Author Topic: What could we get for IT4  (Read 10981 times)

Re: What could we get for IT4
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2016, 10:32:46 AM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
What could we get if we trade IT4?

- Substantially reduced odds to do anything of note in the playoffs.

- A significantly less entertaining team to watch.

- Bad karma

- More young players we don't have time or patience to develop fully.

- More picks that will fall in the 5-20 range to be used on high floor prospects we'll just resent for not being the higher upside / higher bust potential freaks taken later in the draft by other teams.

TP to you.

I sometimes don't understand people on this blog.

Do people not see how much he has talked up the Celtics and the city of Boston, gone to bat for us, and try and get other players here?

It would be, as you said, TERRIBLE, karma to trade him now, not to mention probably anger the team while making it worse.
No one in this thread has said we should trade IT. The thread is a question of what value he has in a trade but thanks for the lecture.

Please keep this thread to actual trade value conversation.
I was thinking the exact same thing...

the discussion is about what his value is around the league *IF* a trade were to be made.

So what is his value? DeAndre Jordan level? Slightly less? Slightly more?

Would anyone here trade IT for Kevin Love?
TP for getting the conversation back on track.

I think I would consider Love fair value. The problem I keep seeing is so many teams already have point guards.

Drummond in Detroit.
Gasol in Memphis.
Love in Cleveland.
Whiteside in Miami.
Jordan in LA.

Jokic would be a option. Okafor would be also but we need more coming back to make it a fair deal.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 11:32:05 AM by TrueFan »

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2016, 11:00:55 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
We could probably get an All-star offense initiator, top 10 scorer, top 15 passer type player.

But seriously, for the most part, we probably value him higher than other teams because of CBS's ability to gameplan with him. Carlisle and Popovich could probably leverage his abilities into All-star performance like CBS has, but there aren't many others.

In other words, to us, he is an All-star, but to another team with a lesser coach, he is a sixth man scorer or good starter. In this sense we would not be able to get back equal value for what he means to us, which is one of the reasons why WE SHOULD NOT TRADE HIM.

But who knows, maybe a poorly run organization would make a godfather offer for him, thinking he could be their franchise point guard. But the problem with that is that most of those poorly run organizations either already have a point guard (NY, WAS, PHX, DEN) or don't have anything that makes us better or that we would want (DAL, NO, SAC, PHI).

This is why a trade is unlikely. The goal is to trade other pieces to pair another star with Thomas and Horford.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 11:11:43 AM by DefenseWinsChamps »

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2016, 11:08:29 AM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Brook Lopez.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2016, 11:19:34 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Gallo, Hernangomez

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2016, 11:26:56 AM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
Gallo, Hernangomez
What else are we getting back with either one of those players?

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2016, 11:58:43 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Three trade ideas to consider,
Bucks
IT for Jabari Parker and a pick.
Starters=Smart, AB, Crowder, Parker, Al

Pelicans
IT, Crowder, AJ and Nets 2018 for Anthony Davis
Starters=Smart, AB, Brown, AD, Al

C's, Pacers and Kings
IT for WCS and Miles Turner. (Kofous and IT to Pacers. Teague and Allen to Kings)
Starters=Smart, AB, Crowder, Al, Turner

Of course the Davis deal is my choice though you give up additional pieces you get a top 10 player. Also the C's would still have room to add a max deal like Hayward if he so decides to leave Jazz. How would Smart, AB, Hayward, AD and Al do in east?

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2016, 12:03:52 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I don't think you could get Jokic for Thomas. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2016, 12:18:10 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The thread is a question of what value he has in a trade

Less value than he has remaining on the roster.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2016, 12:23:49 PM »

Online droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
He should get at least two firsts (not BKN good but one top 7 and one top 20) and a young talent. He could also he traded as centerpiece for a better player
Yet some people don't want to give up one BK pick for Cousins.  SMH.

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2016, 12:23:50 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
I think of this more as what type of team would want to trade for him.  One scenario could be an established team that thought adding IT would put them over the top.  But that type of team would not want to give up much because they are trying to win now.

More likely, I see IT being used as part of a big trade for someone like Cousins where a team is punting and rebuilding.  Not too many of those team around.  Cousins, Paul George, anyone else?

I just don't see all that many trade scenarios for IT.

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2016, 12:26:28 PM »

Online droopdog7

• Paul Silas

- Bad karma

- More picks that will fall in the 5-20 range to be used on high floor prospects we'll just resent for not being the higher upside / higher bust potential freaks taken later in the draft by other teams.
Trading a guy doesn't mean you don't like them.  That seriously bugs me about fans.  Only want to trade guys they don't like.

And I am amazed by your ability to predict what would happen given that you don't know who would be coming back.  Trades are supposed to benefit both teams you know.

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2016, 12:32:16 PM »

Online droopdog7

• Paul Silas
Bucks

Pelicans

C's, Pacers and Kings
IT for WCS and Miles Turner. (Kofous and IT to Pacers. Teague and Allen to Kings)

Of course the Davis deal is my choice though you give up additional pieces you get a top 10 player. Also the C's would still have room to add a max deal like Hayward if he so decides to leave Jazz. How would Smart, AB, Hayward, AD and Al do in east?
**** at that package for Davis.  He's pretty close to untouchable.

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2016, 12:34:00 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
The thread is a question of what value he has in a trade

Less value than he has remaining on the roster.
The team seeking a trade typically has to accept lesser value in return so you are only stating the obvious.

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2016, 12:37:17 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
Bucks

Pelicans

C's, Pacers and Kings

IT4 for Parker is interesting. It doesn't help us at all in the next 2 years but it does down the road.

We would have Brown, Parker, Smart, Roz and the 2017 Nets pick to develop.

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2016, 12:37:28 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

- Bad karma

I agree that this is not the time to trade IT. There is some merit it moving him while his value is at its peak but the Cs are not in need of assets at this time and can afford to sell low. I see two senarios where he will be traded.

1. The Nets pick lands the Cs a future stud (clear all star level) PG. Then IT is moved on draft day and the rookie is given the green light from day 1. Rozier retains hisl likely expand role.

2. Rozier is moved this season for front court help and a vet backup PG is acquired in trade or FA. The Nets pick is used on the PG of the future who then takes over Roziers role for 2017-18. If he excels then IT is moved at the deadline and a vet is brought it or Jackson is given a shot as the backup PG.

During all of these possible moves it should be noted that Smart is the safety net. He can always serve as the backup PG if needed though I think he is at his best in essentially a two PG back-court. 

To answer the original question I think fans would be disappointed with the trade returns for IT. As valuable as he is to the Cs he still is a very undersized player who has to surrounded by above average defenders on defense and has proven that the game planning that comes with playoff defense leaves him fare less effective. The issue with IT is that he is productive enough to make an all-star team but like Jason Terry and Jamal Crawford he is ultimately best suited to be an elite 6th man. At this point in his career i am sure he would disagree. As for trade partners most teams are all set at PG and would love IT in the aforementioned bench role but that could bring with it major lock room issues.  I would expect his trade return to be starting level big man and a heavily protected 1st rd pick. Maybe Mornoe + 1st, Taj Gibson + 1st or Biyombo. None are trade I would want to see the Cs make.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 01:02:30 PM by CFAN38 »
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet