Author Topic: PG13 - Will Indiana start thinking?  (Read 4046 times)

Re: PG13 - Will Indiana start thinking?
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2016, 08:40:36 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
I don't think Indiana will trade Paul George this year. Maybe next season though.

I expect Bird will want one more go at building this team. The group he has put together at the moment has good potential. They are closer to being a 47-52 win caliber than they look. A few changes here and there. Some growth from Myles Turner. Replace Monta Ellis with a solid starting two guard. Improve their bench.

I think it would be premature to give up on Paul George's Pacers career at this point.
Yeah, I don't think Bird is quite ready to trade George.  However, that team needs more than a few smaller moves.  They need another legit star to go with George.

Myles Turner could be that star.

He has the talent to be one of the top big men in the NBA someday.

Edit: Of course, it would be better if they get a 3rd star to go with those two but they might to be able to build a team with balance and depth around them and become one of the top teams in the East in doing so.

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2016, 09:17:34 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I don't think Indiana will trade Paul George this year. Maybe next season though.

I expect Bird will want one more go at building this team. The group he has put together at the moment has good potential. They are closer to being a 47-52 win caliber than they look. A few changes here and there. Some growth from Myles Turner. Replace Monta Ellis with a solid starting two guard. Improve their bench.

I think it would be premature to give up on Paul George's Pacers career at this point.
Yeah, I don't think Bird is quite ready to trade George.  However, that team needs more than a few smaller moves.  They need another legit star to go with George.

Edit: Of course, it would be better if they get a 3rd star to go with those two but they might to be able to build a team with balance and depth around them and become one of the top teams in the East in doing so.
Teague has been an all star as well.  Ellis and Young have been a borderline all star for years.  Then you have old guys like Jefferson that can still perform in short spurts. Obviously an all star and a "star" are two different things, but it isn't like Indiana is devoid of talent. 

I expect them to finish in the mid to upper 40's in wins (they are 11-11 and 4-2 in their last six) and depending on matchups have a very good shot at advancing in the playoffs. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2016, 09:53:43 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Teague has been an all star as well.  Ellis and Young have been a borderline all star for years.  Then you have old guys like Jefferson that can still perform in short spurts. Obviously an all star and a "star" are two different things, but it isn't like Indiana is devoid of talent. 

I expect them to finish in the mid to upper 40's in wins (they are 11-11 and 4-2 in their last six) and depending on matchups have a very good shot at advancing in the playoffs.
Yes, Teague has been an all-star so I call him "borderline".  Ellis and Young are not borderline.  Turner is not an all-star (yet).

As Ainge says, you need "special" players which to me means top echelon stars, not just all-stars.

« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2016, 10:24:37 AM »

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
What makes PG13 good enough to trade all our future assets?

lineup would be:

Thomas
Bradley
George
Olynyk
Horford

for 1-2 years until we'd have to pay everyone.  For me the logic isn't there if we have to give up the entire treasure chest.  #1 reason why I feel Cousins is more favorable option (trade leverage)

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2016, 11:04:30 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Yes, Teague has been an all-star so I call him "borderline".  Ellis and Young are not borderline.  Turner is not an all-star (yet).

As Ainge says, you need "special" players which to me means top echelon stars, not just all-stars.
I responding to Who because I agree that Turner can be that 2nd star (no one claims he is yet).  If Turner becomes that guy, then a guy like Teague as a 3rd option is quite appealing.  As currently constructed they could really use a guy like Bradley instead of Ellis in the 2 spot (not that Boston could trade him) and could use a strong defending big guy on their bench.  A guy like Noel, Chandler, Bogut, etc. would make some sense in that regard. 

Something like this would help all 3 teams I think.

Indiana - Chandler, Covington
Philly - Ellis, Ullis
Phoenix - Noel

Other players can be added as necessary if a team feels slighted at all.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2016, 12:18:50 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
To me the question is this: if George makes clear he's not signing an extension to stay there (which I bet he will), will Larry decide to trade him before he walks, knowing their not going to win anything this year or next?

I have my doubts if he will, but he'll obviously have to think about it.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2016, 01:31:07 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

I'd like to trade Horford for Turner. Let Indy offload Ellis and Stuckey's contracts on us. Re-orient around Brown/Turner/BK picks without tanking.

I feel like it's easier to get Turner for Horford then it is to get Paul George.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri