Author Topic: Our 3 most efficient scorers don't shoot enough (And how do we fix that?)  (Read 2933 times)

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
They are, in my opinion, Horford (.582 TS%), Crowder (.621 TS%), and Olynyk (.600 TS%).

Horford is attempting 12.6 FGA which is far behind AB's 15.4 and IT's 18.8.

Crowder is under 10 FGA a game, and somehow ties with Marcus Smart, which is mind-boggling to me (Smart also averages a full FTA more!!).

Kelly has full-on decided to take the backseat to Smart in the 2nd unit, Marcus takes 3 and a half more shots per game.

How do we solve this?  While at the same time not hurting IT and AB, who aren't inefficient scorers themselves?

I guess one suggestion would be to reduce our 11 man rotation to more of an 8 man rotation.  Amir, Rozier, and Zeller average a combined 14.3 FGA per game.  I'd give at least 6 of those to Horford and split the rest between Crowder and KO.

I understand the theory behind having a varied attack, but varying between 11 guys is a little ridiculous, and I'm not sure how it really helps us.  Especially considering Zeller and Rozier bring basically nothing to the game other than scoring, and both hurt us defensively.

I'd much rather give Horford and Crowder larger scoring roles, giving us 4 huge scoring threats as opposed to just IT and AB.  Then with Smart and KO in off the bench, there's no reason we can't have 4 double digit scorers in the game at all times, with Jaylen or Jerebko (who has a .604 TS%) filling in as the 5th glue guy.

IT (35) / Smart (13)
AB (35) / Smart (13)
Crowder (25) / Smart (6) / Brown (17)
Jerebko (24) / Crowder (9) / KO (15)
Horford (33) / KO (15)

It's time for us to make a push and put our record on par with the Cavs.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 01:10:14 PM by mgent »
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

Re: Our 3 most efficient scorers don't shoot enough (And how do we fix that?)
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 01:07:44 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think we ought to get Horford more shots.

As for Olynyk, I think he is always going to be a guy who is mostly deferential and tentative offensively.  Some nights he'll go for his own, but we've been waiting for a few years now for him to become assertive on a nightly basis.

Then there's Crowder.  I think his efficiency would dip considerably if he shot more.  Now, he's shooting so well right now that he can probably afford to take some more shots.  But he's not a guy we want getting force fed.  He does best when his shots come in the flow of things.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 01:22:21 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
I think we ought to get Horford more shots.

As for Olynyk, I think he is always going to be a guy who is mostly deferential and tentative offensively.  Some nights he'll go for his own, but we've been waiting for a few years now for him to become assertive on a nightly basis.

Then there's Crowder.  I think his efficiency would dip considerably if he shot more.  Now, he's shooting so well right now that he can probably afford to take some more shots.  But he's not a guy we want getting force fed.  He does best when his shots come in the flow of things.

While I agree with this, you can't deny that Brad runs a lot of plays designed to get Crowder open (resulting in a lot of his points).

I guess that's not what you meant by "force fed."  But I'm certainly not calling for Brad to give Crowder the ball in isolation more, if that's what you mean.

The way I see it, EVERY player's efficiency dips (and rises) throughout the season, it's just natural in this league.  What you want to see is your team ride the hot hand while it's hot for as long as it's hot (wherever that hot hand may be).

In other words, raise Crowder's shots now while he's very efficient, and then if in a couple weeks, other players become more efficient than him (such as IT or AB) then start sending more shots that way.
Philly:

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 02:06:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think IT could take a couple less shots and try to find better options for others on the floor, but, it has to be the player that has a better shot. Forcing the offense to get efficient shooting players the ball more, if those shots arent in the flow of the offense, could just make those players less efficient.

Crowder and Olynyk are not primarily scorers. They take good shots in the flow of the offense and hence have been efficient. You dont want to force them to shoot more. Its probably out of their character to do so.

Those couple of shots less I said IT should take has to go to Horford and I think they will over time as IT and Horford play together more and more. They still have to get familiar with each other.

I think things will even out over the course of the year. IT will see Horford is a great playmaker and IT will be become more efficient as he and Horford figure each other out.

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 02:21:45 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
They are, in my opinion, Horford (.582 TS%), Crowder (.621 TS%), and Olynyk (.600 TS%).

Horford is attempting 12.6 FGA which is far behind AB's 15.4 and IT's 18.8.

Crowder is under 10 FGA a game, and somehow ties with Marcus Smart, which is mind-boggling to me (Smart also averages a full FTA more!!).

Kelly has full-on decided to take the backseat to Smart in the 2nd unit, Marcus takes 3 and a half more shots per game.

How do we solve this?  While at the same time not hurting IT and AB, who aren't inefficient scorers themselves?

I guess one suggestion would be to reduce our 11 man rotation to more of an 8 man rotation.  Amir, Rozier, and Zeller average a combined 14.3 FGA per game.  I'd give at least 6 of those to Horford and split the rest between Crowder and KO.

