Author Topic: If we get a top 3 pick, who are you taking?  (Read 12960 times)

If we get a top 3 pick, who are you taking?
« on: December 13, 2016, 02:32:21 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Who are people's top 3 in order of preference?

I'm still not sure with mine. I've got Fultz and Dennis Smith up there, but I like Tatum and Jackson too.

Dennis Smith looks like he could be Steve Francis or Derrick Rose. Fultz looks like Westbrook/Jeff Teague clone.

Who are your top 3 guys?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

Re: If we get a top 3 pick, who are you taking?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 02:56:39 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Fultz all day..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 03:04:49 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I have my list in my signature.

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 03:11:22 AM »

Offline slightly biased bias fan

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 310

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 03:41:01 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Not big on any of the top although Isaac is growing on me at this point.  Not on anyone else's so far. he's 6'10 and athletic which I like. Haven't watched him too much though.  Giles is more hyped but Isaac as an athletic 3/4 could go well with what we have in Brown and Horford.  He's really skinny.  Almost too much of a beanpole right now.  Reminds me of Walter McCarty but more talented..

The hair has to go but I think he's somewhat overlooked because of it.  He's on par with Ingram and his ceiling may be better some may say.  probably worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9bcil8pbck

I'm really not that big on anyone yet.  I see a lot of solid typical overhyped guys. josh jackson, dennis smith. All good players.  Reminds me of a mashburn, jim jackson type draft though. Even Isaac reminds me of mashburn in ways.  Could be better.  josh jackson reminds me of jim. fultz, smith are going to be good college players but again it's like marbury and buddy hield to  me.  these guys are not necessarily the second coming of durant or curry. 
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 04:01:27 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 03:54:24 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
dennis smith is a really solid player.  I think he has the best chance to be a star right now.  Chauncey Billups.  He isn't chris paul.

lonzo ball is also being compared to kidd. He's more like aaron gordon type prospect at pg.  could pan out. might not.

Trade the pick. We'll end up taking Giles or Isaac or someone else will show up.

Fultz is a marbury clone.

josh jackson will probably end up being the most hyped like the next wiggins and he's not that.

If I'm picking right now I'm taking Isaac and he's basically a glorified walter mccarty to replace KO.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 03:59:50 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 03:58:24 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
No idea yet, but I predict Chad Ford has a stroke before June '17.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 04:07:33 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
maybe jaylen's teammate Ivan Rabb will make a run up the rankings. Not that high on him either myself but decent player.  Will probably get some good hype because he is the lone guy at Cal now.  Have to be careful with that though. He wasn't a top guy last year and he still probably isn't.

Unless someone comes out of nowhere this upcomign draft I would do whatever possible to stay away from.  Would trade the pick for Noel in a heartbeat value wise.

Guys like Tatum and Hartenstein are not it.  These guys are not paul george sitting down the draft either.  Or Danny Granger for that matter.  Or dirk.  Or even Dragan Bender.  Otto Porter maybe in a really lucky world.  Lawawu etc.  Overhype.  The are more than likely busts who could become shane battier if they are lucky.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 04:19:03 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 04:24:03 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Tatum - his game his so smooth.  He reminds me of Pierce, but an inch or two taller.
Ball - 6'5" point guard.  Good athleticism, strong handle, great passing, amazing court vision
Fultz - I haven't had a chance to watch him play, but everyone is raving about him.  He's another tall point guard who would play well with our current undersized guards.

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 04:26:27 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Tatum reminds me of Otto Porter. Porter is not as good as Pierce.  Another duke bound prospect who chad ford will hype.  He's good.  I thiink he's more comparable to porter though and porter isn't as good as pierce and tatum might not be as good as porter.  He reminds me a lot of ron mercer.

I'm telling you you have to be careful with hyping guys like this.  Paul George, jaylen brown, jimmy butler players like that are usually overlooked because their games aren't as developed but physically they are more geared towards the nba.

