Author Topic: If we get a top 3 pick, who are you taking?  (Read 13040 times)

Re: If we get a top 3 pick, who are you taking?
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2016, 02:05:44 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
I'll take whoever the best prospect is, though I'd hope that would end up being either Jackson or Tatum.  The Celts need more athletic wing size.

We already have brown.. 

I agree take the best available prospect but its not jackson or tatum

With Brown and Crowder, we have 2 players with the size and physical tools to reliably defend 2-4 and play on the wing offensively.

Look at the Warriors as an example: they have 5 players of that sort in their rotation, in addition to Livingston, who is 6'7''.

That's my ideal.  It's really hard to have enough athletic 6'6''+ wings in today's league.

I'd like to see the Celts have a 3 guard rotation with IT, Bradley, and Smart/Rozier, a 2-3 big rotation with Horford + somebody else, and 4-5 athletic wing/swings filling out the rest of the rotation.
I think this would be a huge mistake. We dont need two young guys at small forward with top level potential fighting for playing time.

« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2016, 02:07:13 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
Fultz , Isaac, Giles (wildcard)

Don't get the hype on Isaac. He looks like a bust to me. Not really great at anything.

« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2016, 02:10:38 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129
I'll take whoever the best prospect is, though I'd hope that would end up being either Jackson or Tatum.  The Celts need more athletic wing size.

We already have brown.. 

With Brown and Crowder, we have 2 players with the size and physical tools to reliably defend 2-4 and play on the wing offensively.

Look at the Warriors as an example: they have 5 players of that sort in their rotation, in addition to Livingston, who is 6'7''.

That's my ideal.  It's really hard to have enough athletic 6'6''+ wings in today's league.

I'd like to see the Celts have a 3 guard rotation with IT, Bradley, and Smart/Rozier, a 2-3 big rotation with Horford + somebody else, and 4-5 athletic wing/swings filling out the rest of the rotation.
I think this would be a huge mistake. We dont need two young guys at small forward with top level potential fighting for playing time.

Dude, what are you talking about? You don't draft for need. You draft BPA first. Second, Tatum and Brown can play 4? And we need to get rid of the guards anyways. If you haven't noticed, we don't have a star. Tatum has a chance to be, and so does Brown. Could you imagine if those two turn out to be stars? How disgusting our team would be? How lengthy we would be?

« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2016, 02:14:15 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

We already have brown.. 

I'm with Pho on this one. I think Tatum and Brown not only could play together but would be a great compliment to each other.

I think how often Smart is forced to play out of position at the 3 is a strong argument that there are plenty of minutes for Tatum, even with Brown in the fold. Split Smart's minutes at the 3 and Jerebko's minutes among Brown/Tatum and there are absolutely enough minutes to develop both.

The wing position is the most difficult to fill in the NBA, adding another potential star at that position is a great idea IMO, especially because a huge benefit of wings is their ability to play multiple positions.

Earlier someone compared Tatum to Porter (sorry I didn't quote you the posts below didn't go back that far). I think body wise Porter and Tatum are more similar than Pierce and Tatum, but Tatum has the scorer's instinct that Porter doesn't possess.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2016, 02:17:46 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

We already have brown.. 

Dude, what are you talking about? You don't draft for need. You draft BPA first. Second, Tatum and Brown can play 4? And we need to get rid of the guards anyways. If you haven't noticed, we don't have a star. Tatum has a chance to be, and so does Brown. Could you imagine if those two turn out to be stars? How disgusting our team would be? How lengthy we would be?
I think people are hung up because they are both listed as 3's. Long term they could play together similarly to if Jimmy Butler and Paul George were on the same team. I'm not saying that Tatum and Brown are Butler and George just wanted to give an example of a wing combo people can imagine playing together well.

« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2016, 02:19:35 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79

We already have brown.. 

Im taking BPA unless it's a small forward. I'm looking at a timeline of 4-5 years from now and I'm not interested in drafting similar players. Brown has a tough enough time getting playing time and we are better off having all stars at different positions down the road.

« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2016, 02:24:31 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Giles, Fultz, Smith, in that order.

« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2016, 02:28:11 PM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

We already have brown.. 

I think people are hung up because they are both listed as 3's. Long term they could play together similarly to if Jimmy Butler and Paul George were on the same team. I'm not saying that Tatum and Brown are Butler and George just wanted to give an example of a wing combo people can imagine playing together well.

Exactly.  Defensively, between the two of them, they can guard the 2, 3, or 4 positions.  We've already seen Brown play the 4 and Tatum is a little bit larger.  That would give the team the flexibility to switch from a small to a large lineup.

« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2016, 02:32:40 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
B.P.A.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2016, 02:35:44 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
Giles would be at the top of my list if the medical team cleared him. I don't really expect that to be the case though.

« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2016, 02:37:25 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Surprising not many like isaac... Kid has ingram written all over him... If he can fill up. Wow

« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2016, 02:37:48 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

I don't view it that way at all.

An athletic, versatile wing can play 2-4.  We have a big hole on the wing.  Crowder and Brown are not enough to fill 48 minutes at just the 3 right now, let alone the 2 and the 4.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2016, 02:38:11 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Giles would be at the top of my list if the medical team cleared him. I don't really expect that to be the case though.

We will see once he is back .... Look at RW, he hasnt had any relapse

« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2016, 02:38:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Dude, how can you like Jackson though? You didn't like Brown last year, but you like Jackson this year? I'm so confused. I don't see how Brown wasn't better than him last year. Jackson can't even dribble.

To be honest with you, I haven't paid much attention to the prospects this year.

I'm just saying, I would hope that the best prospect available would turn out to be one of the wings at the top of this class.  I don't know that that will end up being the case. 
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2016, 02:47:40 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley

We will see once he is back .... Look at RW, he hasnt had any relapse
Did Westbrook have the same injury history as Giles?

Giles tore his ACL, MCL and Meniscus in his left knee as a sophomore in HS and then his acl in his right knee before his senior season. Combine major surgeries on both knees with a surgery before the season, he scares the hell out of me.

http://www.fayobserver.com/blogs/sports/duke-s-harry-giles-says-his-knee-is-feeling-better/article_9a00655c-5fe8-11e6-aa11-57615113b867.html