Author Topic: Washington Wizards Trade Idea  (Read 2021 times)

Washington Wizards Trade Idea
« on: December 13, 2016, 10:09:26 AM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
John Wall/Marcin Gortat

For

Isaiah Thomas/Amir Johnson/Brooklyn 2018/Draft rights to Yabusele

Something isn't clicking in WAS. Is this a package they would consider?

Re: Washington Wizards Trade Idea
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 11:13:30 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I don't think they give up Wall in that sort of deal.  I don't actually think they get rid of Wall at all, but if they get rid of him, I would think they would want to do a total rebuild and Thomas doesn't fit that type of trade.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 11:21:57 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I don't think they give up Wall in that sort of deal.  I don't actually think they get rid of Wall at all, but if they get rid of him, I would think they would want to do a total rebuild and Thomas doesn't fit that type of trade.

I generally agree with your assumption of Washington starting over if they give up Wall in a deal.

But, I am not psyched with Boston giving up the BKN '18 in addition to IT here. I realize that Wall is considered a better player, but Washington's roster looks pretty decent and they still suck. I am not sure why we give up our best player who fits in well with the team culture of Boston along with a likely high lottery pick to bring in somebody we hope will do better in our system than Washington's. I mean, do we hope he scores 28ppg, instead of IT's 26ppg?

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 12:04:43 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I generally agree with your assumption of Washington starting over if they give up Wall in a deal.

But, I am not psyched with Boston giving up the BKN '18 in addition to IT here. I realize that Wall is considered a better player, but Washington's roster looks pretty decent and they still suck. I am not sure why we give up our best player who fits in well with the team culture of Boston along with a likely high lottery pick to bring in somebody we hope will do better in our system than Washington's. I mean, do we hope he scores 28ppg, instead of IT's 26ppg?
They have no bench and hardly any + defenders.  They just aren't constructed all that well. 

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 12:55:57 PM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
The premise of making this trade is that Wall is a better PG than IT. He is less of a defensive liability given his height. He is a better creator. IT might be a better scorer but his style of play is isolation.

I'd much rather have 2 max contracts tied up in Wall/Horford than IT/Horford.

Plus Wall may be a draw for the 3rd max player to come (i.e. Cousins).

We could be looking at:

PG: Wall
SG: Bradley
SF: Brown
PF: Horford
C: Cousins

Bench: Crowder, Smart, Gortat, etc.

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 01:03:47 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I don't think the Wiz are anywhere close to giving up on Wall / Beal yet.

And really, if they do, they ought to trade Beal.

Wall, Porter, and a bunch of average role players with reasonably complementary skillsets would be a playoff team in the East.  The problem for the Wiz is their top two guys don't get along and they've done a terrible job finding role players to fill out the rest of the roster.

When you have a terrible GM, trading your star for a package of youth and picks seems like a terrible idea.  What reason do you have to be confident the GM won't screw up those assets?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 01:48:04 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
Tried to come up with a 3 team trade that I think is reasonably fair for all 3 teams (not that I think it would ever happen).

Boston - Wall, Gortat
Washington - Mudiay, Hernangomez, Yabusele, Jerekbo, BKN 18, BOS 18
Denver - Thomas, Johnson

Boston upgrades the PG and C position making a win now type trade but without sacrificing too much of the future (though does give up all cap space next summer).  Boston has 2 open roster spots after the trade as well.

Denver goes for the playoffs giving up youth for Thomas (and they still have Murray as a potential PG of the future). 

Washington goes all in on the rebuild dumping Gortat's salary and picking up Mudiay, two 1sts from the prior draft, and two future 1sts including a BKN pick (while ensuring their own 1st this year is a lot better). 

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 02:11:34 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
I'd rather trade IT for a big.

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 02:39:53 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Let's just do the Gortat for Yabusele part of the deal.

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 05:14:34 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I was browsing realgm over the summer and this kind of trade came up. I didn't read all the opinion but the mods had to shut it down because the comments were getting too vicious. Basically no neutral fan could get behind the idea that this was a fair deal for Washington

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2016, 10:00:16 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
I was browsing realgm over the summer and this kind of trade came up. I didn't read all the opinion but the mods had to shut it down because the comments were getting too vicious. Basically no neutral fan could get behind the idea that this was a fair deal for Washington
I wonder how the 3 team trade I mentioned in here would be viewed.  I think it is fairly reasonable for all 3 teams, but obviously would require that various direction from them.  We also have 25 games into this season and it is clear Washington just isn't very good.

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2016, 07:28:45 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
make it

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2016, 07:35:37 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I'd be all for it but I don't think washington is going to trade wall at all.  Gortat I'd have sights on, I did before he went there.