Author Topic: Hornets (14-12) at Celtics (13-12) Game #26 12/16/16  (Read 32632 times)

Hornets (14-12) at Celtics (13-12) Game #26 12/16/16
« on: December 15, 2016, 10:14:44 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Charlotte Hornets (14-12) at Boston Celtics (13-12)
Friday, December 16, 2016
7:30 PM ET
Regular Season Game #26 Home Game #11
TV: CSN-NE, FSSE, NBA-LP 755(DTV)/753(XFinity)
Radio:  98.5 The Sports Hub, WFNZ 610 AM
TD Garden

Probable Starters

PG: Isaiah Thomas
SG:  Avery Bradley
SF:  Jae Crowder
PF:  Al Horford 
C:   Amir Johnson

Celtics Reserves
Jaylen Brown
Demetrius Jackson
Jonas Jerebko 
Jordan Mickey 
Terry Rozier 
James Young
Tyler Zeller
Marcus Smart
Kelly Olynyk

Injuries

Gerald Green  (hamstring) questionable
Isaiah Thomas (groin) game time decision

Head Coach:  Brad Stevens 

Probable Starters

PG:  Ramon Sessions
SG:  Nicolas Batum
SF:  Michael Kidd Gilchrist
PF:  Marvin Williams
C:  Cody Zeller

Probable Reserves
Spencer Hawes
Marco Belinelli
Jeremy Lamb
Aaron Harrison
Christian Wood
Treveon Graham
Roy Hibbert
Frank Kaminsky
Brian Roberts

Injuries
Kemba Walker (personal)  out

Head Coach
Steve Clifford

Game Notes
The Celtics return home from their midwest road trip to face the Charlotte Hornets.  After meeting twice in the preseason, the Celtics and Hornets meet for the second of 4 meetings in the regular season.  The Celtics beat the Hornets 104-98 in their first meeting for Charlotte's home opener.  They will meet again on 1/16 and 4/2. 

These two teams are a lot alike.  Both have 12 losses on the year.  Both teams lost on the road on Wednesday and both have lost their last 3 games.  The Celtics are 4-6 in their last 10 games while the Hornets are 5-5 in their last 10.  The Celtics are 5-5 at home while the Hornets are 6-6 on the road. 

The Celtics won the series 2-1 last season with the Celtics winning twice in Charlotte and the Hornets returning the favor and winning in Boston.   In the preseason, the Celtics won both meetings between these two teams.   Charlotte was missing Frank Kaminsky for both preseason games but were pretty much at full strength for their home opener.  The Celtics were without both Kelly Olynyk and Marcus smart for all 3 contests so far.

Kemba Walker is not with the team and will miss this game for personal reasons.  He is expected to rejoin the team on Saturday when they will close out their 5 game road trip in Atlanta.   Ramon Sessions is expected to get the start in his place. 

Isaiah Thomas has missed the Celtics' last 4 games and is a game time decision for this game.  I'm thinking positive thoughts and put him in the starting lineup but if he can't go, Marcus Smart will once again get the start.  Gerald Green is nursing a sore hamstring and is questionable for this game. 

Key Matchups
  vs 
Avery Bradley vs Nicolas Batum
Batum is averaging 13.6 points, 7.6 rebounds and 5.6 assists and is the Hornets second leading scorer behind Kemba Walker.  With Walker out, Batum will need to step up and fill in for him.  Avery will need to keep him from doing so. 

vs 
Amir Johnson vs Cody Zeller
Zeller is averaging 10.8 points, 5.9 rebounds and 1.1 blocks per game.  He has a height advantage over Amir but Amir has both an experience and a bulk advantage over Zeller.  Should be an interesting matchup. 

Honorable Mention

Kelly Olynyk vs Frank Kaminsky
Kaminsky had a big game against the Celtics in their first meeting this season and seems to play well against the Celtics.  He is averaging 10.3 points and 4.8 rebounds off the bench for the Hornets.  Hopefully Kelly can play well off the bench to offset his production.  We may see some Zeller vs Zeller in this game as well. 

