Author Topic: ROY watch: weak field  (Read 3604 times)

Re: ROY watch: weak field
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2016, 01:40:27 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
Nobody really stands out so far... Unless Simmons comesback from injury soon and starts torching it

Who are the top 3 rookie performers right now?

top two are both 76ers, Embiid and Saric

I think Embiid will be ROY unanimously. I think Brown for the last 2-3 weeks has hit a rookie wall, I hope with yesterday's performance he starts picking it up again.

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2016, 02:11:49 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Embiid for sure. He's putting up really good numbers, esp on a per minute basis.

Philly doesn't deserve him. I hope he picks another team in FA that is committed to their fan base.

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2016, 02:12:28 PM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
http://stats.nba.com/help/statistical_minimums.html

To lead the league in anything you have to play a minimum of 58 games usually , rookies are required to play half that, so if Embiid plays 29 games he should qualify.

Is this the case, rookies have to play a certain amount of games to qualify for the award?

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2016, 02:33:25 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Embiiid's a mile ahead so far.

As for top 3 I haven't seen him play much but Jamal Murray's been putting up some numbers lately. That's probably good enough this year. Sabonis another candidate. Not much after that.

Sigh Sabonis... Danny could have traded up for him

You mean down right?
Could have done either depending on which pick we are talking about.

The latest pick that got traded and we could have taken Sabonis was the Kings #8 pick.  Not only was the price for that pick likely too high for us to pay, but I think there would have been a riot had Danny traded for that pick and then taken Sabonis instead of Chriss

Edit: The pick he was taken with was also traded, but that deal included Oladipo and Ibaka, so getting involved wasn't really anoption

Kings wanted the euro center for whatever reason... He would have been there at 16

16 and 23 for 8th pick was def possible... I mean the kings didnt get alot back from the suns for the 8th pick imo

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2016, 02:35:57 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Nobody really stands out so far... Unless Simmons comesback from injury soon and starts torching it

Who are the top 3 rookie performers right now?

top two are both 76ers, Embiid and Saric

I think Embiid will be ROY unanimously. I think Brown for the last 2-3 weeks has hit a rookie wall, I hope with yesterday's performance he starts picking it up again.

Saric has been super streaky. He had a great stretch like 3-4 weeks ago. Then really slumped for 6 games then has been on fire the last 3. Interesting to see what he will look like when the 76ers have their full roster available and what his exact role will be.

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2016, 03:29:01 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

As for top 3 I haven't seen him play much but Jamal Murray's been putting up some numbers lately. That's probably good enough this year. Sabonis another candidate. Not much after that.

You mean down right?

The latest pick that got traded and we could have taken Sabonis was the Kings #8 pick.  Not only was the price for that pick likely too high for us to pay, but I think there would have been a riot had Danny traded for that pick and then taken Sabonis instead of Chriss

Edit: The pick he was taken with was also traded, but that deal included Oladipo and Ibaka, so getting involved wasn't really anoption

Kings wanted the euro center for whatever reason... He would have been there at 16

16 and 23 for 8th pick was def possible... I mean the kings didnt get alot back from the suns for the 8th pick imo

You mean Papagiannis?  There's nothing to suggest he still would have been there at 16. There's a good chance Denver would have taken him instead of Herangomez at #15 if they could have

As for the return the Kings got, it really depends on your opinion of Bogdanovic.  Clearly the Kings think highly of him.  We could have gotten close to the #13 and #28 using the #16 and #23, but to match Bogdanovic we'd have needed to include something like Rozier (not gonna happen) or the Boston 2018 pick (too far off for Kings).  Outbidding Phoenix wouldn't have been that easy
I'm bitter.

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2016, 03:52:56 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76

You mean down right?

You mean Papagiannis?  There's nothing to suggest he still would have been there at 16. There's a good chance Denver would have taken him instead of Herangomez at #15 if they could have

As for the return the Kings got, it really depends on your opinion of Bogdanovic.  Clearly the Kings think highly of him.  We could have gotten close to the #13 and #28 using the #16 and #23, but to match Bogdanovic we'd have needed to include something like Rozier (not gonna happen) or the Boston 2018 pick (too far off for Kings).  Outbidding Phoenix wouldn't have been that easy

Papagiannis was a Projected 2nd rounder and to be quite frank he's trash. Can not believe they gave up Marquess Chriss for that bum. Kings find every way to screw up there franchise. If there was a conceivable way to give up amount for quality of picks in this last draft we should have done it. Adding Sanonis to our frontcourt would have been nice.

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2016, 05:04:34 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

You mean down right?

Papagiannis was a Projected 2nd rounder and to be quite frank he's trash. Can not believe they gave up Marquess Chriss for that bum. Kings find every way to screw up there franchise. If there was a conceivable way to give up amount for quality of picks in this last draft we should have done it. Adding Sanonis to our frontcourt would have been nice.

In this last draft, projections for where a player would be selected didn't have any real relation to when they were actually selected.  Looking at where he was projected to go doesn't really tell us if he would have been there at #16
I'm bitter.

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2016, 05:34:51 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

You mean down right?

Exactly

Nuggets would not have taken him

Too bad hernangomez was taken at 15... Nuggets have screwed us on 3 draft occassions. Taking Faried, Nurkic , Hernangomez just one spot ahead

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2016, 05:54:06 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

You mean down right?

Exactly

Too bad hernangomez was taken at 15... Nuggets have screwed us on 3 draft occassions. Taking Faried, Nurkic , Hernangomez just one spot ahead

Ugh, don't remind me about that Nurkic pick, it still haunts me to this day

Judging from how far off projections for this draft were, we can't say with any confidence whether or not the Nuggets (or even Chicago) would have taken him had he been available.  Every mock draft was way off after the top 8 or 9 picks
I'm bitter.

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2016, 06:21:42 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

You mean down right?

I would love to read your 5pg paper backing this up. I'm guessing you couldn't write one, b/c you probably don't know what you're talking about. Which is OK, but to call a 19 yr old trash without thoughtful reasoning seems like a total Richard move.

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2016, 06:23:18 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

You mean down right?

Exactly

Judging from how far off projections for this draft were, we can't say with any confidence whether or not the Nuggets (or even Chicago) would have taken him had he been available.  Every mock draft was way off after the top 8 or 9 picks

Re: Nurkic- yes, he'd be nice to have. How do you know that he is better than Zizic?

I don't know who is better, so I'm going to take the patient approach on this one. I wouldn't be surprised if Zizic was just as good.

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2016, 07:16:26 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I find it hard to vote for third year "rookies." Half the battle is adjusting to the NBA lifestyle and Embiid has been in the NBA for 2 years already. Very high potential though, so he'll win among this crop by default, especially with Simmons injury.

Otherwise, Brogdon and Siakam both have decent rookie PERs, play defense, and are playing >20 MPG currently. Siakam is doing it with the Raptors who are arguably the 3rd or 4th best team in the NBA which makes his contribution more impressive.

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2016, 08:37:00 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

You mean down right?

Exactly

Re: Nurkic- yes, he'd be nice to have. How do you know that he is better than Zizic?

I don't know who is better, so I'm going to take the patient approach on this one. I wouldn't be surprised if Zizic was just as good.

I don't know that he's better than Zizic.  I do, however, know that he's better than James Young, who he was taken one pick before, and that we could have had both Nurkic and Zizic if Denver hadn't taken him 1 pick before us
I'm bitter.

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2016, 09:20:17 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Embiid.

Rest of Field.

Pretty much. He's elite compared to the rest