Author Topic: Orlando looking for a Scorer  (Read 3931 times)

Re: Orlando looking for a Scorer
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2016, 11:02:11 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If the Magic GM called and offered Fournier and Gordon for Thomas and Zeller, it would give me pause, and I've been on the Thomas bandwagon since the start of last season.

Is the pause to catch your breath before you laugh?

I don't even see the fit.  Starting pg who is all-star level for two guys that end up on the bench?

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2016, 11:10:26 AM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
But why is this 7 footer coming off the bench?
Dunno. Why does Tyler Zeller come off the bench?
he did say THIS 7 footer.  Not some random crappy 7 footer like Zeller.

TP, Thanks for really reading what I said.   

The big V seems to be a legit offensive talent and good re bounder.   Gordon starts and really can't create his own shot.   Ibaka is not a traditional PF.    More of an undersized center that can hit a set shot 3 pointer when open.    Starting him a C seems like it would help their scoring.   Oh well....I'm not a coach or GM, but that seems odd.   
Diggles

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2016, 11:13:28 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
If the Magic GM called and offered Fournier and Gordon for Thomas and Zeller, it would give me pause, and I've been on the Thomas bandwagon since the start of last season.

I don't even see the fit.  Starting pg who is all-star level for two guys that end up on the bench?

I think Fournier, under the right coach, could be stellar. I rate him very highly. Even though he's never had a decent coach, he still puts up numbers. He is a dynamic 3 point shooter and has a lot of crafty moves on drives (eurosteps, finish both hands, floaters, etc.). He has also shown the ability to distribute, even though he is not a point guard.

I also think that Gordon could be a dynamic player in the right role. He is a pretty good defender and passer, with a developing jumpshot. He could play both forward spots and I think he could play some center (ala, Aminu in Dallas a few years ago or Draymond with the Warriors). He is probably not a superstar, but he could be really good in a team basketball situation with a good coach.

Anyway, I'd probably say no. I like Thomas that much, but the offer would give me pause.

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2016, 11:15:52 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Send them Young Amir and a pick for Ibaka. His contract is to big for much more. We need rim protection.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2016, 11:17:35 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text

I'd put the phone down, drive all the way to Orlando and punch him in the nose :-P

No, I would not bite on this trade. They would have to rework the package in which they don't get IT.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2016, 11:36:55 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Just to throw this out there...

Boston
Nurkic
Gordon
2017 1st Rd from Orlando (currently # 11)

Denver
Hezonja
Payton

Orlando
Thomas
Mickey

Post trade:

Starters
Horford
Crowder
Nurkic
Smart
Bradley

2nd unit
Gordon
Brown
Olynyk
Rozier
10th man would be Amir, Jerebko, or Green depending on matchup/situation

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2016, 11:52:44 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Fournier is a pretty solid player and Gordon shows flashes of brilliance and is still just 21.  Trade doesn't make sense for Boston as currently constructed, but I don't think it is a bad trade especially if you really like Gordon.  That would clearly be a trade for a Boston team that is looking towards the future though and basically giving up on the contending now proposition.

Trade also doesn't make sense for Orlando since Thomas and Payton can't play together. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2016, 12:07:45 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Fournier is a pretty solid player and Gordon shows flashes of brilliance and is still just 21.  Trade doesn't make sense for Boston as currently constructed, but I don't think it is a bad trade especially if you really like Gordon.  That would clearly be a trade for a Boston team that is looking towards the future though and basically giving up on the contending now proposition.

Trade also doesn't make sense for Orlando since Thomas and Payton can't play together. 
TP for the subconscious Flash Gordon reference ;)

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2016, 12:10:25 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Boston
Nurkic
Gordon

Denver
Hezonja
Payton

Orlando
Thomas
Mickey

Post trade:

Starters
Horford
Crowder
Nurkic
Smart
Bradley

2nd unit
Gordon
Brown
Olynyk
Rozier
that team would have a Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. of a time scoring.  not against an IT trade but I don't think either Smart or Rozier are quite ready to step into a starting role right now. 

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2016, 12:38:56 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.

Boston
Nurkic
Gordon

Denver
Hezonja
Payton

Orlando
Thomas
Mickey

Post trade:

Starters
Horford
Crowder
Nurkic
Smart
Bradley

2nd unit
Gordon
Brown
Olynyk
Rozier
that team would have a **** of a time scoring.  not against an IT trade but I don't think either Smart or Rozier are quite ready to step into a starting role right now.
Then Boston will be looking for a scorer :)
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2016, 12:51:36 PM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983
Seems like this thread could use some fresh meat lol

my idea for Orlando.....and us(most importantly)

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=hqp4amv

Orlando out: Vucevic/Gordan
Orlando in: Wesley Matthews/ KO

Dallas out: Matthews
Dallas in: Amir, Gordan, Rozier, 2017 Minny 2nd rnd pick(from BOS)

Boston out: Amir, Rozier, KO
BOS in: Vucevic

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2016, 02:35:05 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Yeah ... I like Fournier and Gordon, but to me they are a year or two of development from being quality starters on a good team.  Right now, they'd both make nice backups.

You don't trade an All-Star player, especially not one so central to your team's gameplan, to add players of that sort.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2016, 02:59:27 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
Seems like this thread could use some fresh meat lol

my idea for Orlando.....and us(most importantly)

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=hqp4amv

Orlando out: Vucevic/Gordan
Orlando in: Wesley Matthews/ KO

I like this idea..... Hate to lose T Rozier.... But thats just more minutes for Smart.    So I'm okay with that.    KO is going to require 8 to 12 million a year next year, so I'm okay with shipping him out.  He has no Alpha in him.   Amir looks cooked, and can only decline next year.     

Mathews is getting paid and Orlando has $ to keep him.   Gordon is like Shawn Marion.    So I think Dallas is okay with this move.  UNLESS Dirk says I do not like this trade.   

That 2nd from Minnie is like a later first rounder.   So it seems good for. 

Dallas out: Matthews
Dallas in: Amir, Gordan, Rozier, 2017 Minny 2nd rnd pick(from BOS)

Boston out: Amir, Rozier, KO
BOS in: Vucevic
Diggles

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2016, 03:44:30 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Yeah ... I like Fournier and Gordon, but to me they are a year or two of development from being quality starters on a good team.  Right now, they'd both make nice backups.

You don't trade an All-Star player, especially not one so central to your team's gameplan, to add players of that sort.
unless you decide to build for the future because you determine you aren't going to win with your veterans.  Boston isn't there yet which is why the trade doesn't make sense, but a year from now if Boston generally looks the same as it does now, that type of trade might happen.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2016, 04:05:23 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Orlando: We need a scorer so I suggest we trade our best offensive big man.

I know they just committed to Ibaka/Biyombo, but come on, they have other non-scorers like Payton and Gordon that they could get good value for.

I am also going to go out on limb and say they aren't looking to deal Fournier since he is about their best scoring option right now, but apparently they are looking to deal Vucevic, so what do I know?