Author Topic: Smart gets flop warning from NBA  (Read 9420 times)

Re: Smart gets flop warning from NBA
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2016, 01:09:56 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
it's fine for offensive players to swing their elbows and do all sorts of crap.  but marcus flopping oh no we can't have people getting hurt now. 

the nba is more concerned with their image than actually doing what is right.

Its one thing if they aren't but they are. They don't give a crap about people getting hurt.

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2016, 01:10:56 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

How much is Smart actually helping the Celtics?  Can't score, can't shoot and getting rep for being a flopper...

MikeB

Well ...

He's not getting as many steals, his rebounding is a little bit worse, his shooting isn't any better, he's getting to the rim less, his free throw rate is less ...

Also, his defensive rating stinks.

I guess the answer is that he's providing ballhandling and playmaking on the second unit.  His assist rate is significantly higher than it was last year.  But his point per-36 are down despite his usage rate being higher.

Combine that with the fact that his defense has not been up to his previous standard.

So, yeah, Smart seems to be stagnating.  It's pretty disappointing.
Love how people ignore his defensive skills.  C'mon.

Is it ignoring his defensive skills to note that his defense is measurably worse than it has been in the past, on top of everything else?

He's an OK backup ball-handler and defensive guard.  That's all.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2016, 01:19:11 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
All Mikes on CB are required to sign all posts on each and every occasion.

Mike
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2016, 01:21:07 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
The bad defensive numbers this year are probably just a result of the team being worse at defense in general.  I find it hard to believe that his defense just randomly fell off a cliff in his third year in a league.

That said, I think it's fair to assume at this point that his realistic ceiling is a playmaking Tony Allen, assuming he can learn to play within his offensive limitations.  (If not, he's an inefficient playmaking Tony Allen.)  He's not going to be a superstar, but that's a fine player to have.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2016, 01:23:24 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Stevens needs to tell Marcus to stop flopping and stop whining to the refs.
Just play ball.

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2016, 01:25:08 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
I'm not saying he shouldn't get a warning

But more players should get them more often

They need to crack down and issue suspensions after games
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2016, 01:26:17 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

How much is Smart actually helping the Celtics?  Can't score, can't shoot and getting rep for being a flopper...

MikeB

Well ...

He's not getting as many steals, his rebounding is a little bit worse, his shooting isn't any better, he's getting to the rim less, his free throw rate is less ...

I guess the answer is that he's providing ballhandling and playmaking on the second unit.  His assist rate is significantly higher than it was last year.  But his point per-36 are down despite his usage rate being higher.

Combine that with the fact that his defense has not been up to his previous standard.

Is it ignoring his defensive skills to note that his defense is measurably worse than it has been in the past, on top of everything else?

Smart is playing a lot of minutes guarding 3s this season, unlike past years.  He's capable at it, but he's going to be less successful there sometimes, giving up 3-6 inches to most SF.  To not note his change in defensive assignments is ignoring things.  He's still our second-best SF behind Crowder, even though that's not his position, at all.  It doesn't mean Smart has gotten worse or has less value -- he's helping the team compensate for deficiencies in its front-court depth.  That's quite valuable, even if box scores will try to convince you otherwise.

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2016, 01:28:54 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
You can tell from this thread that Larbrd has quite the blog :(

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2016, 01:36:03 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I hope they call it every time Marcus takes an elbow and a knee to the face now instead of flopping.

He is just going to have to stand there and not even attempt to move out  of the way.  Offensive foul better be called every time and that player should be called for a flgrant and suspended if marcus gets hurt.

lebron also should be suspended for using performance enhancing drugs.

Since the  nba is so concerned and trying to clean up the game.......
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 01:42:20 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2016, 01:37:06 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
All Mikes on CB are required to sign all posts on each and every occasion.

Mike

I've wondered what this was about.

Are you guys in a club or something?
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2016, 01:38:38 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

Smart is playing a lot of minutes guarding 3s this season, unlike past years.  He's capable at it, but he's going to be less successful there sometimes, giving up 3-6 inches to most SF.  To not note his change in defensive assignments is ignoring things. 

This is a fair point.  He has been asked to guard bigger players a lot more due to the lack of depth on the wing.

Even so, I'm disappointed in his lack of offensive development (arguably he has regressed somewhat, though it's small sample size).
- Mark Twain

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2016, 01:44:32 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

MikeB

Well ...

Measurably?  Care to back that up?

At this rate we are going to have a thread about every player on the team.  Trade them all, start over.  Squander Horford's presence.  I am really getting sick of this.

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2016, 01:46:59 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
what's funny is if you watch most of marcus's flops they are flops but its usually because the offensive player is doing something wrong like jumping into him or swinging their elbow or leading with their knee etc..  most people don't notice that.

It's him overreacting and trying to get out of the way and selling it.

marcus is a really good defender who is good at staying in front of his man and being physical and  now is going to take a lot of punishment more than likely. 

I hope they let him play physical on physcial offensive players and call it the other way. They probably won't.

They are basically saying here marcus take an elbow to the face.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 01:55:24 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2016, 01:57:21 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
Even in post situations the offensive player is allowed to muscle the defender and push him around and usually it's marcus and defender who gets called for a foul if he does the same thing and battles for position.

The root cause isn't being addressed is the problem. The nba is  more concerned with their image.

Marcus is a good defender and knows this.   Why he flops. I doubt he would do that if the nba wasn't so messed up.

how about getting ped's out of the game?  but no that's money in their pockets.  Easier to blame someone else for their own bs.

Marcus is making them look bad.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 02:09:09 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2016, 01:57:33 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238

Helps a ton. Ask any guard (or small forward for that matter) in this conference if they want to be checked by Smart.

Nobody wants that guy guarding them. I wouldn't either.

Ask Montrezl Harrell.