Author Topic: How does Danny sleep at night?  (Read 5443 times)

How does Danny sleep at night?
« on: December 10, 2016, 05:35:41 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I mean what he did to the Brooklyn Nets must be a crime somewhere in the world.

Why doesn't this trade     get talked about more as one of the most one-sided trades in the history of sports?

He should really consider giving them back one of the picks left.

HEHEHEHEHE

Re: How does Danny sleep at night?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 06:12:19 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
He probably doesn't when he imagines this team without IT shooting bricks and Amir and Zeller failing to grab a rebound late in games  :laugh:
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 06:47:32 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Ripping off Russian billionaires is patriotic.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 09:03:54 AM by Chris22 »

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 06:55:43 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
It probably will be talked about as one of the most one-sided trades once we get a sense of what the players he drafts turns out to be like.

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 07:15:59 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
We haven't netted much from that particular trade yet. Sure, it made us bad enough to get Smart and draft Young and Brown, but it's not as though we are sitting here with a superstar.

I often wonder what could have happened if the Celtics retooled for the 2014 season around the aging superstars and Rondo, if they could have landed a major free agent to continue the good run instead of blowing it up.
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 07:15:59 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Thought this thread was going to be about how Ainge has failed to find a starting caliber player with his last three lotto picks.   

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 07:49:31 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
don't really know

Sleeping Pills  ?

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 01:11:45 AM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247

Why doesn't this trade     get talked about more as one of the most one-sided trades in the history of sports?

HEHEHEHEHE

I wrote if there was ever a trade the NBA should have blocked, it was that one. I'm not complaining. It's akin to throwing the spitball. It wasn't really cheating. It's like buying something you can never return and the Nets got burned as bad as it could have gone.

No teams seem to be tanking anymore.

They are 1-9 at home.

Maybe their ceiling is Brad Stevens year one around 25 wins.

Tankathon has them at #4, a negative game and a half out of first place. They put us third in the power rankings.

"4, 33, 56, 58"

Basically we are looking at a top pick and the rest scrubs. You can't count on mid first to late first round. Those are rare. You might get a back of the rotation player if you want to wait two or three years. Rozier looks very promising.

Danny did look worried in the stands, but maybe it was something he ate. Tommy sounds enthusiastic.

You have to play Brown. They let Marcus play in his year one and a lot.

Danny's value is in time. He owns all the chips.

Amir and Zeller are done? That frees up serious cash. They had their chance. Bye-bye James Young. Thus, we also seem to have great odds of getting the next big free agent.

The Isaiah Thomas thread is embarrassing. I hope he doesn't see that. I love Isaiah. People miss that he improved on defense. He isn't a ball hog. A lot of times Marcus brings it up and Isaiah is the shooting guard. Or they pass it with motion. Isaiah is Hall-of Fame on offense. Everyone raves or most about Marcus on defense, but it's shameful to see people dissing our current best player. So I don't read it. A thread like this is nice.  It must be Felger up to something yet again causing trouble.

The 2009-10 Celtics were 50-32, close to the pace this one is. It's early. That was the year we perhaps lost in the Finals from losing Perk.

We have some work to do to catch Toronto. It can be done.

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2016, 10:31:24 AM »

Offline myselfonline

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12

HEHEHEHEHE

Technically, for 2017 it's a right to swap picks. If he really feels that badly about it, he can just not swap.

It was a win now move for the Nets at the time. It's really how they handled everything that year that caused their downfall.

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2016, 11:04:38 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
don't really know

Sleeping Pills  ?

By that you must mean Graeme crackers and milk.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2016, 11:08:12 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
On a pile of money next to a beautiful woman.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2016, 11:41:59 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
That trade was an Auerbachian move by Danny.

I even liked it for BKN at the time - Pierce and KG were supposed to go there and shore up DWill, Joe Johnson and Brooke Lopez...NOT as the main cogs but as SUPPORT.

For my rookie eyes I thought it was a good move by BOTH sides...but I'm not a GM. From what I've been told here most GMs thought BKN gave up too much.

Whatever.

The funny thing is that KG and PP ended up taking on much larger roles than envisioned as that 1st season went on - with Paul hitting game-winning shots in the playoffs "I didn't call bank, I called GAME!" and KG manning the middle for them once Brooke got hurt.

BK made it to the 2nd round in the playoffs that 1st season with those two and will more than likely won't even sniff the playoffs again for some time.

I'd hope that history - as far as BKN is concerned - looks back on PP34 and KG as two HUGE pieces for them that were called on to do much more than what was initially thought.

Now? KG is happily retired and Paul is on his horse about to ride off into the sunset (hopefully in a Celtics uniform soon).

And Danny will be smoking some cigars in the future I believe.

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2016, 12:39:51 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Ripping off Russian billionaires is patriotic.

TP

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2016, 02:27:18 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
We haven't netted much from that particular trade yet. Sure, it made us bad enough to get Smart and draft Young and Brown, but it's not as though we are sitting here with a superstar.

I often wonder what could have happened if the Celtics retooled for the 2014 season around the aging superstars and Rondo, if they could have landed a major free agent to continue the good run instead of blowing it up.
I don't and apparently neither did Danny.  The team not was capable of winning it all.  If I had to guess, I'd say 2nd round exit, just like the Nets.

Hindsight is always 20-20.  The trade looks better every year, but no one could have predicted at the time what would happen to the Nets and then the subsequent Nets trades.

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2016, 05:16:33 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Trade was OK, but Ainge hasn't really benefitted from it yet--except for Brown, a 19yo kid who's a couple years away.

The best thing he can do is parlay the remaining Nets picks into a trade for an impact player.
Horford isn't enough up front to get them to the next level.

Read on the tweets that there are rumors buzzing around the league of possible Celtics-Kings talks re Boogie. The talk reached the local Boston reporters. Don't know if there's fire there, but Ainge has to do something more up front if he wants to beat the Raptors this year.

I wonder if the Kings would take IT and a Nets pick for Boogie? Some think their ball distribution is better without IT. I don't know how Boogie fits, but he's playing well right now.

Here's the link.

http://nesn.com/2016/12/nba-rumors-nba-teams-see-traction-on-demarcus-cousins-celtics-trade/
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 09:43:04 PM by Bobshot »