Author Topic: Smart gets flop warning from NBA  (Read 9475 times)

Re: Smart gets flop warning from NBA
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2016, 04:35:11 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
A foul on defense is just that a foul. It's when a defender fouls someone. 

The stuff KO does is not a foul.   He's just standing there.

When dwight howard is swinging his elbows that's a foul.  So is when  lebron just drives into people who don't even foul him and aren't allowed to be just as physical.

Dwight howard came down  on glenn davis's head with an elbow a few years back and  knocked him out and wasn't  called for a foul. 

Same with perk he took an elbow to the head and was called for a foul.

The nba cares though.  Sure they do.

Dwiight howard would do that too he would come down with his elbows on rebounds trying to hurt people where people would just stay away from him.  Dirty ass player. Roided up too doing that stuff. Dwade is just as dirty and so is lebron.

Never heard the nba say boo about that stuff.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 04:45:14 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2016, 04:44:38 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Helps a ton. Ask any guard (or small forward for that matter) in this conference if they want to be checked by Smart.

Nobody wants that guy guarding them. I wouldn't either.

Ask Montrezl Harrell.

...or watch for yourself.

https://streamable.com/dqy7

« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2016, 04:49:09 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p-2vSsOgbw

KG hated D12 for a reason.  He did that 3 times earl ier in that series much worse.  Then he  hurt someone.

He would do that purposely too trying to hurt people.

« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2016, 05:25:37 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
Walker makes some good points. I too thought Dwight Howard was a very dirty player. It seemed once he got a bit older and more fragile, he stopped, but I am unsure of that.

As for bringing in politics, please don't. This is the last place I want to see it. Please put it in the open Celtics Blog forum part if you want to discuss Trump.

I've yet to see one person in my life praise NBA officiating. At best, it can be said that it's a fast game and difficult to see what's going on exactly. Home crowds can perhaps sway refs as much as a subtle flop.

I saw Kelly Olynyk completely push a player in the last game. It was off the ball, so it wasn't anything to really mention. I just saw it happen. The way he did it was a bit scary as if it's okay to push a guy as if it's a football game at the line of scrimmage.

Tonight should be fun. Orlando is a scrub team. This could be one of those silver lining games where Marcus and Rozier can develop a bit more as point guards.

Horford missed an easy layup. If he had made it, I bet there wouldn't be this much negativity.

Hey, maybe it's good that Smart and Olynyk have a lot of kinks in their games to figure out. It could keep their next contracts lower. Let them break out and prove themselves as great in the second contracts. If Rondo had been better, Ainge could have never signed him for I think $13 million/year. Look at Avery. If he had made these tremendous leaps a lot sooner in his career, no way could he have been signed for $8 million/year.

Basketball is a process. If we only win 48 games yet make it to the ECF and Brooklyn nosedives, we will be happy. Those two outcomes are very plausible and not pipe dreams. But we could still gel and win more than that. It's still very early in the year and we were missing Horford and Crowder. Unless we continue to get hit with crazy injury bad luck, we are on schedule. The team's overall trajectory continues to move upward.

Ainge has proven himself with the Bradley and Crowder deals. Things will work out on their own. Say with Isaiah and Marcus. They will either still be here in five years or won't. No one knows. So I think it's best to not have preconceived notions and see how it all plays out. I think it's best to appreciate what we have now because there are no guarantees from Len Bias to Greg Oden.

« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2016, 05:50:40 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
A foul on defense is just that a foul. It's when a defender fouls someone. 

It is not a foul unless it gets called or caught.  Marcus is his own worst enemy with the flopping.

« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2016, 06:45:44 PM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597

How much is Smart actually helping the Celtics?  Can't score, can't shoot and getting rep for being a flopper...

MikeB

Well ...

He's not getting as many steals, his rebounding is a little bit worse, his shooting isn't any better, he's getting to the rim less, his free throw rate is less ...

Also, his defensive rating stinks.

I guess the answer is that he's providing ballhandling and playmaking on the second unit.  His assist rate is significantly higher than it was last year.  But his point per-36 are down despite his usage rate being higher.

Combine that with the fact that his defense has not been up to his previous standard.

So, yeah, Smart seems to be stagnating.  It's pretty disappointing.
Love how people ignore his defensive skills.  C'mon.

Is it ignoring his defensive skills to note that his defense is measurably worse than it has been in the past, on top of everything else?

He's an OK backup ball-handler and defensive guard.  That's all.

You are just wrong Phosita.  His DRPM is actually higher regarding the ranking of PG's.

https://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM/position/1

Smitty77

It's interesting that his DRPM is that high (compared to other point guards) given that his Defensive Rating is way up and his steal rate is way down.

You're right to point out his DRPM ranking among point guards.  That's a mark in his favor, though RPM overall has him ranked very low because of how bad he is offensively.

Generally, what I see with Marcus is that he is as bad as ever on offense, apart from his passing.  While his defense is still good, especially for his size, he isn't the playmaker on that end he has been in the past.  Part of that dropoff may indeed be due to the fact he's been asked to guard larger players.

In any case, it seems fairly evident he isn't up to the standard we hoped he would be at this point.  He is a nice defensive backup, but he's a decided negative offensively and hasn't shown much development as a scorer.

Please note I'm as disappointed as anybody to reach that conclusion.  I had high hopes for Marcus as recently as a year ago.  It's not hard to find old posts of mine opining that he could become a quality starter.
The Celtics Def. Rat. with Smart on the floor is 102.8, with Smart off the floor the C's Def. Rat. is 107.9.  I'm guessing the defensive rating you are quoting is from basketball reference and it is complete garbage. 

« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2016, 07:11:38 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

How much is Smart actually helping the Celtics?  Can't score, can't shoot and getting rep for being a flopper...

MikeB

Well ...

He's not getting as many steals, his rebounding is a little bit worse, his shooting isn't any better, he's getting to the rim less, his free throw rate is less ...

I guess the answer is that he's providing ballhandling and playmaking on the second unit.  His assist rate is significantly higher than it was last year.  But his point per-36 are down despite his usage rate being higher.

Combine that with the fact that his defense has not been up to his previous standard.

I agree with most of what you're saying, except for the defensive part.
How has his defense been stagnating or disappointing? He's been an absolute beast on the defensive end. It's why he's on the floor.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2016, 07:52:52 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Mchale closelined a guy once but used to have the same issues on defense KO does where he'd be standing there with his hands raised and would be bumped out of the way and called for a foul.  The defender has a right to position. KO is the least of the nba's problems.

Kevin Harlan's schtick on lebron "no regard for human life" always rubbed me the wrong way too.

It's a competitive sport. Some guys truly do go out there trying to hurt people.  Some are a product of it.  In their minds their just doing what they think is best.

KG, Smart, Russell these guys don't strike me as the bad guys of the nba.  More just the antethesis of the stuff that goes on.  KG would get in guys faces and knew the stuff that would go on.  Smart and Russell combat it in ways too. 

Different than the Ron Artests of the world and lebron and dwade.  Or Howard to me.  It is political in ways too whether you want to accept it or not.  The league supports and overlooks certain stuff because people love to hype up certain things and its more money in their pockets at the sacrifice of others. 

You end up with players that battle it in other ways. I don't think Russell, Smart and KG go out there trying to hurt people.  Some players do. 

Artest some of the stuff he used to pull on pierce was absurd before he became Metta World Peace lol.  I remember when Pierce lost a tooth.  Artest then pantz'd him after that.  The nba then went into this mode of trying to take violence out of the game after that brawl in indy.

What Russell and KG would do is different to me.  Same with Marcus.  I don't think these are the bad guys of the nba. 

When you have guys like Lebron and D12, dwade and Artest you are going to have guys like KG and Smart etc..

It's not a bias either. I've always been a good judge of character and who is doing what. I have my reasons for saying that too because I don't think these are bad guys.  Some of them are in ways and need stood up to.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 08:25:15 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2016, 09:18:48 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

"Boston Celtics guard Marcus Smart received a flop warning from the NBA for his exaggerated dive at the end of Monday's 107-106 loss to the Houston Rockets. As Al Horford's last-second layup attempt rolled off the rim, Smart embellished contact chasing a rebound in hopes of a whistle. Smart is only the fourth player to receive a warning this year."

MikeB

I have a hard time with Marcus. Yes, he's a very good defender, but it seems like most, if not all, of his defensive contributions are negated by his generally subpar offensive output. It's great that his ballhandling and his assist rate have improved, but his shooting and overall offensive game are sorely lacking.

And the fact that he's bringing the worst of soccer to the NBA isn't cool, either.

Then WHY does he usually have the best of one of the best +/- on our team EVERY game???????????

Smitty77

He's played in 18 games this season; in 10 of them he finished in the positive, in 7 of them he finished in the negative, and in 1 game he was a 0. So I don't think he has as many great +/- performances as you're thinking.

Marcus, while starting tonight, is a +19!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2016, 09:20:36 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I just question certain things and have noticed certain things is all since trump got in office.  I was reading an injury report where a team is keeping a player out 6-8 weeks on an injury that has never taken more than 2-3 weeks and that player has never been worse for wear.  I can understand being cautious and wanting to get things right.  But it reminds me of roger gooddell in ways.  It's one thing if they actually are trying to do that vs doing things at the sacrifice of teammates, fans, that player too for no reason whatsoever.

I can get that where some of these guys are rushed back end up getting reinjured and being cautious is good but at the same time some of it is just absurd is all and they aren't addressing the real issues.

I hope they do get it right.  But it's their own fault in the first place. 

If people were more understanding and less selfish this stuff wouldn't even be.

I just made a post about espn criticizing marcus's flops and TO was on there.  I knew this was coming.  I have no issue with these people but they aren't exactly the brightest tacks in the shed themselves.

I've noticed is all since trump got elected people get a sense of power and start attacking people who have nothing to do with it too.