I understand the theory behind having a varied attack, but varying between 11 guys is a little ridiculous, and I'm not sure how it really helps us.  Especially considering Zeller and Rozier bring basically nothing to the game other than scoring, and both hurt us defensively.

I'd much rather give Horford and Crowder larger scoring roles, giving us 4 huge scoring threats as opposed to just IT and AB.  Then with Smart and KO in off the bench, there's no reason we can't have 4 double digit scorers in the game at all times, with Jaylen or Jerebko (who has a .604 TS%) filling in as the 5th glue guy.

IT (35) / Smart (13)
AB (35) / Smart (13)
Crowder (25) / Smart (6) / Brown (17)
Jerebko (24) / Crowder (9) / KO (15)
Horford (33) / KO (15)

It's time for us to make a push and put our record on par with the Cavs.

I think instead of Avery shooting as many pull ups you turn those into post ups for Al Horford. As for Crowder this is what happens when you have so much talent on your roster. I recommend playing Crowder more with the second unit so that he can lead that offense and help spark some runs with the youngsters. I think our whole team would benefit from Smart taking less shots, including his field goal percentage.

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 02:38:43 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
The question is, what will happen to player's efficiency if he shoots more?  Generally, they go down I think.

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 02:44:02 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Tell Smart he isn't allowed to shoot unless he is within 3 feet of the rim.  Solves the problem right there.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 02:53:02 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Tell Smart he isn't allowed to shoot unless he is within 3 feet of the rim.  Solves the problem right there.
I guess if he could finish better at the rim or get to the rim in the first place. 

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 03:14:55 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
How do you fix this?
You get a coach who realizes this and corrects the mistake.

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 03:35:16 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I'd be happy if Kelly would just *look* at the hoop more.   

He's so easy to defend in the half court because he never uses his triple threat.  Always he's looking for the next pass without so much as glancing at the hoop.   Defenders get a head start on the next movement as result.   

Problem is --- teams actually respect Kelly's outside shot.    He's so deferential though, it's actually a hinderance to floor spacing.  You can see his man hedging as soon as he receives a pass knowing Kelly is NEVER looking to score.   

What a waste.   Dude needs to man up and find some confidence. 

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 03:40:20 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Our best 3 point shooters are JJ and KO. But they shoot far too many 3 point shots to have a meaningful impact.

Part of the problem is that they need more time to take their shot. That is on them. Both need to do a better job of getting off their 3 point shot quicker.

Part of the problem is that they are ignored too often by the other guys on the court. It burns me that Smart is taking more 3 pointers than Kelly per minute played. That is stupid and inefficient.

It is on Brad and the rest of the team to fix this.

Very frustrated with how we are playing offensively. As much as there  is apparent ball movement, it does not flow through the entire unit, but rather goes to 2-3 guys, and the others just watch, or receive and give it up without any meaningful contribution.

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 03:44:11 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

My HS coach implemented this rule for a teammate/good friend. Worked wonders - he wasn't happy about it but did realize he was a collegiate-level hockey and lacrosse player, not a basketball player.

Then we would play the coaches 2 on 2 before or after practice. That was his time to get back at coach, jack 3s, etc.  Maybe Smart can in turn bully Brad after practices. Everyone wins. :)
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 04:36:48 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
I think IT could take a couple less shots and try to find better options for others on the floor, but, it has to be the player that has a better shot. Forcing the offense to get efficient shooting players the ball more, if those shots arent in the flow of the offense, could just make those players less efficient.

Crowder and Olynyk are not primarily scorers. They take good shots in the flow of the offense and hence have been efficient. You dont want to force them to shoot more. Its probably out of their character to do so.

Those couple of shots less I said IT should take has to go to Horford and I think they will over time as IT and Horford play together more and more. They still have to get familiar with each other.

I think things will even out over the course of the year. IT will see Horford is a great playmaker and IT will be become more efficient as he and Horford figure each other out.

That's kind of laughable considering some nights they go off for 20+ points.

I never said anything about Crowder or Olynyk forcing more shots, or taking shots that aren't in the flow of the offense.

I'm saying don't play our less efficient players so much (because they don't bring anything else anyway) and then whatever looks they are getting go to more efficient players.  That means they're more likely to make those shots, they're more likely to have or create BETTER shot opportunities than those that were previously available, and their teammates would be also getting easier looks as a result of the added threat.

I'm obviously not suggesting Crowder and Olynyk take more shots with the same number of possessions they get now..... I'm suggesting is they get more touches.

More touches mean MORE efficient opportunities..... not less like you guys are trying to say.
Philly:

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 05:18:21 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Horford's FGA per game are about the same as they've been the last couple of seasons.  His usage rate is right in line with where he's been also.

So perhaps we shouldn't expect those numbers to increase.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2016, 05:21:36 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
More touches doesnt equate to more efficiency. It doesnt even equate to more shots.