Author Topic: The Donatas Motiejunas saga  (Read 3356 times)

The Donatas Motiejunas saga
« on: December 07, 2016, 11:24:27 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Over the weekend, the Nets extended an offer sheet to D-Mo, which he accepted.  The Rockets had until the end of Monday to exercise their right of first refusal, which they did at around 5pm.  However, the Rockets exercised this on condition that Motiejunas pass a physical, which they have a right to do under the CBA.

However, Team D-Mo is mad at Houston, so they're refusing to show up for the physical.  It's not clear what they hope to accomplish by this.  Larry Coon has more at the link below, but the TL;DR version is this:

1) If D-Mo refuses to show, the Rockets can at any time rescind their right of first refusal.
2) If this happens, D-Mo would still be a restricted free agent, but would not be allowed to sign a new offer sheet with the Nets for a year.  So he'd be in the same position as he was last week, but down the team most interested in signing him.

We'll see what happens, but it seems like Team Motiejunas is making a bad situation worse for themselves.

http://cbafaq.com/blog/?p=381

Re: The Donatas Motiejunas saga
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 11:38:17 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
It seemed from Demo's comments before the offer sheet that he was happy to go back to houston if the matched. I wonder how much of this is his agent, BJ Armstrong, who insisted they know their rights and know what they are doing. I think his agent has no clue and Motiejunas should drop him and show up to Houston before he ends up out of the NBA.

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 11:41:30 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I think Demo's agent doesn't trust the Rockets. I think he wants playing time and/or guaranteed money and is going to play hard as heck ball to try to get what he wants. He has to be careful

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 11:43:18 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Good for D-Mo.  Houston has not been very kind to him, should have let him go.  Matching the offer seems spiteful, after refusing to pay him less than that amount up until now.

I have to think DMo has another team out there willing to make an offer.  Heck, we could use him...

I also like that he is bringing light to an area of the CBA that isn't at all geared to the players interest.  Houston keeping him in purgatory like this really isn't cool.  If they are willing to match a 9M offer, why not offer that from the get-go? 

Sure, they are well within their rights to do this--but its becoming a big distraction for a team that trying to find a new identity.  Morey is blowing it big time here, and I predict this saga takes his team out of the running for any major FA during the rest of his tenure. 

No player wants to be treated like an expendable part, and agents will remember. 

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 11:43:41 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
I think Demo's agent doesn't trust the Rockets. I think he wants playing time and/or guaranteed money and is going to play hard as heck ball to try to get what he wants. He has to be careful

He has zero leverage though. Demo got a decent contract. If the Rockets waive him he could still collect some cash and then would show he's healthy and sign elsewhere unrestricted. This way, he's stuck with no bargaining power.

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 11:43:47 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

The problem with playing hard ball in this case is that Houston holds all the cards.  If he really wants to play hard ball then he should sign (or threaten to sign) the qualifying offer
I'm bitter.

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 11:54:35 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
This is Montiejunas' Revenge.   ;D

I can't resist a good pun.

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 11:59:17 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

The problem with playing hard ball in this case is that Houston holds all the cards.  If he really wants to play hard ball then he should sign (or threaten to sign) the qualifying offer
I thought they pulled the QO so now this is the only contract he can sign other than an overseas one. I do think he has leverage and he is using it. Perhaps it's more about playing time. I assume if he fails the physical he can sign with Brooklyn and they seemed to think he was healthy. I just don't think his agent wants to take chances with him failing physicals and doesn't want him buried on a bench unnecessarily.

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 08:23:29 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
What I read is that even though Houston technically matched the Nets' offer, it's actually $6 million dollar less than what the Nets had on the table, because Houston doesn't have to match all the incentive stuff the Nets had in their offer. And Demo doesn't want to sign a contract for less than what the Nets offered.

There's also something about guaranteed money that I didn't quite follow.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/report-donatas-motiejunas-is-holding-out-on-the-rockets-because-of-6-million/

It's funny that, because of the cap, these kind of contract fights only really happen with fringe starters/top bench guys. The NBA working class.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2016, 08:49:08 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
What I read is that even though Houston technically matched the Nets' offer, it's actually $6 million dollar less than what the Nets had on the table, because Houston doesn't have to match all the incentive stuff the Nets had in their offer. And Demo doesn't want to sign a contract for less than what the Nets offered.

There's also something about guaranteed money that I didn't quite follow.

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/report-donatas-motiejunas-is-holding-out-on-the-rockets-because-of-6-million/

It's funny that, because of the cap, these kind of contract fights only really happen with fringe starters/top bench guys. The NBA working class.

I've read that too, but D-Mo should be mad at his agent.  If he doesn't play this year, he's going to lose more than $6 million.

The guaranteed money discussion revolves around that D-Mo's contract guarantees for next year on March 1st, and the Rockets would like that to be a later date.  It then kind of goes into an author hypothesizing that maybe the two sides could work something out to satisfy both sides, but at that point the article has moved from reporting to guessing.

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 08:56:46 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

He and his manager should know what resticted free agent means. I can't see how their strategy won't harm him in the end

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 09:22:52 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

Ok that was pretty good ......good enough for a TP  :D

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 09:56:55 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Ok that was pretty good ......good enough for a TP  :D
Back at ya' with a TP, Shaq.  I'm glad somebody got it!

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2016, 01:32:00 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
re-signed with Rockets
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2016, 08:23:33 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
re-signed with Rockets
And our long national nightmare is finally over.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008