Author Topic: Dennis Smith Thread (Merged)  (Read 18761 times)

2017 pg draft prospect Dennis Smith a good fit?
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2016, 10:57:16 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Dannis Smith so far from what I have seen , looks like a shorter wingspan, a tad slower version of Russel Westbrook (check out highlights below if you have not seen Smith Jr. before).   Just an electric player regardless.  Really quick out on the open floor. Can get to the basket with ease. But I'm surprised as to how decent his play has been in the halfcourt.  Doesn't force up too many bad shots and passes the ball to the open man.  An improved shooter than past reputation indicates. 

Lets say the Celts pick outside of the top 3 at the 2017 draft. I think Smith is the type of player that makes sense in terms of talent level, potential and insurance (in case IT4 gets injured or walks during FA).   Rozier can always be traded.  During FA period next season try to sign a PF like Ibaka or plan 2, Patrick Patterson (plan 3 , rush Yabu, Zizic)

#4 Dennis Smith Jr. 6'2, 200 pounds.

Highlights
Dennis Smith JR. (NC State) Highlights vs Tennessee St // 12.10.16 // 19 Pts, 6 Ast, 4 Reb
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-NoNL6yAzI

Dennis Smith JR. vs Loyola (chi) // 11.26.16 // 30 Pts, 7 Ast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-IyH7zClT8
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 11:19:05 AM by triboy16f »

Re: 2017 pg draft prospect Dennis Smith a good fit?
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2016, 11:10:30 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Dannis Smith so far from what I have seen , looks like a shorter wingspan, a tad slower version of Russel Westbrook (check out highlights below if you have not seen Smith Jr. before).   Just an electric player regardless.  Really quick out on the open floor.  But I'm surprised as to how decent his play has been in the halfcourt.  Doesn't force up too many bad shots and passes the ball to the open man.  An improved shooter than past reputation indicates. 

Lets say the Celts pick outside of the top 3 at the 2017 draft. I think Smith is the type of player that makes sense in terms of talent level, potential and insurance (in case IT4 gets injured or walks during FA).   Rozier can always be traded.  During FA period next season try to sign a PF like Ibaka or plan 2, Patrick Patterson (plan 3 , rush Yabu, Zizic)

Highlights
Dennis Smith JR. (NC State) Highlights vs Tennessee St // 12.10.16 // 19 Pts, 6 Ast, 4 Reb

honestly, he reminds me of a smaller, less athletic version of Smart.

I wonder if Smith Jr. would be able to still get his against NBA players? 
Marcus, once upon a time, filled it up against college kids too...

Smith Jr. might prove to be tough to play with if you have to hide him on defense.  He seems a step slow to cover NBA points, and too small to switch onto swings. 

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2016, 11:17:50 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Dannis Smith so far from what I have seen , looks like a shorter wingspan, a tad slower version of Russel Westbrook (check out highlights below if you have not seen Smith Jr. before).   Just an electric player regardless.  Really quick out on the open floor.  But I'm surprised as to how decent his play has been in the halfcourt.  Doesn't force up too many bad shots and passes the ball to the open man.  An improved shooter than past reputation indicates. 

Highlights

Smith Jr. might prove to be tough to play with if you have to hide him on defense.  He seems a step slow to cover NBA points, and too small to switch onto swings.

really???

Smith is much quicker/explosive/fast twitch on the offensive end than smart.

Better ball handler too

I also think both can work well together off the bench

« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2016, 11:30:12 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Highlights

really???

Better ball handler too

I have a tough time judging college players. 
Smart looked like Damien Lillard at OKC, very similar to how Smith Jr. now looks like Westbrook Jr. against college players. 

How will they do against pros? 
Folks last year were claiming Kriss Dunn as the second coming of Dwayne Wade, based on his college highlights.  How's that working out?

I've seen enough of these college crops to know in very few cases does it actually translate.  Smith Jr. has some game though, and like Smart, he has a knack for the big moment.  He can shoot better too, it seems.  But he's not as big/strong and doesn't seem to have the same potential for prolific defense that Marcus did/does. 

I think that limits him.  Athletically, no one matches the NBA's elite players.  That could be where Smith Jr struggles at the next level, particularly on defense. 

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2016, 11:37:32 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
The best comparison I've seen for Smith is Steve Francis.

I'm fine with selecting him at like 6 and then trading Rozier. The problem is, Smart isn't as valuable as an off ball player, so drafting a point guard might mean the end of Rozier and Smart or Thomas.

I'd rather have Fultz, Tatum, Jackson, Ball, and Monk over Smith. I wouldn't want to take him above any of those guys. Position wise, I'd rather have a wing like Jackson/Tatum or an off ball scorer like Monk or even a great big like Giles (if he's healthy) than a point guard. Point guard is both deep on our team and deep league wide.

That being said, if a pg is better relative to league wide pg than any of the other players are relative to their position then you draft a pg.

Ball and Fultz are guys I'd be willing to move on from Smart/Rozier maybe eventually Thomas for, not sure I feel that way about Smith (but I reserve the right to change my mind)
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2016, 11:39:59 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Highlights

really???

Better ball handler too

Smart looked like Damien Lillard at OKC, very similar to how Smith Jr. now looks like Westbrook Jr. against college players. 

Folks last year were claiming Kriss Dunn as the second coming of Dwayne Wade, based on his college highlights.  How's that working out?

I've seen enough of these college crops to know in very few cases does it actually translate.  Smith Jr. has some game though, and like Smart, he has a knack for the big moment.  He can shoot better too, it seems.  But he's not as big/strong and doesn't seem to have the same potential for prolific defense that Marcus did/does. 

I think that limits him.  Athletically, no one matches the NBA's elite players.  That could be where Smith Jr struggles at the next level, particularly on defense.

Go to the last 10 sec of this highlight

Can Smart do this?

Dunn is no dwade. No way. Not as explosive nor strong. He is not a SG either

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2016, 11:49:44 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Highlights

really???

Better ball handler too

Can Smart do this?

the windmill dunk?  with no defender in site? 
I tend to look for different attributes when evaluating players. 

« Reply #37 on: December 28, 2016, 12:09:29 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Highlights

really???

Better ball handler too

Can Smart do this?

the windmill dunk?  with no defender in site? 
I tend to look for different attributes when evaluating players.

I understand why you maybe skeptical about some of these prospects. And yes against inferior talent many nba role players can even look like superstars

But Smith Jr. Is a higher offensive talent than Smart or Rozier.

Smith Jr. 1st of all doesnt force up bad shots frequently nor has shown is inefficient on the floor. Something smart and rozier did/was at the college level. 

Dunn took 3 seasons to put it together at the college level. and like Smart had to bump and grind, force buckets in near the basket .   At the nba level you cant do this frequently (unless exceptional stront talent) considering how strong, athletic, smart big players are

Smith Jr.  Gets by his man with ease (college level). And can make westbrook like athletic buckets. Top body control plus hangtime plus skills to put the ball in. As well in transition looks like is running at 75 percent.  Rozier is fast too but just doesnt have 'sure ' handles. Plus is just a mediocre passer

Dennis Smith OWNS Duke (first win for NC State at Duke since 1995)
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2017, 09:36:34 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Smith drops 32 points, 6 assists, 4 rebounds, and 2 steals AT Duke!!!!

He is getting closer and closer to his explosive self pre-ACL injury!!!!

Smitty77

P.S.  Tatum had a dunk that barely got over the rim!!!  He does NOT look to have much vertical at ALL!!!!!

Re: Dennis Smith OWNS Duke (first win for NC State at Duke since 1995)
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2017, 09:44:55 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Smitty77

P.S.  Tatum had a dunk that barely got over the rim!!!  He does NOT look to have much vertical at ALL!!!!!

I hear you man, I talked myself out of Tatum already.

DSJ looks nice but with IT it's just not a great fit.

Can you imagine a Dennis Smith JR, and Thomas starting backcourt?

It would be explosive and they could avg 55 points a game, but tiny. They might allow 60 points per game.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 09:50:23 PM by KG Living Legend »

« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2017, 09:59:22 PM »

Offline lantinm

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 38

Smitty77

Smitty - Tatum has PLENTY of vertical. He took off from pretty far out on that play and absorbed contact. He's a tremendous SF prospect and who can easily get his own shot  at will. He's also a very good rebounder and emerging defender. Smith is an excellent prospect too, but I'd like to see him get his teammates involved more and bring it on the defensive end.

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2017, 10:05:07 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
If you take Smith...IT is gone...not my first choice.

« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2017, 10:10:31 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I am NOT saying we should take Smith!!!!  The LAST thing, IMHO, we need is another guard!!!

I think the ACC will have two players taken in the top 4, Smith and Isaac!!!

I WANT Isaac very badly!!!!

Smitty77

P.S.  I am just thrilled for NC State and for my son who is a freshman there and is out celebrating!!!

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2017, 10:12:53 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
I am NOT saying we should take Smith!!!!  The LAST thing, IMHO, we need is another guard!!!

Smitty77

P.S.  I am just thrilled for NC State and for my son who is a freshman there and is out celebrating!!!

Cool!  I like Isaac too.

« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2017, 10:18:34 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Smitty77

Cool!  I like Isaac too.

Great minds:-)))  Isaac chose FSU due to their weight training program.  He came in at 185 pounds and is up to 210.  Still VERY skinny, but putting the pounds on!!  He is an excellent interior AND exterior defender!!!!

Smitty77