Author Topic: Best PF trade options?  (Read 8943 times)

Best PF trade options?
« on: December 10, 2016, 09:15:53 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
We suck at PF. Who are the best players likely to become available at the PF spot before the trade deadline?

Keep in mind Ainge is unlikely to add salary for next season unless that player truly "moves the needle".  So any ideas would need to include a lesser player for the likes of Zeller or Johnson, or the Cs openness to move a core player in exchange for whoever returns.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: Best PF trade options?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 10:02:57 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
It's gotta be someone who can do dirty work and play defense on Centers, because otherwise Horford is the only post defender on the roster. Because of Horford's versatility, it could be a center also.

Ideally it's a high IQ, versatile big who can shoot, pass, and defend multiple positions. Also, it'd be nice if he could put some points on the board.

On top of all this, it'd be ideal if we didn't give up a ton of assets, because even if we get a guy like this, it is largely a lateral move that doesn't vault us into contention. We don't want to be like the Wizards and their constant short-term moves.

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 02:13:49 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Some possibilities -

* Derrick Favors -- Utah's offense has worked much better without him.
* Serge Ibaka -- Magic flat-lining. Doubts over him resigning.

* Taj Gibson - does Chicago move him for a more offensive PF? Olynyk?
* Kenneth Faried -- Denver does not seem tied to him.

* Rudy Gay -- a SF who plays some PF. Not the defender or rebounder needed though.
* Thaddeus Young -- Do Indy move Thad if out of the playoff picture in Feb?

* Markieff Morris -- Washington suck and need to rebuild around their star backcourt and Porter. I don't think anyone else on that roster is safe from the trade market.
* D.Motiejunas -- I believe the Rockets only matched his contract to trade him. Solid defender, post scorer and has a jump-shot.

Other options are moving Horford to PF and adding a C:

* Nerlens Noel
* Jokic
* Gortat
* Greg Monroe
* Nik Vucevic
* J.Okafor
* W.Cauley-Stein

* Biyombo
* Tyson Chandler
* Andrew Bogut

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 02:54:37 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
Some possibilities -

* Rudy Gay -- a SF who plays some PF. Not the defender or rebounder needed though.

* Markieff Morris -- Washington suck and need to rebuild around their star backcourt and Porter. I don't think anyone else on that roster is safe from the trade market.
* D.Motiejunas -- I believe the Rockets only matched his contract to trade him. Solid defender, post scorer and has a jump-shot.

Other options are moving Horford to PF and adding a C:

* Nerlens Noel
* Jokic
* Gortat
* Greg Monroe
* Nik Vucevic
* J.Okafor
* W.Cauley-Stein

* Biyombo
* Tyson Chandler
* Andrew Bogut

I like Favors, Gibson, and Faried as targets for us because they fit the scheme.

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2016, 03:38:34 PM »

Offline NHCelticsFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 179
I started a thread previously about Gortat being a target if the Wizards keep losing.  I think he would be a nice fit for this team,but he would add a decent chunk of salary for the next few years.

Okafor could be a huge buy low candidate.  Horford would be the perfect mentor for him, and he doesn't tie up a bunch of our cap space.  Depending on the asking price I would be very interested, as he would be an upgrade over our bench bigs at the very least.

There were rumors that Danny had a package for Okafor based around the Nets pick last season.  I don't see Philly getting anything close to that as of right now, so it might be a good low risk high reward scenario for Boston.

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2016, 03:51:44 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Other options are moving Horford to PF and adding a C

I'm opposed to this. Its a band aid that will not make us a stronger contender.

[\quote]

Good list.

Don't see Morris or Young moving the needle, so adding the money is suspect.

Pass on Gay, Motiejunas, and Gibson.

Hard to Favors as a true PF (should be playing C).

Like Ibaka but only in a value deal. He's not worth resigning to a large contract (he'll fall off a cliff).

I'm interested in Faried. Question is what it takes. Nets pick (plus Johnson) is probably too much. I'm certain folks here would vomit over the notion that Crowder be involved, and Chandler is absolutely balling anyway. No way I'm trading Bradley. Any creative ideas there?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2016, 03:52:11 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I like Favors, Gibson, and Faried as targets for us because they fit the scheme.

Really, none of them are stretch fours that can hit the three, so enlighten me how they fit our scheme.

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2016, 04:01:33 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

[\quote]

Good list.

Don't see Morris or Young moving the needle, so adding the money is suspect.

Pass on Gay, Motiejunas, and Gibson.

Hard to Favors as a true PF (should be playing C).

Like Ibaka but only in a value deal. He's not worth resigning to a large contract (he'll fall off a cliff).

I'm interested in Faried. Question is what it takes. Nets pick (plus Johnson) is probably too much. I'm certain folks here would vomit over the notion that Crowder be involved, and Chandler is absolutely balling anyway. No way I'm trading Bradley. Any creative ideas there?

The Memphis pick would get it done for Faried. Although I think that is overpaying.

Weren't the rumours that Faried was available for a late first last year?

Maybe the Celtics 2018 first round pick is all it takes. With Amir or Zeller as cap filler.

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2016, 04:09:25 PM »

Offline BDeCosta26

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 232

Really, none of them are stretch fours that can hit the three, so enlighten me how they fit our scheme.

Well, I think the idea is that Horford can play outside and hit 3's so we can fit an in the paint kinda guy like Favors for boards and easy points, but I think that ignores how much we use Horford in the post to run offense through.

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2016, 04:22:31 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

I mean, what part? Horford is already playing the PF position primarily with Amir at center.

As for making us contenders, I think trading for someone like Boogie where Horford and him would both be PF/C would definitely make us contenders.

Now if you mean someone like Noel or even Vucevic, you're probably right. However, I do think we're significantly closer with either of those two than with Amir right now. Vucevic will cost a lot, but if you can get Noel for pretty cheap, then you get him.

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2016, 04:23:29 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
https://twitter.com/Sixers/status/807646256671625216?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

I posted this another thread, but it's relevant here, too. Looks like Noel will make his season debut on Sunday against the Pistons. Something to keep an eye on moving forward.

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2016, 04:27:39 PM »

Offline mahcussmaht

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
https://twitter.com/Sixers/status/807646256671625216?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

I posted this another thread, but it's relevant here, too. Looks like Noel will make his season debut on Sunday against the Pistons. Something to keep an eye on moving forward.
They need to showcase him, because December 15th is next week and that's when a lot of guys can finally be moved.

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2016, 04:28:54 PM »

Offline mahcussmaht

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
What would it take to get Aaron Gordon?  He's been playing out of position.

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2016, 04:40:09 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney

I mean to say what we are looking for. Need a rebounding, shot blocking presence.

Gibson fits very well with what we are doing because he can hit that mid range jumper, he's a good defender, and he doesn't need the ball in his hands to create plays.

Favors is a very well rounded, young, good rebounder, good defender, can play on both the block and in the faceup game. 
Faried just helps us and our atrocious rebounding team.

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2016, 04:42:06 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
What would it take to get Aaron Gordon?  He's been playing out of position.

Would love Aaron Gordon on this basketball team. Would help us so much in the front court