting screwed here.  No way they should be barred from signing him for a year when the "matched" offer was reneged on by Houston.
i disagree. the nets should be barred from signing any and all basketball players in the universe until the celtics have used all of their draft picks.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2016, 11:17:46 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1213

He is not worth 4 years 37 mil in my opinion, you don't think his divaish attitude lowered his stock a bit? Also still TBD what was determined during his physical, could also lower his value..

With all due respect, it doesn't matter what he's worth in your opinion, it matters what he's worth in the opinion of GMs around the NBA. The Nets GM though he was worth over $9 million a year (and this was after failing a physical from the Pistons when he was gonna be traded there in February).  His stock will be lowered since it looks like the Nets can't sign him, but not into any range where we can sign him (since we have only like $3 million in cap space)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2016, 11:23:22 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney

With all due respect, it doesn't matter what he's worth in your opinion, it matters what he's worth in the opinion of GMs around the NBA. The Nets GM though he was worth over $9 million a year (and this was after failing a physical from the Pistons when he was gonna be traded there in February).  His stock will be lowered since it looks like the Nets can't sign him, but not into any range where we can sign him (since we have only like $3 million in cap space)

You don't think NBA GM's are reading my posts on Celticsblog and taking them into consideration? And after all these years I assumed they were!

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2016, 12:42:23 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I would definitely want to try to work something out with him. He might instantly be our best big. Maybe he could at least just play the rest of the year here

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2016, 01:05:12 PM »

Offline The Fawb

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 3
Guys, don't forget it was basically a one year contract as only the first year was guaranteed, and heavily incentive laden at that. We are over the cap either way

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2016, 01:13:44 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2715
I would definitely want to try to work something out with him. He might instantly be our best big. Maybe he could at least just play the rest of the year here

I love Motiejunas, but our best big? Horford is still on the team right?