Author Topic: Trade idea for Serge Ibaka  (Read 3237 times)

Trade idea for Serge Ibaka
« on: December 08, 2016, 01:53:56 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
He seems like a good fit for what the Celtics are doing.

Something like Olynyk, Rozier and Jerebko for Ibaka?

Would a future 1st be needed because of the expiring contract?   Probably.  Net level pick?  no.

Re: Trade idea for Serge Ibaka
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 02:05:08 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Why would Orlando trade him?  They gave up major assets to acquire him.  After a slow start, he is playing well.  And all indications are that they are prepared to offer him a massive contract in the offseason.

Edit:  I agree that he'd be a great fit.

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 02:35:00 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Why would Orlando trade him?  They gave up major assets to acquire him.  After a slow start, he is playing well.  And all indications are that they are prepared to offer him a massive contract in the offseason.

He is on the last year of his contract.  If he is not happy with the direction (or lack of direction) of that Orlando team, good chance he lets them know he will not resign.

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 02:49:41 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

He is on the last year of his contract.  If he is not happy with the direction (or lack of direction) of that Orlando team, good chance he lets them know he will not resign.

In such a scenario, I'd give up a young player plus non-BKN pick for him. 

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 02:49:50 PM »

Offline MrMorrill

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 9
Is he what the team needs? A solid rebounder down low, I think he averages under 8 rebounds for his career. He's 27 but might be 35, I'd be a bit nervous about trading or signing him.

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 03:01:32 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
No, I don't think I would be interested in bringing Ibaka to Boston. He's obviously a talent upgrade over any big on our roster not named Al Horford, and Horford is versatile enough to fit next to anyone, but I don't think Ibaka actually addresses our actual needs.

He's an average rebounder, and has seen his block numbers decrease year after year. His three point shooting is nice, but he isn't a very good low post defender. And what this team needs more than anything is someone who can allow Horford to spend the majority of his court time playing PF. Ibaka doesn't do that.

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 03:09:07 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Haaaa ..no,way jose ....his face is now giving away his true age ....he is probably several year older than Amir No he is gonna be an AARP target soon.

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 03:13:05 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Ainge could just sign Ibaka in the summer.

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 03:23:35 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21

Would a future 1st be needed because of the expiring contract?   Probably.  Net level pick?  no.

I think Rozier and KO fit ORL's needs. They could use an upgrade over Watson & Augustin long term. KO is a RFA so ORL can match any offer he gets. KO would be solid next to Vucevic or Biyombo

As far as adding a pick goes:

Due to the new CBA rules, you can now put protection on the unprotected picks you've received from another team

So we can offer the BKN 18 1st in an Ibaka trade. We're also now allowed to offer 1st round picks (instead of just two 2nds) in place of protected picks that don't convey.

For exapmle we could offer Rozier, KO, Jonas, plus the BKN 18 (top 10 protected, turns into a BOS 2019 if the BKN pick doesn't convey) for Ibaka

Don't know how Danny feels about including Rozier tho...

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 03:42:24 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

I think Rozier and KO fit ORL's needs. They could use an upgrade over Watson & Augustin long term. KO is a RFA so ORL can match any offer he gets. KO would be solid next to Vucevic or Biyombo

Due to the new CBA rules, you can now put protection on the unprotected picks you've received from another team

So we can offer the BKN 18 1st in an Ibaka trade. We're also now allowed to offer 1st round picks (instead of just two 2nds) in place of protected picks that don't convey.

For exapmle we could offer Rozier, KO, Jonas, plus the BKN 18 (top 10 protected, turns into a BOS 2019 if the BKN pick doesn't convey) for Ibaka

I did not know that about protection on picks. That is really interesting. How does it work?
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 03:47:44 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

dude, TP

Did not know this. Thanks
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 03:49:03 PM »

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
I think Ibaka benefitted greatly from having been on the OKC team with Westbrook and Durant.  The situation reminds me of Jeff Green, who benefitted in a similar matter.  Once Jeff Green left OKC his numbers and effectiveness went down.

I was at the game last night and watched Ibaka closely, as I also want to see him in green.  He is a very good complimentary player but I wouldn't give up any members of our core for a three month rental of him.

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 03:52:40 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21

I did not know that about protection on picks. That is really interesting. How does it work?

Here's some of the new CBA rules explained via Basketball Insiders:

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-adjusted-multiple-trade-rules-in-july/

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2016, 04:18:26 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I think Ibaka benefitted greatly from having been on the OKC team with Westbrook and Durant.  The situation reminds me of Jeff Green, who benefitted in a similar matter.  Once Jeff Green left OKC his numbers and effectiveness went down.
Ibaka's "numbers and effectiveness" this season in Orlando are essentially the same as they were last season in OKC. Perhaps even slightly better.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2016, 04:41:37 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
I would rather go after Monroe.