Author Topic: Our 3 most efficient scorers don't shoot enough (And how do we fix that?)  (Read 2903 times)

Re: Our 3 most efficient scorers don't shoot enough (And how do we fix that?)
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2016, 05:40:35 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
More touches doesnt equate to more efficiency. It doesnt even equate to more shots.

But a higher pace does equate to more shots, and I would guess the pace of the game is slower with Olynyk and the second unit.

Crowder needs to have more attempts the Marcus though.

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2016, 01:54:48 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
More touches doesnt equate to more efficiency. It doesnt even equate to more shots.

They CAN equate to more shots if they shoot it....

Or they can equate to more efficient shots because it allows them to be more picky/selective in their shot selection.

Or they can equate to more efficient shots for teammates because they cause to the defense to react more.

Or all the above, or none of the above.

Not sure which part you're misunderstanding.  I don't know why you think a player's efficiency is automatically going to go down if they get more of the same plays ran for them.

Are you now suggesting that if Brad reduces the minutes of some players, their shots/possessions are just going to disappear?

Originally you were just assuming those shots were automatically going to end up as worse shots if we had our more talented players taking them.

Now I'm getting confused, I think you're contradicting your earlier point.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2016, 02:55:45 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 123
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
KO (.367 this season) and JJ (.457) shoot the 3 ball pretty well. 

They will only attempt a 3 pt shot if they are wide, wide open - this frustrates me.  I would be more understanding if they were rookies or young players.  Aren't you supposed to improve a little each year.  I get that they would not want to attempt with a defender draped all over them.

If they are open - a defender is pretty far away, but charging toward them, still 6 feet away though while starting a possible shot attempt, that is enough for both to chicken out, do a pump fake, dribble drive into a log jam in the paint without a plan.

I would think by now that they would be ok letting a shot go with an approaching defender who arrives a little to late to affect the shot.

Anyone else notice this?  Am I missing something?  Isn't this something one can practice, like a quicker release?

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2016, 04:26:10 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Easy.
We need to get a legit CENTER(Solid body, large wingspan, large standing reach) that can score in the post and offensively commands respect, attention, and double teams....and has the tools/ability to pass because 1-4 we have a great passing team that would make up for any most passing deficiencies from the CENTER and 1-4 can all knock down the 3.

Adding a legit CENTER that can score in the post will create easier shots for our 1-4 and more 3's at a higher clip.

Hope Cousins gets suspended for a few games or more.

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2016, 04:41:21 PM »

Offline fubar089

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 11
Avery should be getting more shots.

« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2016, 02:52:03 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Tell Smart he isn't allowed to shoot unless he is within 3 feet of the rim.  Solves the problem right there.
Then you'd have a lot more 24 second violations as KO dumps Smart the ball with 1 second left on the shot clock..

« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2016, 05:06:40 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
The more I read the thread the more I came to the conclusion that the shooting is about right. The term 'most efficient shooter' doesn't, obviously, account for all the things a player brings to the team. I am sure KO would get more shots if he came close to what AB does defensively.

I do believe that what we are missing at the moment is another player who can hit 20+ points and contribute on defence. Changes to the number of shots players take will probably change when we get another player who can efficiently take shots and contribute in other areas.