Author Topic: Smart gets flop warning from NBA  (Read 9417 times)

Smart gets flop warning from NBA
« on: December 07, 2016, 12:18:10 PM »

Offline MikeB12

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 28

"Boston Celtics guard Marcus Smart received a flop warning from the NBA for his exaggerated dive at the end of Monday's 107-106 loss to the Houston Rockets. As Al Horford's last-second layup attempt rolled off the rim, Smart embellished contact chasing a rebound in hopes of a whistle. Smart is only the fourth player to receive a warning this year."

How much is Smart actually helping the Celtics?  Can't score, can't shoot and getting rep for being a flopper...

MikeB

Re: Smart gets flop warning from NBA
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 12:29:22 PM »

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
We are a better team with Marcus on the floor. He may not be a great scorer. But he's been great in the pick n roll, and has shown superior court vision with the ball in his hands making plays. He's also our best or second best individual and team defender. He also just as winning intangibles most players just don't have, and a clutch gene as he hit two big threes down the stretch against Houston as an example.

I agree, his embellishing of contact needs to be toned down cause he looks rediculous sometimes. I think this kind of warning will probably help tame that a bit, but flopping is part of the game. The elite players are just as guilty as being floppers just as Smart is. See: James, LeBron as one of the biggest offenders.

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 12:34:24 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

How much is Smart actually helping the Celtics?  Can't score, can't shoot and getting rep for being a flopper...

MikeB

Well ...

He's not getting as many steals, his rebounding is a little bit worse, his shooting isn't any better, he's getting to the rim less, his free throw rate is less ...

Also, his defensive rating stinks.

I guess the answer is that he's providing ballhandling and playmaking on the second unit.  His assist rate is significantly higher than it was last year.  But his point per-36 are down despite his usage rate being higher.

Combine that with the fact that his defense has not been up to his previous standard.

So, yeah, Smart seems to be stagnating.  It's pretty disappointing.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 12:35:41 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Most players in the NBA imbellish contact. A few examples LeBron's flopping or Pierce's "HEYY.." yell. Smart just has to dial it down because he isn't a star who the refs will give that call to.

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 12:37:13 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Yeah, Smart really screwed us at the end of the Rockets game  ::)

Too bad he can't make winning plays like, say, drawing a flagrant foul when the other team has possession in a 3 point game with less than 20 seconds left
I'm bitter.

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 12:37:50 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

MikeB

Well ...

He's not getting as many steals, his rebounding is a little bit worse, his shooting isn't any better, he's getting to the rim less, his free throw rate is less ...

Also, his defensive rating stinks.

I guess the answer is that he's providing ballhandling and playmaking on the second unit.  His assist rate is significantly higher than it was last year.  But his point per-36 are down despite his usage rate being higher.

Combine that with the fact that his defense has not been up to his previous standard.

So, yeah, Smart seems to be stagnating.  It's pretty disappointing.
Love how people ignore his defensive skills.  C'mon.

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 12:42:02 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324

"Boston Celtics guard Marcus Smart received a flop warning from the NBA for his exaggerated dive at the end of Monday's 107-106 loss to the Houston Rockets. As Al Horford's last-second layup attempt rolled off the rim, Smart embellished contact chasing a rebound in hopes of a whistle. Smart is only the fourth player to receive a warning this year."

MikeB

I have a hard time with Marcus. Yes, he's a very good defender, but it seems like most, if not all, of his defensive contributions are negated by his generally subpar offensive output. It's great that his ballhandling and his assist rate have improved, but his shooting and overall offensive game are sorely lacking.

And the fact that he's bringing the worst of soccer to the NBA isn't cool, either.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 12:46:11 PM »

Offline MikeB12

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 28
Smart may be a good defensive player but his lack of offensive skills negates much of the benefit the Celtics receive from his defense.   He is an offensive liability so does his being a good defensive player offset his poor offense? - it my mind it does not. 

Metrics apparently show that Smart is actually a net liability to the Celtics.

MikeB

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 12:47:54 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
MikeB

then I suggest you actually watch the games. While I agree that his flopping is a legit issue but you cannot discredit his value on the court on the defensive end, taking charges, stepping up when it matters most, and improved ball handling. When he is on the court, his energy and leadership is the reason why we won most games.

And at this point, I gave up on Smart ever being a star but I am still a HUGE fan of him. Offensively yes, he could be better, and his shooting is an issue, but he's no where in the top 5 offensive option on the Celtics

1. IT
2. Horford
3. Bradley
4. Crowder
5. would you even put Kelly up there? and you know 10 ppg for a 5th option isn't really that bad

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 12:48:14 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

MikeB

I have a hard time with Marcus. Yes, he's a very good defender, but it seems like most, if not all, of his defensive contributions are negated by his generally subpar offensive output. It's great that his ballhandling and his assist rate have improved, but his shooting and overall offensive game are sorely lacking.

And the fact that he's bringing the worst of soccer to the NBA isn't cool, either.

Smart isn't bringing flopping into the NBA, it was here long before he was drafted.  Pretty much every player in the NBA has flopped at one point or another (especially on offense)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 12:49:05 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
I love you Marcus, but a little surprised this is only the first one for him this season.

Does the league only watch NBA TV games or something?

Still look forward to him topping this one though:

« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 01:04:52 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 12:59:10 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
Marcus is good.  The nba sucks.  just made a big post about this actually.  Doesn't surprise me.  They are losers. Honestly some of these people in charge need to be dealt with like trump in reverse, even trump should be called a loser every so often.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 01:05:22 PM by walker834 »

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 01:04:17 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

MikeB

Helps a ton. Ask any guard (or small forward for that matter) in this conference if they want to be checked by Smart.

Nobody wants that guy guarding them. I wouldn't either.

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 01:04:47 PM »

Offline JaylenBrown7

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 21
Marcus is good.  The nba sucks.  just made a big post about this actually.  Doesn't surprise me.  They are losers. Honestly some of these people in charge need to be dealt with like trump in reverse, even trump should be called a loser every so often.
Marcus flops what are you talking about ****

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2016, 01:06:07 PM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
with trump in office a lot of these ****bags get a feeling of power and become even more stupid.  It's like watching jerry jones get to work.  gotta get it right.  unfortunately they  are going after the wrong people.

why not go after lebron and get steroids out of the game then? oh there's money in that.  marcus flopping makes them look bad.