Author Topic: I am starting to view trading the 17 Nets pick as a critical mistake  (Read 5298 times)

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Prior to the season I was of the mind set that the Cs where loaded to a point where consolidation of talent and assets where the only option moving forward. This included the need to use cap friendly deals and the Nets pick to upgrade the front court in hopes of a deep playoff push. This stance has now changed.

This is not a knock on the current Cs team as I love the way they play and feel with the addition of a starting level talent at PF/C to play along side Al they are clearly a top 3 team in the east. My issue is short of Paul George being gifted to the Cs by Bird I cant see enough talent being added to this roster to beat the Cavs and clearly not the Warriors in a 7 game series. Adding this to what now looks like an elite top end draft makes me view trading the pick as a critical long term mistake.

I have not seen as more college basketball as I would have liked at this point in the season. I have been able to watch a little of Fultz, Ball and Tatum and think all three are clearly on a path to being NBA all stars. Not to mention Smith ( who DX has 2nd) and Issac (who has a very intriguing profile for a modern say stretch 4).

As much as they are redundant and less then perfect fits the talent that could potentially be added to this roster in Fultz, Ball and Tatum can not be overlooked. In a theoretical situation the Cs could have in two years a new foundation set with a 24 year old Smart, 22 year old Brown and 20 year old Fultz/Ball. As much as I want to just see this team win now the realist in me cant help but think that young core paired with long term contract worthy vets like Crowder and AB (IT is a huge concern post the age of 30) and an aging Horford would be in a great position to win in a league with an aging lebron.

With an eye towards that I would consider an on the surface short sited trade like the following

Cs trade to the Mavs
Amir
Rozier

Mavs trade to the Cs
Bogut
Harris

This brings a young talent to the Mavs in Rozier. For the Cs Bogut fixes a major rebounding issue while Harris fills Rozier's role for the remainder of the season setting the Cs up for the playoffs this year. Retaining the 17 pick will allow the Cs to then draft Fultz, Ball or Smith to fill the Rozier/Harris role and be the eventual replacement for IT. This could set the stage for a mid season IT trade with hopefully Jackson stepping into the backup role.   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: I am starting to view trading the 17 Nets pick as a critical mistake
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2016, 08:24:22 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I like your thinking but with one concern:  I am not convinced a young core of Smart/Brown/#17 pick is good enough.

If you can get Boogie, trade #17 every day.

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2016, 08:27:15 AM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I am OK using the Net picks in trades, as long as the team doesn't move both of them in a single trade.

They are there to add talent.  A single pick is not likely enough to move the Celtics into being a contender quickly.  This team is set up to move into that type of position quickly with it's depth.

I think the best of both worlds would be to use some of the depth and picks to add the top level star this team needs while keeping some top level youth and a single Nets pick to create more longevity to the Celtics time as contenders. 

Of course all of this is mute if that top level star never become available.

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2016, 09:05:19 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I like your thinking but with one concern:  I am not convinced a young core of Smart/Brown/#17 pick is good enough.

If you can get Boogie, trade #17 every day.

I have moved past wanting Cousins. Seeing him demeanor in interviews leading up to the last game and the maturity issues that have followed him I think its going to be a battle to build a winning team with him as the center piece. I am not saying Brown, Smart and #17 are good enough but if the PG they pick with the 2017 Pick is as good as Fultz and Ball currently look then they are on their way to a dynamic young core. You also can not look at those 3 players/assets in a bubble. The team will still have many of the same players that are currently on the roster and a still large stash of picks. Its may seem way to early to look into but I am sure DA and his staff are very aware that the 2018 draft is headlined by an elite big men group in Ayton, Bamba and Carter. I do not expect the Nets to be out of the leagues basement for at least a couple more years and this pick could be equally valuable.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2016, 09:27:07 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 911
I'm not as attached to the 2017 pick as I once was, although that will change throughout the season. I am a big believer in drafting BPA. If I look at the top 10 as it stands on DX now, though, 9 of the first 10 picks are PG, SG or SF. We're fine in those areas. The first big guy that I see is at #8.

Obviously, players move up and down the draft board throughout the year but, if I'm looking at it simply as a snapshot of where we are now, I could be convinced to let 2017 go if we got some front court talent in return.

Mike

ETA: Totally hoping that we draft Mohamed Bamba in 2018. No clue if he's a good player, but his name is just so much fun to say.

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2016, 09:53:28 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I agree.

Only trade we need to make is for a solid rebounding big who can defend and score.

Package together 2 or 3 of Rozier, Zeller, Jerebko, and Amir.