Understanding is one thing.  Being anything but that is something else.

Yes, Trump is affecting how long teams hold out players on injuries:-))))  I have seriously heard it all!!!!!!!!!!

Give me a freaking break!!!!

Smitty77

« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2016, 09:22:39 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I just question certain things and have noticed certain things is all since trump got in office.  I was reading an injury report where a team is keeping a player out 6-8 weeks on an injury that has never taken more than 2-3 weeks and that player has never been worse for wear.  I can understand being cautious and wanting to get things right.  But it reminds me of roger gooddell in ways.  It's one thing if they actually are trying to do that vs doing things at the sacrifice of teammates, fans, that player too for no reason whatsoever.

I can get that where some of these guys are rushed back end up getting reinjured and being cautious is good but at the same time some of it is just absurd is all and they aren't addressing the real issues.

I hope they do get it right.  But it's their own fault in the first place. 

If people were more understanding and less selfish this stuff wouldn't even be.

I just made a post about espn criticizing marcus's flops and TO was on there.  I knew this was coming.  I have no issue with these people but they aren't exactly the brightest tacks in the shed themselves.

I've noticed is all since trump got elected people get a sense of power and start attacking people who have nothing to do with it too.

Understanding is one thing.  Being anything but that is something else.
Really Trump has made people this way. I guess you have not watch any Stephen A Smith or his blow hard buddy now on Fox Sports. They were the start and then you have people like me writing stuff that I should not but I am because deep down I wanted to be Stephen A Smith. Life in the fastlane of the instant news world. No more waiting to the Sunday Sport Section every hour is that today in the information world.
Smart will figure it out and over come as well. Go Celtics!!!

You guys and gals have given Trump a LOT of power over "YOUR" lives, haven't you?? 

Smitty77

« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2016, 09:24:48 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

MikeB

Well ...

Love how people ignore his defensive skills.  C'mon.

Is it ignoring his defensive skills to note that his defense is measurably worse than it has been in the past, on top of everything else?

He's an OK backup ball-handler and defensive guard.  That's all.

You are just wrong Phosita.  His DRPM is actually higher regarding the ranking of PG's.

https://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM/position/1

Smitty77

It's interesting that his DRPM is that high (compared to other point guards) given that his Defensive Rating is way up and his steal rate is way down.

You're right to point out his DRPM ranking among point guards.  That's a mark in his favor, though RPM overall has him ranked very low because of how bad he is offensively.

Generally, what I see with Marcus is that he is as bad as ever on offense, apart from his passing.  While his defense is still good, especially for his size, he isn't the playmaker on that end he has been in the past.  Part of that dropoff may indeed be due to the fact he's been asked to guard larger players.

In any case, it seems fairly evident he isn't up to the standard we hoped he would be at this point.  He is a nice defensive backup, but he's a decided negative offensively and hasn't shown much development as a scorer.

Please note I'm as disappointed as anybody to reach that conclusion.  I had high hopes for Marcus as recently as a year ago.  It's not hard to find old posts of mine opining that he could become a quality starter.

You or someone also mistakenly said that his shooting is down.  Both his two-point and his three-point averages are slightly up.  Yes, his FT is down.

Smitty77

« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2016, 09:26:25 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
No silly people are who think they are doing what's right.

Lebron james is a bully. KG is not also.  I always found it funny when people who didn't like KG would call him a fake bully and tough guy.  They are sort of right.  KG wasn't a bully.  Actually a nice guy who knew the difference between right and wrong. 

Both are **** cats ultimately.

« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2016, 09:28:15 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Also trump is not absorbing my life.  I just thought it was funny i was on another forum and said something that had nothing to do with politics and what someone assumed was just funny is all. Some people  are absorbed with that political mindset and assume others are too that have nothing to do with it.

The politics of basketball are what they are though.  So are a lot of things.  People have lost their minds lol.

« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2016, 09:32:40 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

"Boston Celtics guard Marcus Smart received a flop warning from the NBA for his exaggerated dive at the end of Monday's 107-106 loss to the Houston Rockets. As Al Horford's last-second layup attempt rolled off the rim, Smart embellished contact chasing a rebound in hopes of a whistle. Smart is only the fourth player to receive a warning this year."

MikeB

I have a hard time with Marcus. Yes, he's a very good defender, but it seems like most, if not all, of his defensive contributions are negated by his generally subpar offensive output. It's great that his ballhandling and his assist rate have improved, but his shooting and overall offensive game are sorely lacking.

And the fact that he's bringing the worst of soccer to the NBA isn't cool, either.

Then WHY does he usually have the best of one of the best +/- on our team EVERY game???????????

Smitty77

He's played in 18 games this season; in 10 of them he finished in the positive, in 7 of them he finished in the negative, and in 1 game he was a 0. So I don't think he has as many great +/- performances as you're thinking.

Marcus, while starting tonight, is a +19!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smitty77

Yeah, tonight was a good night, for just about everyone on the Celtics.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis