Author Topic: If we get a top 3 pick, who are you taking?  (Read 13035 times)

Re: If we get a top 3 pick, who are you taking?
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2016, 03:03:51 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129

Dude, how can you like Jackson though? You didn't like Brown last year, but you like Jackson this year? I'm so confused. I don't see how Brown wasn't better than him last year. Jackson can't even dribble.

To be honest with you, I haven't paid much attention to the prospects this year.

I'm just saying, I would hope that the best prospect available would turn out to be one of the wings at the top of this class.  I don't know that that will end up being the case.

Oh makes sense. You won't like Jackson for sure. He can't really do much right now. He's very raw and his athleticism is overrated imo. I was really disappointed when I saw him play.

« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2016, 03:43:00 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
My top 3 goes:
1. Tatum
    Such a skilled game for a young player. Footwork is so smooth, midrange touch is beautiful, a sweet stroke that will eventually transition out to the 3 point line, has NBA athleticism and measurables. Only thing I would knock on him is his inconsistency from 3 besides that probably the best all around prospect and so much better than a Brandon Ingram from last year's draft.
2. Fultz
    This guy is perfect for the NBA game, 6'6" size for a PG, very tight handle, sweet stroke from both mid range and 3, can pass it/run an offense, can be the main scoring option, overall there is very little he can't do on the basketballl court. Reminds me of an explosive De'Angelo Russell which is scary to think about.
3. Rabb
    This is probably a surprise for most, but I think from a skill perspective it's not that farfetched because of how well he's fit with our offense and how much talent this guy already has. For one he's a dynamic rebounder, solid passer out of the high post, good touch around the basket, good footwork, sweet mid-range stroke that could potentially stretch out to the 3, very good post game with an array of moves including fadeaways, up and unders, and drop steps, solid free throw shooter, andddfensiveky has the ability to switch on screens and pick up guards. Not the greatest shot blocker, but has shown he can be about average in that department. Strong despite thinner frame. Humble and quiet. Just a fantastic fit in Boston and a dynamic frontcourt talent. Have heard some Chris Bosh comparisons and I think he has played up to that level. Don't think he's the same athlete, but can still be a very good player nonetheless.

« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2016, 03:51:19 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
  • Tatum
  • Trade up for Tatum
  • Fultz
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2016, 04:49:55 PM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
My top 3 goes:
1. Tatum
    Such a skilled game for a young player. Footwork is so smooth, midrange touch is beautiful, a sweet stroke that will eventually transition out to the 3 point line, has NBA athleticism and measurables. Only thing I would knock on him is his inconsistency from 3 besides that probably the best all around prospect and so much better than a Brandon Ingram from last year's draft.
2. Fultz
    This guy is perfect for the NBA game, 6'6" size for a PG, very tight handle, sweet stroke from both mid range and 3, can pass it/run an offense, can be the main scoring option, overall there is very little he can't do on the basketballl court. Reminds me of an explosive De'Angelo Russell which is scary to think about.
3. Rabb
    This is probably a surprise for most, but I think from a skill perspective it's not that farfetched because of how well he's fit with our offense and how much talent this guy already has. For one he's a dynamic rebounder, solid passer out of the high post, good touch around the basket, good footwork, sweet mid-range stroke that could potentially stretch out to the 3, very good post game with an array of moves including fadeaways, up and unders, and drop steps, solid free throw shooter, andddfensiveky has the ability to switch on screens and pick up guards. Not the greatest shot blocker, but has shown he can be about average in that department. Strong despite thinner frame. Humble and quiet. Just a fantastic fit in Boston and a dynamic frontcourt talent. Have heard some Chris Bosh comparisons and I think he has played up to that level. Don't think he's the same athlete, but can still be a very good player nonetheless.

Agree with these as my current top 3 (TP for you!), though I would switch Fultz to #1.  He looks great, and with 3 of our guards coming up on new contracts it would be nice to snag a high prospect on a rookie deal.  If we lose/trade one of our back court players Fultz would be a great fit as a replacement. 

