Author Topic: Smart gets flop warning from NBA  (Read 9494 times)

Re: Smart gets flop warning from NBA
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2016, 02:06:39 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

Smart is playing a lot of minutes guarding 3s this season, unlike past years.  He's capable at it, but he's going to be less successful there sometimes, giving up 3-6 inches to most SF.  To not note his change in defensive assignments is ignoring things. 

This is a fair point.  He has been asked to guard bigger players a lot more due to the lack of depth on the wing.

Even so, I'm disappointed in his lack of offensive development (arguably he has regressed somewhat, though it's small sample size).

Perhaps this is tiring him out and negatively impacted his offense.

« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2016, 02:08:41 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Smart is playing a lot of minutes guarding 3s this season, unlike past years.  He's capable at it, but he's going to be less successful there sometimes, giving up 3-6 inches to most SF.  To not note his change in defensive assignments is ignoring things. 

This is a fair point.  He has been asked to guard bigger players a lot more due to the lack of depth on the wing.

Even so, I'm disappointed in his lack of offensive development (arguably he has regressed somewhat, though it's small sample size).

I suppose that's possible, sure.

If Smart ends up starting in place of Isaiah, it will be interesting to see how he does playing predominantly as a ball-handling guard.

Of course, I hope we don't see too much of that.  This team needs Isaiah out there.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2016, 02:09:41 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

I suppose that's possible, sure.

If Smart ends up starting in place of Isaiah, it will be interesting to see how he does playing predominantly as a ball-handling guard.

Of course, I hope we don't see too much of that.  This team needs Isaiah out there.

Yea I fear between no IT and Orlando's complete lack of shooters (particularly Payton and Gordon) tonight's game could be very ugly to watch.

« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2016, 02:11:43 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

"Boston Celtics guard Marcus Smart received a flop warning from the NBA for his exaggerated dive at the end of Monday's 107-106 loss to the Houston Rockets. As Al Horford's last-second layup attempt rolled off the rim, Smart embellished contact chasing a rebound in hopes of a whistle. Smart is only the fourth player to receive a warning this year."

How much is Smart actually helping the Celtics?  Can't score, can't shoot and getting rep for being a flopper...

MikeB

I have a hard time with Marcus. Yes, he's a very good defender, but it seems like most, if not all, of his defensive contributions are negated by his generally subpar offensive output. It's great that his ballhandling and his assist rate have improved, but his shooting and overall offensive game are sorely lacking.

And the fact that he's bringing the worst of soccer to the NBA isn't cool, either.

Smart isn't bringing flopping into the NBA, it was here long before he was drafted.  Pretty much every player in the NBA has flopped at one point or another (especially on offense)

I didn't mean to imply that he's the originator of NBA flopping. But he does it more than most.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2016, 02:14:36 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Marcus isn't the problem. He's a product of it.

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2016, 02:18:26 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

One thing it certainly does is takes away his ability to post-up smaller guards, since he's now being matched up against a SF half the time.  Last year 29% of his shots came at the rim and he made 51% of them.  This year he's only taking 20% of his shots at the rim and making 47%.  His free throw rate is also down (again presumably because large defenders don't need to foul him).

« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2016, 02:19:13 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
He does need to be aware that doing that stuff leaves him open to criticism by people who are concerned about image and stuff like that.  When the nba starts addressing the actual issues I'll be impressed though.

They don't want people being hurt etc, etc.   It's one thing if the nba were really doing that.

It's a competitive sport. Offensive players are allowed to get away with much worse and given an unfair advantage. In the meantime this is basically the nba saying to a player on my team to take an elbow to the face.

Marcus needs to be aware of that.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 02:37:36 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2016, 02:23:29 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
So what happens from a warning? Is that followed by a fine or suspension?

« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2016, 02:31:49 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Smart needs to tone it down.  They are on to him.  All players do it to some degree but Smart is overdoing it.

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2016, 02:32:56 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
So what happens from a warning? Is that followed by a fine or suspension?

$5k fine, increasing until eventually you get a suspension if you get caught enough (more than 5 in a regular season.) Only Lance Stephenson has ever been fined more than once in a season. No one has ever sniffed a suspension.

« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2016, 02:49:45 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

"Boston Celtics guard Marcus Smart received a flop warning from the NBA for his exaggerated dive at the end of Monday's 107-106 loss to the Houston Rockets. As Al Horford's last-second layup attempt rolled off the rim, Smart embellished contact chasing a rebound in hopes of a whistle. Smart is only the fourth player to receive a warning this year."

How much is Smart actually helping the Celtics?  Can't score, can't shoot and getting rep for being a flopper...

MikeB

He is the second best defensive PG in the entire NBA!!!!!

https://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/DRPM/position/1

Do you not care about defense?

Smitty77

« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2016, 02:50:49 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

MikeB

Well ...

He's not getting as many steals, his rebounding is a little bit worse, his shooting isn't any better, he's getting to the rim less, his free throw rate is less ...

Also, his defensive rating stinks.

I guess the answer is that he's providing ballhandling and playmaking on the second unit.  His assist rate is significantly higher than it was last year.  But his point per-36 are down despite his usage rate being higher.

Combine that with the fact that his defense has not been up to his previous standard.

So, yeah, Smart seems to be stagnating.  It's pretty disappointing.

Really??????????????

« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2016, 02:52:15 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

MikeB

I have a hard time with Marcus. Yes, he's a very good defender, but it seems like most, if not all, of his defensive contributions are negated by his generally subpar offensive output. It's great that his ballhandling and his assist rate have improved, but his shooting and overall offensive game are sorely lacking.

And the fact that he's bringing the worst of soccer to the NBA isn't cool, either.

Then WHY does he usually have the best of one of the best +/- on our team EVERY game???????????

Smitty77

« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2016, 02:54:35 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Marcus is good.  The nba sucks.  just made a big post about this actually.  Doesn't surprise me.  They are losers. Honestly some of these people in charge need to be dealt with like trump in reverse, even trump should be called a loser every so often.
Marcus flops what are you talking about ****

Who cares IF he flops??  So does Lebron.  Who cares.

He is the second best defensive PG in the entire NBA!!

Smitty77

« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2016, 02:56:59 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
with trump in office a lot of these ****bags get a feeling of power and become even more stupid.  It's like watching jerry jones get to work.  gotta get it right.  unfortunately they  are going after the wrong people.

why not go after lebron and get steroids out of the game then? oh there's money in that.  marcus flopping makes them look bad.

Why in the heck did you bring Trump into this?  What does this have to do with the owner of the team with the BEST record in the NFL??

Smitty

P.S.  I agree with you on your steroids comment!!!