Author Topic: Phil Jackson too blunt?  (Read 2739 times)

Phil Jackson too blunt?
« on: December 08, 2016, 06:36:19 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
1st making crybaby Lebron upset. I guess he stepped over the line..

then calling Carmelo a ball hog lol...Carmelo was puzzled when asked by the media and also looked offended

The truth is PJ , is only telling the truth...but there is also a sensitivity factor to consider , especially dealing with two cry baby superstars

did PJ cross over the line?   

Re: Phil Jackson too blunt?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 06:38:26 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697
Phil used to be pretty smooth at this stuff. He's now reached the age where you stop caring and just say what you truly think all the time though.

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 07:03:29 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1642
Phil used to be pretty smooth at this stuff. He's now reached the age where you stop caring and just say what you truly think all the time though.

Remember Leon Pow? 

This act isn't new for him. 

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 07:05:36 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2697

Remember Leon Pow? 

This act isn't new for him.

That was the opponent though in the NBA Finals, classic Phil head games. He was much more careful with dealing with his own guys in public.

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 07:17:49 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Nope. I like this about Phil Jackson and he has said that many times about Melo since coming back to NYC. It is not like this is a new statement.

Heck, every coach Melo has had has something similar. George Karl was always going at him in Denver to make quick decisions with the ball. D'Antoni was too. And rightly so. Melo's effectiveness offensively is tied to how quickly he makes decisions off the catch. When he is ponderous, the offense stagnates and it becomes harder on his teammates to play alongside him. When he is making quick decisions, he is lethal because he can score in so many ways and he becomes very difficult to defend against. Plus, everything is in the flow and his teammates stay involved in the game. Instead of being the Melo-iso show.

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 08:16:42 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I think Phil - even with his Legendary status - needs to consider his words carefully.

First, he's poked LeBron James with the "Posse" comment...writing a check with his mouth that his NY Knick Team will have to cash with their behinds.

Now he's poked Carmelo Anthony....which is odd.

IMO Carmelo has made some significant strides as a player...I REALLY like his game now, and have the last few years.

He seems committed to NY and to making this thing work.

I believe that they'll get it together soon as a team but for now I think Phil should ponder that he's put his team in LeBron James' target site for the foreseeable future.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 08:43:12 PM by GreenFaith1819 »

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 09:03:03 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Kind of ridiculous how upset Lebron got.   A little too sensitive as if people should only say great things about the King.

Who is right about George Karl saying similar stuff about Anthony and I liked it then and I don't mind it now.  I think Jackson hasn't done all that good with the Knicks.  Loved the Porzingas pick but they look to be on the treadmill forever now that he's built around Rose and Anthony and acquired Jennings.  I don't like their future at all.

If Ainge said something similar about IT dominating the ball too much, not many of us would mind.  I guess people think Anthony and James are too big to take a dig at, even if it's for the betterment of the team.

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 09:21:27 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Kind of ridiculous how upset Lebron got.   A little too sensitive as if people should only say great things about the King.

Who is right about George Karl saying similar stuff about Anthony and I liked it then and I don't mind it now.  I think Jackson hasn't done all that good with the Knicks.  Loved the Porzingas pick but they look to be on the treadmill forever now that he's built around Rose and Anthony and acquired Jennings.  I don't like their future at all.

If Ainge said something similar about IT dominating the ball too much, not many of us would mind.  I guess people think Anthony and James are too big to take a dig at, even if it's for the betterment of the team.

I think LeBron's reaction to the "Posse" comment was a bit over the top BUT understandable in this day and age we live in. Phil - being "The Zen Master" should've known better...or maybe he did?

As I stated in a similar thread perhaps Phil Jackson knew exactly what he was doing? In any event Phil will have to live with the bitter consequences. He'd better hope to not meet CLE in a playoff series.

While I love George Karl as a coach I'd be careful to give too much credence to his critiques of some players.

As for Phil's comments about the team? He's not the coach? What is the Coach of the NY Knicks saying about Melo?

Who "is" the Coach of the NY Knicks? I seem to hear more about Phil than anyone else in NY nowadays.

My rookie guess is that D Rose and Melo are intended to lead this team for the near future and for KP to grow under them. They have potential and have played well at times but for whatever reason still struggle.

I personally don't believe either Melo or LeBron is too big to take criticism...LeBron has taken a TON of it in his career. Melo has too - to a point. While LeBron has rings and a top-7 player of All-Time to show for it the book on Melo is still being written.

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 10:18:42 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I think Phil knew what he was doing both times.  I think maybe he wanted to subtlely annoy Lebron but not be made a big deal by the media.  I think he was really trying to encourage Melo to keep the ball moving.

And it looks like by the time Porzingas becomes a true star,  Melo and Rose will be pretty washed up.  And there won't be much else on the team to go with Porzingas.

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 11:13:56 PM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
Phil is the equivalent of Donald Trump in the NBA.

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2016, 01:56:25 AM »

Offline RAAAAAAAANDY

• NCE
  • Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 57
He's an idiot and an awful GM.

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2016, 04:27:53 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
I'm glad he's a GM. He doesn't look very smart for the job. One less team to worry in the future for DA.

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2016, 07:35:23 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Carmelo is a ballhog

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 09:42:14 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I really see no sense in beating around the bush with Carmelo at this point in his career.  I don't get people criticizing Phil for resigning melo either.   I don't get the Rose signing either overly but maybe just trying to make the knicks relavant again. They are doing alright.  Their record isn't much worse than ours. 

Maybe jackson will get through to melo. Maybe he won't.  Might as well try it is how i look at it.  Better than being Melo's **** like so many other gm's probably have been in the past.

It's one thing if it weren't true and jackson was just being a jerk, but Carmelo is a ballhog lol.  Tired of political correctness in general anyways.

Honesty is good and real honesty. I'm not a huge Phil jackson fan myself but Carmelo is a ballhog.  Better than saying Carmelo could you maybe just pass the ball a bit more.

There are probably other ways but I can't really fault Jackson too much for that. If it works hey more power to him.

Carmelo seems a bit perturbed but what's the worse thing that can happen, it blows up and they trade him?  They have him under contract now......  Or Carmelo changes his ways.

Better than having Carmelo being a ballhog either way...

Resigning Carmelo and calling him a ballhog seems like the right move to me. Logically speaking that's pretty good.  They have Rose too where they can trade these guys off to teams and pick up draft picks if need be and build around Kristaps.

The ball is in their court now.  Carmelo had leverage before.

The way jackson  probably sees it is maybe he can trade Melo to cleveland or get lebron to come to new york or if all else fails build around Kristaps.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 10:05:44 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2016, 06:39:57 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Phil is the equivalent of Donald Trump in the NBA.

I didn't know Phil was a Billionaire.