Tatum looks like a young Pierce, enough said.  The only reason I don't put him higher is because we have Jaylen already and our back court contract situation.  Both guys would be great though.

Love Rabb as a fit for Boston, if he could bulk up for the NBA game he could be a real threat.  Would be cool to see him and Jaylen reunite in the NBA!

« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2016, 05:15:20 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
1. Fultz
2. Tatum
3. Jackson
4. DSJR
Next few players: Issac, ball, and the two Kentucky guards

« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2016, 05:17:54 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
1. Fultz
2. Tatum
3. Jackson
4. DSJR

What do you like about Jackson?

« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2016, 07:27:22 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Eh, it's way too early, and I'll almost certainly change my order every week up until draft night, but for now, the top of my draft board would look something like:

1. Fultz
2. Ball
3/4. Tatum/Jackson (still going back and forth between these two)
5. Isaac
6. Markkanen (yes, I know most have him a couple slots lower.  Sue me.)
7. Smith
8. Giles ... wild card based on his health

The truth is, there are still a zillion open questions on all these guys plus lots of other names that will end up changing all this around.

But right now, I like Fultz as straight up THE most phenomenal individual basketball talent in this draft.  His quickness and body control are freakish and he's totally into the game.  He can get to any spot on the floor and score from anywhere.  He can shoot, pass, dribble.  There is nothing not to like about Fultz.  I also like Ball a lot as a super creative gamer who may not have the same physical gifts but has tremendous vision, skill and creative playmaking on both ends of the floor.  I think there is a good chance that the two end up being compared in the league for years.

I keep flipping back and forth, hearing all the pro and con arguments on Jackson and Tatum.  I still haven't had time to really study either so I don't have a strong opinion on each yet.

Isaac is intriguing.  He looks long and smooth with a nice shot and it's important to pay attention to the fact that he's really grabbing a lot of rebounds at 10.5 per 40, pace-adjusted.  That's something that tends to translate well and speaks to the notion that despite his slender frame, he's not necessarily a whispy pushover.   Still, I've read comments both pro-and-con about him that make me want to see more.

Most boards I've seen seem to have Markaanen in the 8-12 range, so me listing him up at #6 may look like a reach.  But I think this kid (just 19 right now and will turn 20 just before the draft) is primed to climb the draft boards by the end of the season.  He's grown to a legit 7', his body is clearly putting on weight and looks like he should be able to hold a very solid frame as a pro and he can shoot the lights out from outside.  And he plays with energy and purpose on both ends of the court.  Good fundamentals from several years of FIBA ball.  He's also in a very solid program at AZ.

I like Smith as talent, so I have him up there based on BPA.  But I see him as the least fit for the Cs when it comes to the top PGs so I hope from a 'need' perspective that we don't end up with him.   Ball and Fultz both strike me as more positionally versatile on both ends of the floor, being able to play on or off the ball so have added value for the way the Cs play and the assets we already have on roster.  So if we end up taking a PG, I'd rather it was one of those two.  That said, Smith looks like he'll be a stud NBA PG for whomever takes him.  He's explosive and unlike some guards we've seen, I have high confidence his ability to get to the FT line will translate.  If Danny were to make some trade that dramatically changed the look of our current roster before the draft I'd be fine with taking him.

Giles ... it's all about the knees.   
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2016, 07:43:05 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Dude, how can you like Jackson though? You didn't like Brown last year, but you like Jackson this year? I'm so confused. I don't see how Brown wasn't better than him last year. Jackson can't even dribble.

To be honest with you, I haven't paid much attention to the prospects this year.

I'm just saying, I would hope that the best prospect available would turn out to be one of the wings at the top of this class.  I don't know that that will end up being the case.