Even Pierce was overlooked that way when he had an nba body but didn't play that well in college.

Chad Ford and guys like Chris Wallace are draft guide guys and their inexperience in drafting shows.  Chris Wallace was here when Pitino drafted Mercer if i'm not mistaken.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 04:36:26 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 04:34:53 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
Tatum reminds me of Otto Porter. Porter is not as good as Pierce.  Another duke bound prospect who chad ford will hype.  He's good.  I thiink he's more comparable to porter though and porter isn't as good as pierce and tatum might not be as good as porter.  He reminds me a lot of ron mercer.

I'm telling you you have to be careful with hyping guys like this.  Paul George, jaylen brown, jimmy butler players like that are usually overlooked because their games aren't as developed but physically they are more geared towards the nba.

Even Pierce was overlooked that way when he had an nba body but didn't play that well in college.

Chad Ford and guys like Chris Wallace are draft guide guys and their inexperience in drafting shows.  Chris Wallace was here when Pitino drafted Mercer if i'm not mistaken.

Pierce played very well in college.  The knock against him was his soft looking body and a perceived lack of athleticism.  I'm probably getting carried away with Tatum since he's only played 3 games so far, but I was just really impressed with him.

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 04:37:31 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I could be wrong.  Even Red called Bob Cousy a local yokel and refused to draft him at first, but I more like guys who find players. DA, Red, Belichick these guys have/had a real eye for certain things.

That's what I find interesting about pierce though is who was calling him that.  I wasn't. I always thought he was misconstrued that way when he definately had an nba body.  Workhorse vs thoroughbred and athleticism.  Emmitt Smith in football has the same kind of body vs a guy like barry sanders.

Pierce may never run the fastest or jump the highest but there was still something very special about him.

He was a freak athlete imo and I've always said this. He's very thick and build very solid for a guy that size. He was a freak athlete.

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2016, 04:40:52 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEH24eprlGY

Paul Pierce freak athlete. just a different kind. His body control and ability to read situations for a guy that  size is amazing to me. Super durable.

jason tatum in comparison

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDF1-vM6sY0

nice player but i dont see paul pierce.  i see otto porter.  pierce's intelligence was also off teh charts.  Pierce was special.  Tatum to me is a nice player. I see the similariteis in their games but something missing there.

His shot release is very similar to Pierce.

Otto Porter at Georgetown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az8a0ZlTw7g

Porter is longer but skinnier like Tatum.  Tatum is more a guard version of that.

Pierce's bone structure was just thicker. He wasn't muscular like that but his bone structure is what does it for me.  More durable as well because of that.

Ron Mercer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMead7kC5Wc

Again skinnier.  More muscularly defined.  Some players are able to use that to their advantage. Others aren't. 

Dragan Bender is skinny but his upside is higher than Mercers ever was for example.  Paul George was skinny coming out but bulked up.

Paul George is more reminiscent of Pierce or even more a guy like Tracy Mcgrady in college

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKE1Tj1GSAI

Watch Tatum again after watching George and Pierce.  And then watch Otto Porter.  Tatum is much smaller. He's not steph curry either.  Nice player though. Steph Curry had his own reasons for being special.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 05:19:35 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2016, 05:15:43 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Pierce and George also make it look easy too like college is also just too easy for them.  They got bored.  I think jaylen had some of that too.  They look more like men amongst boys.

They aren't doing anything that spectacular on the surface with some of the mixtapes some of these guys have.  Even George on his dunks he looks like it just comes effortlessly.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 05:22:41 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2016, 05:21:05 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
In the videos you are comparing Pierce from his junior year of college to Tatum's senior year in high school.  Have you seen any of Tatum's Duke games?  He has gained a lot of weight/muscle since high school.  To me, Tatum shows excellent body control in creating mid range shots as well as drawing fouls driving to the hoop.  That along with his ball handling skills, outside shot, and free throw shooting is very reminiscent of Pierce.