Author Topic: Vucevic a good fit for the Celts?  (Read 1701 times)

Vucevic a good fit for the Celts?
« on: December 08, 2016, 11:25:07 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Yes or no?

And what package would you offer to the Magic?

Re: Vucevic a good fit for the Celts?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 11:27:30 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Nope. Too slow on defense.

A 20mpg player whose stat-padding on bad teams makes it hard for him to accept such a role.

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 11:28:33 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Nope. Too slow on defense.

I do agree. A little on the slow side. Before he can react to browns dunk, he got his faced scratched

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 11:30:22 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
He's coming off the bench for a mediocre team.  That tells you something.

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 11:32:02 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
He's coming off the bench for a mediocre team.  That tells you something.

Is it possible he could improve his conditioning?

He has good size/length. Decent all around skills/iq

When focused can grab a fare share of rebounds

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 11:36:39 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
He is coming off the bench because he isn't a good enough stretch big man to play in the Magic offensive system, but he is a great rebounder with solid low post skills.  He would easily be the starting center on Boston despite his defensive short comings.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 11:41:10 AM »

Offline MrMorrill

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 9
He might compliment nicely with Horford. Let Al play PF exclusively as a starter with Vuc at the center spot. He for sure would put up more points and grab more rebounds than Amir but it would all hinge on how much better would his defense improve under Brad. He shouldn't have a problem posting 18/10.

The question is what would the Celtics have to give up and do you want his salary?
2016-2017: 11,750,000
2017-2018: 12,250,000
2018-2019: 12,750,000

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 11:42:36 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I don't think his defense will improve much (due to physical limitations). But an area he could improve is his passing.

Vucevic is a skilled scorer who can score away from the basket as well as in the post but he does himself and his team a disservice with his below par passing. Especially from the high post where if his shooting was combined with above average passing, Vucevic could become one of the best high post facilitators in the league.

But he continues to show a level of disinterest in this area.

Vucevic is only out for himself. He doesn't play for his team or teammates. He doesn't make players around him better. He is selfish and plays low IQ basketball.

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 11:46:28 AM »

Offline MrMorrill

• Payton Pritchard
I don't think his defense will improve much (due to physical limitations). But an area he could improve is his passing.

Vucevic is a skilled scorer who can score away from the basket as well as in the post but he does himself and his team a disservice with his below par passing. Especially from the high post where if his shooting was combined with above average passing, Vucevic could become one of the best high post facilitators in the league.

Vucevic is only out for himself. He doesn't play for his team or teammates. He doesn't make players around him better. He is selfish and plays low IQ basketball.

It must be hard to not be playing for yourself when your on a consistently bad team like Orlando... He's been a Magic since 2013 and they haven't won more than 35 games (last year). Granted he might be part of the problem but if I'm with a team over and over again I'd get a bit selfish so I at least look decent on the crap team.

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 11:47:41 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Harsh... I guess he deserved the cat scratching to the face?

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 11:53:28 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I don't recall him being as slow as he was last night. Conditioning or effort may be the issue but it's clear this current version of Vucevic wouldn't fit.

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 12:05:04 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
We got 2 stashed big. save them a spot.

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 12:20:23 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

how bad is his passing really?  statistically he isn't bad at 2.5 apg in 27 mpg and an AST% of just under 17.  Doesn't turn the ball over much at just 9.2 TOV%

Even with his slowness he still has by far the best DRTG on the Magic at 99.  Biyombo at 102 is next lowest.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2016, 12:31:14 PM »

Offline MrMorrill

• Payton Pritchard
We got 2 stashed big. save them a spot.

Can we really call Yabu a big? However I'm really high on Ante, maybe too high.

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2016, 12:47:39 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

how bad is his passing really?  statistically he isn't bad at 2.5 apg in 27 mpg and an AST% of just under 17.  Doesn't turn the ball over much at just 9.2 TOV%

Even with his slowness he still has by far the best DRTG on the Magic at 99.  Biyombo at 102 is next lowest.

It is not so much that his passing is bad. It is that is more middle of the pack.

It is a general reluctance to let go of the ball at times (goes through spells of being a black hole) and an inability to facilitate an offense through the high post (lowering the value of his jump-shooting ability).

I see passing as a key component of his game given:

* bad one-on-one defense
* bad team defense
* good but unexceptional scorer

For Vucevic to overcome that bad defense, he needs to make more of an impact on offense.

Now, if Vucevic was an efficient 25-30ppg type scorer with average passing, I wouldn't worry so much about his passing. But as a good scorer (3rd option type of a strong team), I view his passing -- his ability to facilitate an offense - I view that as a key to making it worthwhile for a strong team to give him 30+mpg despite his defensive deficiencies.

For his offensive value to be high enough that you will put up with his lousy defense -- which I do not currently believe it to be.