Author Topic: Really People... 1 Game And It's Already "Trade IT"???  (Read 11272 times)

Re: Really People... 1 Game And It's Already "Trade IT"???
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2016, 03:00:13 PM »

Offline justice

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 9
Do you Guys remember last year when Blake Griffin went down last year and the Clips when on a crazy run of wins? This happens all the time- top player leaves, and under-manned team spreads the ball around and wins... Why? Opposing defenses don't know how that team will approach their games without their top scorer, and so the offense is unpredictable and therefore difficult to defend for a time. "Lesser" players on the team then have a better chance to get more shot attempts & players feel the need to "step up", and this has a rallying effect.

Us having a great game yesterday was awesome, but does not mean we are a better team without Thomas. Frankly, we are definitely not- and IT is the only player on the team that is capable of consistently creating his own offense and being a "go-to" guy which is absolutely necessary on any contender. Actually, we need another one of those guys to take the next step- especially in the playoffs.

Enjoy the fact that we have one of the best PGs in the NBA on our team. Just my 3 cents.

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2016, 03:03:37 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
For George or Boogie

YES.

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2016, 03:04:36 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Well, duh.  If he was 6'3" he probably wouldn't be constantly taken advantage of on defense.

I don't think so.  Damian Lillard and Kyrie Irving are pretty awful defenders at around that size.  Yet all agree they are superstar players. 

What I'm saying is, forget about physical ability.  Focus on results.  If IT were the same size as Lillard or Irving, with exactly the same results, he would be seen very differently.

This is a really good point and I agree with this completely
I think one key difference here is why the 3 listed players struggle on defense. It is my understanding that Irvings struggles can primarily be attributed to a lack of intensity and concentration. We've seen him buckle down and defend really well in the playoffs because he can pick up the intensity for stretches. Isaiah Thomas cannot be 6'3" for stretches.

I agree that this is true.

My argument is that this difference in perceived potential to play defense does not justify the size of the gap in the way the two players tend to be evaluated, by fans and media alike.

Kyrie Irving gets talked about like a bona fide superstar.

Isaiah Thomas is a "Fake All-Star" (I've actually heard him referred to as such).
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2016, 03:07:19 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I just want to put this out there

I don't think we have a chance of winning it all with IT as our best scorer. And i don't think he'd thrive as a second option. He has the ball in his hands too long way too often

To those mentioning lillard and harden.. I wouldn't want those guys. Ball stoppers. Or rather, i'd want those guys, but only as trade chips

Whoever mentioned curry earlier, he and IT shouldn't really be in the same sentence

The next 5 years are pretty much all about the warriors and cavs

I feel as though we'd be best off waiting them out (not tanking though)

I don't want the celtics to be stuck paying thomas 25 mil while potentially stunting the growth of our other point guards

I'd like to sell high on Thomas

Love his grit and determination, but that's just how i feel

I could be WAAAAAY wrong

Maybe we trade for cousins and roll out with IT bradley crowder al and cousins and win it all

I don't know

I do know that Thomas is an incredible talent and i get why people are offended by the notion of trading him, or having him come off the bench

TP.....well thought out

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2016, 03:07:56 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
I think too many people are claiming that this is all about one game

If they lose the next game with IT out, i will STILL feel like IT holds the ball too long

I'll STILL feel like IT is a tremendous player with serious determination

And i'll STILL feel like we should consider him as a sixth man (or find the right trade partner before it's too late)

And i'll still feel fine if we keep him for the rest of his carreer
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2016, 03:09:06 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
I just want to put this out there

I don't think we have a chance of winning it all with IT as our best scorer. And i don't think he'd thrive as a second option. He has the ball in his hands too long way too often

To those mentioning lillard and harden.. I wouldn't want those guys. Ball stoppers. Or rather, i'd want those guys, but only as trade chips

Whoever mentioned curry earlier, he and IT shouldn't really be in the same sentence

The next 5 years are pretty much all about the warriors and cavs

I feel as though we'd be best off waiting them out (not tanking though)

I don't want the celtics to be stuck paying thomas 25 mil while potentially stunting the growth of our other point guards

I'd like to sell high on Thomas

Love his grit and determination, but that's just how i feel

I could be WAAAAAY wrong

Maybe we trade for cousins and roll out with IT bradley crowder al and cousins and win it all

I don't know

I do know that Thomas is an incredible talent and i get why people are offended by the notion of trading him, or having him come off the bench

TP.....well thought out
thanks man

TP back at ya
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2016, 03:14:16 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199

Well, duh.  If he was 6'3" he probably wouldn't be constantly taken advantage of on defense.

