Author Topic: Why does Jaylen hardly play?  (Read 4611 times)

Re: Why does Jaylen hardly play?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2016, 02:42:17 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
because what a majority of the people on this board don't seem to grasp is this business isn't about 1 player. if jaylen's going to be great then he's going to be great... this way. the Celtics will never play a guy just to play 'em so he can chuck up 30 shots a game and call it "growing pains".

jaylen's getting way more mins. than he probably deserves on a team trying to be a contender.

« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2016, 03:51:48 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
last four games hes played 15 19 22 and 22.

^ this

These are p good numbers for a rookie.

Also, Stevens likes risks. He experiments a lot with his rotations and even his starting 5. What he can't do is satisfy the wishes of every single Celtics blogger (pro-tip: no coach ever will).

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2016, 04:36:21 PM »

Offline mahcussmaht

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 6
You guys see what Sporting News draft expert Sam Vecenie had to say about Jaylen this week?  It seems to echo what some people have been saying about him here.

http://www.masslive.com/celtics/index.ssf/2016/12/2017_nba_draft_incredibly_stro.html

I would like to see the Celtics gain a little bit more creation on the wing, right? Because I think Jaylen Brown and Jae Crowder, like, those guys -- in Crowder's case he's already good, Jaylen Brown I think he's going to be a really good role player.

Jaylen Brown in this draft class would probably be closer to I would say maybe 10th overall, something like that right now," Vecenie said. "Like, look at a guy like OG Anunoby. Anunoby already provides way more defensive value. He's a little bit better of a shooter. It's easier to see him slotting into a lineup right now than it is to see Jaylen Brown slotting into a lineup in many ways. Just because of he's a little bit bigger, a little bit longer, and he can shoot the ball

It's not just Jaylen who isn't playing.  The entire 2016 Draft class has proven to be a second-rate middling crop of future role players.   The only two legitimate Rookie of the Year candidates right now were drafted in 2014.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 04:45:07 PM by mahcussmaht »

« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2016, 05:10:02 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I get what Vecenie is saying, but Jaylen has good potential because of something he doesnt even touch on. Jaylen MIGHT become a high level shot creater due to his handle. Its amazing for a man of his size. OG doesnt have that aspect. So while he is a better shooter than Jaylen, Jaylen has more potential. So of course OG would be a better role player. But if we are talking about upsides I could see Jaylen's perfect future self being a great player, OG reminds me of like a better Luol Deng (during his best years) if everything broke right.
#JKJB

« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2016, 05:50:51 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I get what Vecenie is saying, but Jaylen has good potential because of something he doesnt even touch on. Jaylen MIGHT become a high level shot creater due to his handle. Its amazing for a man of his size. OG doesnt have that aspect. So while he is a better shooter than Jaylen, Jaylen has more potential. So of course OG would be a better role player. But if we are talking about upsides I could see Jaylen's perfect future self being a great player, OG reminds me of like a better Luol Deng (during his best years) if everything broke right.
From the time I watched him play, nearly every game, it seems that he turns the ball over on nearly every drive into the paint. Mainly due to his handles.

« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2016, 09:41:07 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
From the time I watched him play, nearly every game, it seems that he turns the ball over on nearly every drive into the paint. Mainly due to his handles.

Brown is averaging .7 turnovers in 14.4 minutes of playing time.

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2016, 12:30:46 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
JB will get playing time because of one big thing that's not talked about -- his defense.
He works hard, hustles, has good length, quickness and athleticism.

That helps him.  He just needs to continue to make the most of his chances.
A rookie on an established team contending for the playoffs probably can't expect much more PT than what he's gotten, ie about 20+ minutes.

But Jaylen still has a lot of untapped potential and I'm looking forward to seeing him grow.  We need to remain patient with him.

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2016, 01:21:24 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
TP, OP. I completely agree with Jaylen getting pulled when he makes one mistake, while guys like Zeller can watch their man burn them and miss rebound after rebound and suffer no repercussions. There is such a thing as a double standard and it should especially apply to your rookie #3 draft pick. Jaylen should be able to play more freely without being worried about getting yanked for missing a rotation or blowing a stupid shot.

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2016, 03:26:59 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
TP, OP. I completely agree with Jaylen getting pulled when he makes one mistake, while guys like Zeller can watch their man burn them and miss rebound after rebound and suffer no repercussions. There is such a thing as a double standard and it should especially apply to your rookie #3 draft pick. Jaylen should be able to play more freely without being worried about getting yanked for missing a rotation or blowing a stupid shot.

you mean the guy who racks up DNP or only 13m a game (didn't play unless emergency last season)? haha stop.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2016, 07:18:14 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
You guys see what Sporting News draft expert Sam Vecenie had to say about Jaylen this week?  It seems to echo what some people have been saying about him here.

I would not take anything Sam Vecenie said as gospel.   At want point he wanted us to take Bender, which would have been a disaster.   It's his job but scouts are wrong all the time.   They have connections, which makes them different than us, and it is their job but other than that they are fans just like us.  Take a look, he didn't even play college sports.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/sam-vecenie-7a818934

I completely agree with Jaylen getting pulled when he makes one mistake, while guys like Zeller can watch their man burn them and miss rebound after rebound and suffer no repercussions. There is such a thing as a double standard and it should especially apply to your rookie #3 draft pick. Jaylen should be able to play more freely without being worried about getting yanked for missing a rotation or blowing a stupid shot.

Coaches are always hardest to the guys who they see potential in folks.  Zeller is Zeller and will always be Zeller.   CBS expects more out of Brown, because of his potential.  This is the price of being good, extra scrutiny because the coach expects more.

THE BOTTOM LINE IS THIS:
He does not play because he is a rookie and has to earn it.  Some games he is good and many more he is not.   He has two things that I like he is athletic with a NBA first step and he is intelligent.   He has tons of room to grow, one can see the improvement.

« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2016, 08:14:42 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
There is a difference between making mistakes and simply not having the ability to make a play.  The only reason Zeller plays is because the Celtics have no one else.  He is a 3rd string center, at best.

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2016, 05:23:47 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
While I agree that he is fresh and there is a need to bring him along, who of Brown and Zeller is likely to be a part of a championship winning team?

I know Celtics fans want success as soon as possible, but you need to have faith in the rebuild. Jayden is a positive addition who can play a part.

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2016, 09:48:00 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Answer: Stevens is trying to win games, not validate the desperate masses who wax hyperbolic on this blog about a rookie with many, many warts.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2016, 09:52:55 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I think Brown played relatively well last night despite losing his man a couple of times (not that his man scored but from what I saw, his man was very open a couple of times where he left his assignment). Due to Crowder's injury, we got to see a little bit more of Brown. I think it's time to revisit giving him a little bit more minutes

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2016, 09:58:29 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I think Brown played relatively well last night despite losing his man a couple of times (not that his man scored but from what I saw, his man was very open a couple of times where he left his assignment). Due to Crowder's injury, we got to see a little bit more of Brown. I think it's time to revisit giving him a little bit more minutes

It was time several games ago.

I think by the end of the season, he should be getting the same amount of 2nd unit minutes as TR, and just behind MS.  It's pretty obvious that the more he plays, the better he gets.