Oh makes sense. You won't like Jackson for sure. He can't really do much right now. He's very raw and his athleticism is overrated imo. I was really disappointed when I saw him play.
When did you see Jackson?  He was tentative early on but he's looked much better since Self got on to him and told him he was the best player on the team.  His 3pt and FT shooting need work but otherwise he's looked really good.  Don't know where you're getting the "he can't dribble" from because that is definitely not true.   

« Reply #68 on: December 14, 2016, 10:36:29 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
1. Fultz
2. Tatum
3. Jackson
4. DSJR

What do you like about Jackson?
He looks like a Derozen type of player with a bit of Paul Pierce

« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2016, 10:56:02 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
My top 3 goes:
1. Tatum
2. Fultz
3. Rabb
Rabb was projected as a late lottery pick last draft, which is why he pulled out of the draft.  I have a hard time believing that in a much better and deeper draft he would go any higher than he would have in the prior draft.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2016, 12:02:30 PM »

Offline Bostoncelticsforlife7

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
My favorite prospect changes about once a week,but right now I like Dennis Smith Jr. He is everything I want in a point guard, true leader, not afraid of the big shot, prime Derrick Rose level athlete, has great vision, and plays with great pace. Giles can pass Smith if he plays really well when he comes back. For right now here is where I'm at:
1.Smith
2.Fultz
3.Ball
4.Giles
5.Isaac
6.Jackson
7.Tatum
Warning: I am a Marucs Smart homer

« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2016, 01:30:01 PM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
It will be interesting to see how the rest of the season plays out for Boston.

If we fail to land a key piece through trade, and can't get out of the first round of the playoffs, I think it might be time to consider the youth movement moving forward.  Building around Brown, Rozier, Smart, and the 17 and 18 picks would not be a bad backup plan.

It is a shame that we missed out on KD.  That would have been a true "lightning in a bottle" rebuild!

« Reply #72 on: December 14, 2016, 01:56:51 PM »

Offline Bostoncelticsforlife7

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 18
I kind of hope that happens. I am scared that we are overpaying the wrong guys. We gave Horford 26 mil, and I am not a fan of paying Isaiah and Bradley over 20 mil each. You can't win a championship with those guys are your best players. We need to be saving that money for true superstar caliber players like Jaylen brown possibly and the 2017 Brooklyn pick.
Warning: I am a Marucs Smart homer

« Reply #73 on: December 14, 2016, 03:00:38 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
I kind of hope that happens. I am scared that we are overpaying the wrong guys. We gave Horford 26 mil, and I am not a fan of paying Isaiah and Bradley over 20 mil each. You can't win a championship with those guys are your best players. We need to be saving that money for true superstar caliber players like Jaylen brown possibly and the 2017 Brooklyn pick.

The thing is, by the time Jaylen Brown is due for his first big contract (summer of 2020), Al Horford's big contract will already be over (ends at the latest summer of 2020 if he picks up his player option).

The 2017 C's pick wouldn't be eligible for a big contract until 2021, the 2018 Nets pick won't be eligible until 2022.  If either Bradley or Thomas  sign 3 year contracts (more likely for Thomas than Bradley), that'll take them to 2021, 4 years takes them to 2022, 5 years takes them to 2023.

There's no point in saving money now to pay free agents 4 years from now when we can just pay players now and still pay potential future superstars in the future.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #74 on: December 14, 2016, 03:04:45 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

The thing is, by the time Jaylen Brown is due for his first big contract (summer of 2020), Al Horford's big contract will already be over (ends at the latest summer of 2020 if he picks up his player option).

The 2017 C's pick wouldn't be eligible for a big contract until 2021, the 2018 Nets pick won't be eligible until 2022.  If either Bradley or Thomas  sign 3 year contracts (more likely for Thomas than Bradley), that'll take them to 2021, 4 years takes them to 2022, 5 years takes them to 2023.

There's no point in saving money now to pay free agents 4 years from now when we can just pay players now and still pay potential future superstars in the future.

This is why, if the Celtics play it right, they can totally have their cake & eat it too.  A fascinating next half decade to decade is shaping up if Ainge plays this right.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team