Keys to the Game
Defense!!!
-  Defense wins games but the Celtics haven't often played the in your face lock down defense that we saw from them last season.  They have too many very good defensive players for them to allow teams to have high scoring games on them.   They have to play better team defense and communicate better than they have been so far this season. 

Rebound - You have to have the ball in order to score and you are going to struggle if you allow the opponent to beat you on the boards.  The Hornets average 45.5 rebounds to 42.1 for the Celtics.  The Celtics simply must fight harder to win the battle of the boards. 

Be Aggressive - The Celtics need to be the more aggressive team.  They have to play harder and fight for loose balls and rebounds and play harder on defense.  They must be the team that wants it more!  They need to get back to being that scrappy team that plays hard and scraps for every possession. 

Play Hard for 48 Minutes -  The Celtics can't let up and allow a big lead to disappear as they have so often this season.  They also can't come out flat like they also have at times this season.   They have to play hard from the opening tip to the final buzzer. 

X-Factors
Home Court Factor - The Celtics are playing at home and should get a boost from the home crowd.  Both teams are trying to get back in the win column after losing 3 straight.  The home crowd and Celtic Pride needs to motivate them to get a win in this one.

Officiating -  The officiating is always an x-factor in every game.  Will the refs let them play or will they call every little bit of contact.  Will they call it evenly or will they favor one team or the other.  The Celtics need to adapt to the way the game is called and not let the refs take them out of the game. 

Players In or Out
- It goes without saying that the Celtics miss Isaiah Thomas and it would be a big boost if he can come back for this game.  It also goes without saying that the Hornets will miss Kemba Walker for this game. 

Re: Hornets (14-12) at Celtics (13-12) Game #26 12/16/16
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2016, 10:18:00 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
First!

Go Celtics!!  Beat the Hornets!

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2016, 10:18:08 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 743
hope IT only goes if 100%

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 10:20:47 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP to saltlover and matteo for being first to post in the game thread (just seconds apart). 

Gooooooooooooooo Celtics!!!!

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 10:48:56 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
Holy moley! I can't even place second anymore. You guys must just sit and wait for game threads.  :P

But regardless, the Celtics are back on track for a win. And flc is back on track for a tp.

Gooooooooooooooooooo Celtics!  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 11:08:47 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Finally! The showdown we've all been waiting for...

Kelly vs. Kaminsky.

Anything can happen between these two manimals. I've got my popcorn and wine coolers ready.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 11:13:46 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Holy moley! I can't even place second anymore. You guys must just sit and wait for game threads.  :P

But regardless, the Celtics are back on track for a win. And flc is back on track for a tp.

Gooooooooooooooooooo Celtics!  ;D

Haha, I just got lucky that when I logged on I got a fresh game thread!  It's only my second posting win on these.

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 11:18:58 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969

Kelly vs. Kaminsky.

Anything can happen between these two manimals. I've got my popcorn and wine coolers ready.

Show down ?      Squirt Guns at ten paces ......corn hole shootout ...TIDDLE WINKS MATCH

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 11:35:52 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Kelly vs. Kaminsky.

Show down ?      Squirt Guns at ten paces ......corn hole shootout ...TIDDLE WINKS MATCH

Lol, squirt guns at ten paces.  Can't wait to see the boys duke it out for the undisputed title of "Toughest Cupcake"
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2016, 02:48:41 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Hm...I'll want smart to start the first couple of minutes to soften up sessions even more then put in IT to grill him
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2016, 04:33:24 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
No Walker is huge, he is literally their only piece. Keep hearing conflicting reports about IT. Is he in or out??
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2016, 07:22:40 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Sweep the Hornets

clap x5
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2016, 08:12:16 AM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
Sweep the Hornets

clap x5

Sweep the Hornets

clap x5

I like it and will keep it going! TP!

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2016, 08:36:20 AM »

Offline MrMorrill

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 9
Gotta get the W! Would put us back up in 3rd I believe. With the rough patch the Celtics have been going through being in 3rd after a win tonight isn't a bad spot to be in. Granted the east is in a pack right now but with all things considered...

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2016, 11:06:06 AM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Hornets don't exactly have a "compelling" roster, esp. without Kemba.

Look out for Jeremy Lamb, he had a good game against the C's last time.