Add in 1st rounders as needed (aside from the BKN picks).

Only way I think we should trade a BKN pick is if we're getting a top 10 player AND we're only giving up 1 core player.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 09:56:23 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I am OK using the Net picks in trades, as long as the team doesn't move both of them in a single trade.

They are there to add talent.  A single pick is not likely enough to move the Celtics into being a contender quickly.  This team is set up to move into that type of position quickly with it's depth.

I think the best of both worlds would be to use some of the depth and picks to add the top level star this team needs while keeping some top level youth and a single Nets pick to create more longevity to the Celtics time as contenders. 

I agree that trading both Brooklyn picks is a mistake, except in the off chance that we have the opportunity to bring in a top 10 talent that is reasonably young. Anthony Davis? I'll trade both picks and a couple players to bring him in. Same for Westbrook and Towns.

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2016, 10:06:58 AM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
The Nuggets, Kings, Suns, Pelicans, Magic, and Wizards (plus the Nets, LOL) are proof drafting over and over in the lottery does not work on its own.

I think the Thunder and Wolves are more of the exception, not the rule, to good drafting and results. Even still, what have those teams won?

Unless the next Lebron or Kobe is for sure coming out of the draft (which they are not) you trade the pick if you have the option.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2016, 10:09:17 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
1) Not a great draft for PFs and Centers. Thus I'm open to Cousins if Danny is. Other options depend on the cost.

2) Can get Bogut for a late 1st (LAC 2019)/early 2nd (Minn 2017) at most + filler. No way you give up Rozier for him. 20-24 MPG. Very good defender, but will miss 20% of any season at this point. Would be a great 3rd big man with Horford and yet to be determined trade/FA/draft pick to come.

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2016, 10:10:14 AM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
The Nuggets, Kings, Suns, Pelicans, Magic, and Wizards (plus the Nets, LOL) are proof drafting over and over in the lottery does not work on its own.

I think the Thunder and Wolves are more of the exception, not the rule, to good drafting and results. Even still, what have those teams won?

Unless the next Lebron or Kobe is for sure coming out of the draft (which they are not) you trade the pick if you have the option.

What about Anthony Davis, Cousins, Greek Freak, or even Jimmy butler? I wouldn't trade away any of those would be picks.

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2016, 10:25:35 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
What was the point of signing Horford and not trading Thomas and Crowder if you weren't going to try and win now?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2016, 10:30:47 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff

What about Anthony Davis, Cousins, Greek Freak, or even Jimmy butler? I wouldn't trade away any of those would be picks.

Jimmy Butler was an anomaly- I don't think the 29 other GMs expected him to be an all star. Otherwise they would have drafted him or traded up to draft him (the #21 pick was probably not untouchable).

I think BlackCeltic's point is that high draft picks (even really good ones like Anthony Davis) does not equal wins. Team building does. Draft picks are one of the components of building a team, as well as FA, player development, coaching, etc.

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2016, 10:34:20 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
What was the point of signing Horford and not trading Thomas and Crowder if you weren't going to try and win now?

Define win. A win against the 76ers? Check. Playoff wins against the Cavs/Warriors? No check.

I think Danny is doing a masterful job of maneuvering around the common strategies of stinking for talent and going all in for a championship today. This while having multiple opportunities of acquiring the best 19 year olds, as well as putting his team in a position to win a playoff series or two.

I really like IT, but I think he's a place-holder until we get the next PG that will take us to the Finals. Crowder is a role player on a championship team, and Horford could be the 3rd/4th option.

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2016, 10:43:30 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Define win. A win against the 76ers? Check. Playoff wins against the Cavs/Warriors? No check.

I think Danny is doing a masterful job of maneuvering around the common strategies of stinking for talent and going all in for a championship today. This while having multiple opportunities of acquiring the best 19 year olds, as well as putting his team in a position to win a playoff series or two.

I really like IT, but I think he's a place-holder until we get the next PG that will take us to the Finals. Crowder is a role player on a championship team, and Horford could be the 3rd/4th option.
win now = true championship contender

Boston did not sign Horford to end up drafting all of the Brooklyn picks and build a future contender.  Boston signed Horford to try and build a championship team around him and the only real way to do that is to trade prime assets for a premier player.  Boston has 2 or 3 prime assets and all of them came from Brooklyn. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2016, 10:46:19 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

I agree. I think a good analogy is the recent Red Sox trade for Sales. The Sox gave up one type of asset (arguably the most promising prospect in baseball) to get another (one of the best SPs in baseball).
Celtics fan for life.