I don't think so.  Damian Lillard and Kyrie Irving are pretty awful defenders at around that size.  Yet all agree they are superstar players. 

What I'm saying is, forget about physical ability.  Focus on results.  If IT were the same size as Lillard or Irving, with exactly the same results, he would be seen very differently.

This is a really good point and I agree with this completely
I think one key difference here is why the 3 listed players struggle on defense. It is my understanding that Irvings struggles can primarily be attributed to a lack of intensity and concentration. We've seen him buckle down and defend really well in the playoffs because he can pick up the intensity for stretches. Isaiah Thomas cannot be 6'3" for stretches.

I agree that this is true.

My argument is that this difference in perceived potential to play defense does not justify the size of the gap in the way the two players tend to be evaluated, by fans and media alike.

Kyrie Irving gets talked about like a bona fide superstar.

Isaiah Thomas is a "Fake All-Star" (I've actually heard him referred to as such).
Would you rather have IT or Kyrie?  Is it close?  That's the difference.

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2016, 03:16:27 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Yeah, one win over a weak Magic team is definitely a sign that Boston should trade IT, make Smart the starting PG, and forget about their troubles 'cause they're all gone now.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2016, 03:22:30 PM »

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
I actually think they win this game and their offensive movement and passing look good, prompting a bunch of overreactions on these forums tomorrow.

Ha! I called it!

In all seriousness, though... How many people are really calling for IT's head today? Seems a bit of a straw man argument to me. But I haven't read everything on these forums today.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2016, 03:29:21 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
After I read the post on here saying that they wouldn't want DAMIAN LILLARD and JAMES HARDEN on their team I stopped reading.

This isn't college basketball. While it's very good to have ball movement as a squad, but there is nothing wrong with having a ball dominant player on your team unless they can't play within the system.  The only reason that Harden is so ball-dominant now is because of Dantoni's system.

If there's one thing I agree with it's that IT needs to do a better job of playing within the flow of the offense and then creating every so often.
Besides that he shouldn't be traded or moved to the bench.

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2016, 03:31:44 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
PhoSita is probably right that there is an unfair gap in perceived value between IT and Irving.

But for me, perceived value is not the real issue here. I don't really care how IT and Irving are perceived by fans and media.  Danny Ainge has to answer the following question:  Is IT a starting guard on an NBA championship team?

If yes, Danny should try to resign IT when his current contract is up.

If no, Danny has until 6/30/2018 to try to get something in return or watch Thomas walk away for nothing.

Unlikely 3rd option:  Get IT to put his ego in check and come off the bench.

It will be fascinating to watch it all unfold....

« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2016, 03:40:21 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
After I read the post on here saying that they wouldn't want DAMIAN LILLARD and JAMES HARDEN on their team I stopped reading.

This isn't college basketball. While it's very good to have ball movement as a squad, but there is nothing wrong with having a ball dominant player on your team unless they can't play within the system.  The only reason that Harden is so ball-dominant now is because of Dantoni's system.

If there's one thing I agree with it's that IT needs to do a better job of playing within the flow of the offense and then creating every so often.
it's a shame you won't fully listen to the opinions of others

Would you like to have a long term gentleman's bet? 

If harden or lillard win a championship during their carreers as players, you win

I'm not saying they can't, but i'm not convinced they will (although naturally the nba will shift so anything is possible (to quote KG))
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2016, 03:45:24 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen

one more thing

This isn't the first season in which Harden has been very ball dominant
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2016, 03:48:48 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

But for me, perceived value is not the real issue here. I don't really care how IT and Irving are perceived by fans and media.  Danny Ainge has to answer the following question:  Is IT a starting guard on an NBA championship team?

Derek Fisher was a starting point guard on multiple NBA championship teams.

This question of "Could he start for a championship team?" always strikes me as silly and arbitrary.

I think what you're really asking is, "Could he play the role he currently plays on a championship team?"

I'm not sure what the answer to that question is.  However, I do know that replacing IT with a comparably valuable player will be extremely difficult.  So even if we suspect the team might not ever win a championship with him as one of the top players on the roster, it makes no sense to move on from him if we have no idea how we're going to replace him with a superior player.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2016, 03:51:02 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Would you rather have IT or Kyrie?  Is it close?  That's the difference.

Honestly, with Kyrie's frequent injury concerns -- and considering that I just don't enjoy watching him play -- I wouldn't be particularly excited to trade IT for Kyrie.

I honestly don't think there's a huge difference in how valuable they are.  Kyrie seems to have a higher gear in the playoffs, but he gets to play next to LeBron, and IT has never had that luxury.
- Mark Twain