Author Topic: Jaylen's defence?  (Read 3338 times)

Jaylen's defence?
« on: December 08, 2016, 11:31:22 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 616
I've been a regular basher of Jaylen's  defensive positioning (and his screening), but Forsberg notes some interesting stuff about the kid:

The more encouraging sign if you're Stevens is that Brown has been excellent at the other end. Boston's defensive rating is 101.5 when Brown is on the floor, nearly three points lower than the team's season average. What's more, the NBA's defensive tracking data suggests that Brown is limiting opponents to 35.2 percent shooting overall, a whopping 8.4 percent below those players' season average. A teenager just a month ago, Brown's NBA-ready body has allowed him to get physical with more experienced players, and he has limited opponents to 47.4 percent shooting inside of 6 feet, or 21 percent lower than those players' season average.

Brown ranks in the 93rd percentile among all defenders while allowing just 0.716 points per play, according to Synergy Sports data. Narrow the field to all players who have defended at least 95 total plays and Brown ranks 9th in the NBA out of 268 qualifiers. It’s a small sample, but an encouraging one.

He closes out hard on shooters and commits few fouls defending guys on the move. What do you think? Could he be a legitimate elite defender if and when he fully susses defensive schemes?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Re: Jaylen's defence?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 11:33:38 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Brown is a very good defender and perfect under cbs system

Solid 1 on 1 and team D is better than I thought

Once he puts on 15 pounds of muscle could see him make 2nd all defensive team one day

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 11:35:17 AM »

Offline MrMorrill

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 9
I'm all in on JB, he's getting better and better on both sides. Still making rookie mistakes but less and less, his recent defense has been pretty solid. He's no AB or Smart but working with them for a few years could make him into another defensive monster.

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 11:42:20 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
The thing about Jaylen is that he'll get caught out of position fairly often, but he's quick and athletic enough to make up for it (just look at the block he had on an otherwise wide-open layup a few games back).  Hopefully Brad pushes him to work more on the positioning, because if he gets that figured out then he could be a really scary defender.  If not, he'll be a decent defender that relies on his athletic ability instead of knowing where to be, which is fine normally but would make it tough to rely on him

Overall, though, I've been impressed, especially in the past few games
I'm bitter.

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 04:04:56 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Very good signs for Brown.  He has good athleticism, size, and length for his position.  But he is putting in the effort as well.  Could develop into a great two way player for us in time if he keeps this up.

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 04:27:11 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 290
Even though he's a slight hesitation late to recover, he does so very quickly and usually makes up the difference closing out to shooters. I wouldn't be surprised if his quick leaping ability to contest shots, even from a distance, gets into the heads of some shooters who see him coming.

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 04:32:56 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
What can brown do for you?

UPS

Mailman was a great nickname. Too bad it's already taken

Shoot

This kid's gonna be a staaaah

I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 04:38:17 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
My one issue is that he turns the ball over in traffic too easily. May be a case of getting stronger hands, or just getting more clever protecting the ball better in traffic.  I don't think it is a long term problem.

His defense has been solid. His 3 point shot is coming along too.  Look forward to watching him continue to develop.  Hope he gets more and more minutes as season progresses, and gains confidence.

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 05:24:38 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Browns length seems a bit underrated.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 05:30:51 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
I feel very good about Jaylen and his ability to improve. Right now he is fighting with older guys for pt, which is very good for the moment.
However, most importantly, when Jaylen has surpassed the backups or improved rapidly on rookie mistakes...that should 100% warrant much more playing time even over our former #6 pick. With Jaylen and the likelihood for improvement, DA should be a step ahead and looking to consolidate the team....if he needed another reason.

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 05:42:28 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
7ft wingspan and 8'8'' standing reach is great for a 3 and insane for a 2.

Ingram( hard to say his name after purging him from space that in my brain that stimulates pleasure ) basically has a 7'4'' wingspan and 9'2'' standing reach.

Wish we had both.

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 05:42:39 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
How do you underrate length? 

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 06:44:09 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Athletes matter,  period.

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2016, 06:47:43 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
7ft wingspan and 8'8'' standing reach is great for a 3 and insane for a 2.

Ingram( hard to say his name after purging him from space that in my brain that stimulates pleasure ) basically has a 7'4'' wingspan and 9'2'' standing reach.

Wish we had both.
lol

TP
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2016, 07:02:32 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Jaylen is my favorite Celtic.
I think he should backup Crowder, and Smart should stay at guard.