Author Topic: Report: Celtics have interest in Bogut; favorite to land him when on market  (Read 6505 times)

Re: Report: Celtics have interest in Bogut; favorite to land him when on market
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2016, 11:49:04 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I see Bogut and us adding a shooter as more a safety net on the cheap where maybe we can unload a couple late picks and maybe a contract like Zeller or Amir. 

Still think Ainge is going to make a hard push for a guy like Kevin Love or even Paul George.  These guys are big shot makers at this point.  Teams probably aren't going to want to give them up though. 

I think Ainge would trade Crowder and picks for guys like that.  Probably not enough to get something done there though.

I still prefer Noel over Bogut but Bogut isn't bad.

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2016, 11:52:13 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
The more I watch Horford move around as well as he does Bogut makes more sense than Noel in ways.  Because of his size where we can use Horford at PF.   

Ainge's wet dream to me is to land George or Love for Crowder, Amir or Zeller and picks where we have IT, George or Love, plus Horford for now and Smart, Brown and one of the nets picks for the future...

Not saying that's happening but a lot of talk until now and the deadline where he probably is holding out for something like that.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 12:06:48 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2016, 12:11:01 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Yay more garbage to add to the trash can ::)

« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2016, 08:12:06 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I would like Noel more.  But it depends on who comes over more cheaply.  Bogut would be a stop gap solution for this season until Zizic is ready.  I'm ok with that as long as the price is right.

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2016, 08:14:34 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
It would be nice to show a big ball lineup, to go with our small ball.

Bogut would most likely play 16-20 minutes game at most. He must have that much left in him.

Basically Amir Johnson, who is a starter for us.

« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2016, 12:32:38 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

Bogut would most likely play 16-20 minutes game at most. He must have that much left in him.

Bogut is taller and longer than Amir Johnson though.  Fits much more of the rim protecting role because of his size.  If you want size, defense, and rebounding, Bogut is a good short term solution... as long as he doesn't cost too much asset-wise.

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2016, 02:40:37 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Despite everyone saying this doesn't move the needle I disagree. This gives us a dramatic boost in our efforts to get out of the first round. I think that Bogut puts our defense back into a top tier and adds us the rebounding presence that we need.

I agree. My concern, though, is that he'll play about 5 games for Boston before suffering a season-ending injury.

Exactly! He's facing injurie issues his whole career. I don't see any sense in signing him.

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2016, 02:53:07 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Should be noted that Bogut is already currently out with a bone bruise in his knee (iirc) and will miss significant time in December.

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2016, 12:46:24 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.

Bogut is taller and longer than Amir Johnson though.  Fits much more of the rim protecting role because of his size.  If you want size, defense, and rebounding, Bogut is a good short term solution... as long as he doesn't cost too much asset-wise.
We need him for 15 playoff games and 10 regular season games. If we want to win a series we need a guy like him.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2016, 01:01:47 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Even consider the contracts, I'd still rather have Tyson Chandler.  He has been healthier, has more spring in his step, and is just flat out better than Bogut.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2016, 01:09:00 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Even consider the contracts, I'd still rather have Tyson Chandler.  He has been healthier, has more spring in his step, and is just flat out better than Bogut.

If you add Chandler, though, you're basically giving up adding a max level player next summer. 

Maybe that's OK if you don't think the Celts have a chance of signing anybody like that.  But trading for Chandler would definitely lower the ceiling on what the Celts can do to improve their team in the near future.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2016, 01:11:19 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

If you add Chandler, though, you're basically giving up adding a max level player next summer. 

Maybe that's OK if you don't think the Celts have a chance of signing anybody like that.  But trading for Chandler would definitely lower the ceiling on what the Celts can do to improve their team in the near future.

I am ok with either, we are in severe need of a defensive center and rebounder in my opinion. Not a knock on Amir but we need a more reliable big who really rebound.

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2016, 01:29:14 PM »

Offline heyvik

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 75
Despite everyone saying this doesn't move the needle I disagree. This gives us a dramatic boost in our efforts to get out of the first round. I think that Bogut puts our defense back into a top tier and adds us the rebounding presence that we need.

I agree. My concern, though, is that he'll play about 5 games for Boston before suffering a season-ending injury.

this

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2016, 01:40:59 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I am well aware of that and am fine with it as I just don't see Boston landing a major free agent this summer.  Realistically Hayward is the only guy that Boston has a shot at, and while he is an upgrade, I don't think he is enough of an upgrade that he is worth giving the max contract to without another move being made (and I don't see Chandler as a detriment to that other move). 

I think Boston is a pretty clear 2nd round team with Chandler and would certainly have a much better shot against the Raptors with him as well.  I just don't trust Bogut to be around in the playoffs, and I can't see giving Bogut more than maybe 20 minutes a night, while I can see giving Chandler in the 30-35 range (if it made sense). 

Also, because of Chandler's contract I think his price will actually be less than Bogut.  Maybe even as low as Zeller plus a couple of 2nd's.  I think Bogut will require Johnson and another real asset. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2016, 01:56:36 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
I would like Noel more.  But it depends on who comes over more cheaply.  Bogut would be a stop gap solution for this season until Zizic is ready.  I'm ok with that as long as the price is right.

This is pretty much where I am at as well.  I like Noel more, but if adding some def / reb. ability can be done on the cheap to help us out this year in the playoffs, I like Bogut to be able to do that.
Bogut does seem to fit our system well.  He is a good passer, provides a bit more resistance at the rim.  As long as it doesn't hamper future flex and for the short term sure.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 02:35:17 PM by blink »