Author Topic: Really People... 1 Game And It's Already "Trade IT"???  (Read 11268 times)

Really People... 1 Game And It's Already "Trade IT"???
« on: December 08, 2016, 12:08:43 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
This isn't about the people arguing about whether he should come off the bench or start in games, that's a legitimate argument.

But some people here who are like "hey, we played a great game against the trashy Magic last night without IT, I wonder how much IT is worth on the trade market, we should trade him for value at his peak"...

Like seriously? Dude is still our best scorer and like it or not, the only reason the C's won two games in the Hawks series last season is because of IT, because everyone else was shooting bricks. Defense wins championships, but does it matter much when the team can't hit any shots? Turner was like our second best scorer because he could create his own shot.. and now he's gone too. The top scorers right now are IT, Bradley and Horford.

And does IT get you Westbrook? Lilliard? No he doesn't. And this team doesn't need like 3 more draft picks (unless you people love the idea of continuing a rebuild for the future). What can he get you? Oh just some expiring deals like Millsap (not worth it).

What picture does it paint to others that we trade probably the most passionate "Celtics Pride" guy on our team and our best recruiter on our team... and without him, Horford and Crowder aren't even here. And also, don't tell me "oh without IT.. we could have tanked and got Towns or Russell in 2014 Draft". No we wouldn't.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Really People... 1 Game And It's Already "Trade IT"???
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 12:11:02 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
No.

You trade him next season after you draft Markelle Fultz.   ;)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 12:12:00 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
No.

Great Plan. I'm sure Fultz can replace IT's production easily next season. You need some veterans to key a championship run.

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 12:14:42 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
People are irrationally quick to throw IT under the bus because of his size. 

If he were 6'3'' with literally the exact same stats and performance people would be clamoring for him to be an MVP candidate.  He'd be considered untouchable.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 12:15:30 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Don't worry, last night didn't start the "trade IT" movement it just reenergized them
I'm bitter.

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 12:16:16 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

If he were 6'3'' with literally the exact same stats and performance people would be clamoring for him to be an MVP candidate.  He'd be considered untouchable.

Exactly. Does IT play elite defense? No.

But does Curry? Harden? And they are considered Top-5 players in the whole league.

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 12:21:24 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

But does Curry? Harden? And they are considered Top-5 players in the whole league.

People need to stop using this as a counter-argument unless they also plan to never refer to draft combine measurements again.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 12:34:28 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

People need to stop using this as a counter-argument unless they also plan to never refer to draft combine measurements again.

That makes no sense. Draft measurements are important for trying to determine how a player will adapt to the NBA and predicting what their strengths and weaknesses will be.

They mean ****-all when you're looking at established NBA players that we already know the strengths and weaknesses of, though, which is why IT's height isn't relevant. If he were 6 inches taller and still just as bad on defense (like, say, Damian Lillard), people wouldn't be nearly as critical even if he was still the exact same player
I'm bitter.

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 12:42:30 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
I just think that Stevens need to get IT to play in the offense style we saw last night. more ball movement and passing. IT is a great offensive player, he should be able to adjust.
That being said, at times we will need him to "take over" in IT fashion. 

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 12:42:44 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

That makes no sense. Draft measurements are important for trying to determine how a player will adapt to the NBA and predicting what their strengths and weaknesses will be.

They mean ****-all when you're looking at established NBA players that we already know the strengths and weaknesses of, though, which is why IT's height isn't relevant. If he were 6 inches taller and still just as bad on defense (like, say, Damian Lillard), people wouldn't be nearly as critical even if he was still the exact same player

my point exactly. this is IT's weakness.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 12:52:42 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
No.

Lol I would do that but I thought C's were banned from winning the lottery.

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 12:56:59 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

my point exactly. this is IT's weakness.

No, his weakness is that he's bad at defense.  His height is the main cause of it, but you can be short for your position and still be a good defender (see Bradley, Avery, and Wallace, Ben), or have prototypical size and still be a bad defender (see Harden, James and Lillard, Damian)

His height isn't relevant when discussing how good he is at O or D, it just gives a reason why.  If 2 random players, Player A and Player B, are just as bad on defense as each other, then their heights don't matter
I'm bitter.

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 12:57:50 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I'm not sure how irrational it is to point out that he's not very good at defense.

John Wall, for instance, is 6'4, can get to the hoop, and is very good at defense.

[/quote

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2016, 12:59:14 PM »

Offline showtime

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 20

100% correct!!

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2016, 01:03:18 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
I'm not sure how irrational it is to point out that he's not very good at defense.

John Wall, for instance, is 6'4, can get to the hoop, and is very good at defense.

It's not wrong to criticize him for his defense, it's wrong to criticize him for his height.  The point is that a 6'3" Isaiah Thomas that was just as bad at defense would be regarded way better despite being the exact same player
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 01:14:39 PM by BitterJim »
I'm bitter.