Author Topic: Dennis Smith Thread (Merged)  (Read 18765 times)

Re: Dennis Smith OWNS Duke (first win for NC State at Duke since 1995)
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2017, 12:41:14 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Smith's competition is much better than the teams Fultz is playing against at Washington.

It's true Pho, but honestly could you do it.

Could you really take Dennis Smith JR number one Overall over Fultz.

« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2017, 12:48:48 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Smith's competition is much better than the teams Fultz is playing against at Washington.

Better, yes.  Much better, no.  The PAC 12 has some fine teams in UCLA, Oregon, and Arizona, and Washington also went up against #3 Gonzaga early in the year.  All four of those teams are currently in the top 10.  NC State only has Florida St and UNC as top 10 opponents this year.  Their strengths of schedule are about 50 places from each other, but both are above average (57th and 112th), which isn't a huge difference in the middle of the pack.

Both players/teams still have most of their best opponents in front of them.

« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2017, 12:58:38 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
These guard prospects are exciting me, especially Fultz and Smith, not as high on Ball, but it just sucks that there's no real standout big for us in this draft.

If we don't trade one or both of the Brooklyn picks and don't pick up any other core big in a trade, such as a Cousins or Noel type, I think it's absolutely essential that we land a core big in next year's draft.

I'm so tired of this Celtics team lacking in the big department, and it's seemingly something that we've had to deal with for years now, even dating back to the latter part of the Big-3 era.

« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2017, 12:59:44 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Yeah Fultz is just ridiculous. So smooth so effortlessly. I think it's funny some people question his level of athleticism.

It's there. He's the real deal. There is a clip of him Taking flight from the free throw line.

It's like he doesn't even need to show his whole bag of tricks. He's so crafty he just doesn't need to dunk on you.

You see his freakish athleticism more on defense. Chase down blocks.

« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2017, 01:01:54 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
These guard prospects are exciting me, especially Fultz and Smith, not as high on Ball, but it just sucks that there's no real standout big for us in this draft.

If we don't trade one or both of the Brooklyn picks and don't pick up any other core big in a trade, such as a Cousins or Noel type, I think it's absolutely essential that we land a core big in next year's draft.

I'm so tired of this Celtics team lacking in the big department, and it's seemingly something that we've had to deal with for years now, even dating back to the latter part of the Big-3 era.

Man I feel you pain. On top of it our coach wants four guys 6'3" and under in there at all times. Oh well one day we will be forced to take a big athletic freak.

« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2017, 01:03:41 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Great bigs are hard to come by.  Imagine if IT is being discussed in a Cousins trade?
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2017, 01:08:00 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

Great bigs are hard to come by.  Imagine if IT is being discussed in a Cousins trade?

That would kind of be hilarious figuring that it was Sacramento that chose Collison over him in the first place lol

« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2017, 01:48:42 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Smith or Fultz?  I feel like that's what this draft comes down to.
Smith could join Ball and Fultz. It's pretty much every draft expert's opinion that Ball and Fultz are the two guys who have super star beyond all star ability. Smith moving up to that list would be good since it expands our chances at a tier 1 player.

I know this is convenient to say this after the Duke game, but I've felt for a while that  Ball, Fultz, and Smith are actually all Tier 1 guys. I'm tempted to say that about Tatum too - kid looks so strong and balanced
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2017, 04:16:22 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199

Nah Pho. Smith is not on Fultz Level yet.

6'10" wingspan for Fultz. Smith is 6'3" arm length.

Fultz has potential to guard three positions. Hes more well rounded and the first pick.
Fultz is a below average defender tho.  He makes some flashy chasedown blocks now and then, but seems disengaged much of the time.  The Huskies team D has been generally bad when I've watched as well.

Smith can be disruptive on D, tho you'd like that wingspan to be longer.  He's built like Kyle Lowry.  In any case, there's no way Fultz is guarding 3 positions.  Not quick enough to guard 1's, not big enough to guard 3's.  He's a pure prototypical SG in the NBA.

« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2017, 04:22:30 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

Fultz has potential to guard three positions. Hes more well rounded and the first pick.
Fultz is a below average defender tho.  He makes some flashy chasedown blocks now and then, but seems disengaged much of the time.  The Huskies team D has been generally bad when I've watched as well.

Smith can be disruptive on D, tho you'd like that wingspan to be longer.  He's built like Kyle Lowry.  In any case, there's no way Fultz is guarding 3 positions.  Not quick enough to guard 1's, not big enough to guard 3's.  He's a pure prototypical SG in the NBA.

Fultz is statistically bad at D now.  However, he has perfect size and is absolutely competent when he locks in.  With Stevens and some vets around him, he'll be fine.

« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2017, 04:28:32 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney

It's true Pho, but honestly could you do it.

Could you really take Dennis Smith JR number one Overall over Fultz.
I could.  Absolutely.  I think Danny could too.  Smith is a type-A competitor who lives to win.  Listen to some of his interviews.  He oozes competitiveness and confidence.  Fultz is more skilled, a better shooter, but also more casual and plays more of a finesse game.  I liken it to CP3 vs. Deron Williams.  Williams does a lot of things better on paper.  CP3 aces the neidnagel.

I also think the things that Smith is doing translate more directly.  He's a great floor general and a plus NBA athlete.  He understands winning and controls games single-handedly.  Fultz is a good, not great athlete.  He's going to have an adjustment to make against NBA athletes.  Fultz takes over games with ISO's, volume shooting, and a lot of getting downhill against softer defenses.

« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2017, 04:31:55 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney

Fultz is statistically bad at D now.  However, he has perfect size and is absolutely competent when he locks in.  With Stevens and some vets around him, he'll be fine.
His lateral quickness is medium and his defensive instincts look pretty bad to me.  I agree, he'll be fine, but this is not one of his strengths.  He's no Marcus Smart.  He doesn't need to be, obv, because his scoring instincts are off the charts.

« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2017, 05:19:38 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Payton has looked good. It's time to give him his due. Also, he's a plus defender. People are acting like Marcus Smart is a great player. He is not currently. Maybe one day he can be. However, currently, Tony Allen is better than him imo. Tony Allen has fared well against players like Kevin Durant. I would refer to Durant's FG% during the Memphis Playoff series. He is clearly an exceptional defender.

I think Payton is>Allen>Smart. Payton is a better PG imo, scorer, and a notch below defensively, but still good.

« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2017, 07:03:38 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Payton has looked good. It's time to give him his due. Also, he's a plus defender. People are acting like Marcus Smart is a great player. He is not currently. Maybe one day he can be. However, currently, Tony Allen is better than him imo. Tony Allen has fared well against players like Kevin Durant. I would refer to Durant's FG% during the Memphis Playoff series. He is clearly an exceptional defender.

I think Payton is>Allen>Smart. Payton is a better PG imo, scorer, and a notch below defensively, but still good.

Elfrid Payton?  I'm confused, what does he have to do with this thread?

Re: Dennis Smith Thread (Merged)
« Reply #74 on: February 02, 2017, 06:37:06 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867