Author Topic: I am starting to view trading the 17 Nets pick as a critical mistake  (Read 5270 times)

Re: I am starting to view trading the 17 Nets pick as a critical mistake
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2016, 12:36:40 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I don't see this team beating Warriors or Cavs if you add a big name and lose key pieces. So unless it's a deal like Brown, Rozier, Zeller and two Nets 1st for a top ten player the C's might as well just keep building slowly.
There comes a point in time when mediocrity hurts future growth.  Boston isn't there yet, but that time isn't that far off either.

Can you really get mired in mediocrity when you still have what is most likely going to be a top 5/top 7 pick this year and lingering cap room down the road?  Plus an average roster age that is below the league average?

This team isn't close to going treadmill yet.  Rushing into a more win-now mode via trades and still coming up short against CLE will more likely ensure imminent mediocrity.

Celtics could move the BKN picks but they don't have to.   

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2016, 12:42:48 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I don't see this team beating Warriors or Cavs if you add a big name and lose key pieces. So unless it's a deal like Brown, Rozier, Zeller and two Nets 1st for a top ten player the C's might as well just keep building slowly.
There comes a point in time when mediocrity hurts future growth.  Boston isn't there yet, but that time isn't that far off either.
I see that too. DA has to get some luck.

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2016, 01:12:17 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
A. This team doesn't have a  Paul Pierce (future HOF) to add pieces to that will make us as Dominate as we were with the big 3

B. Horford was added as a Carrot in the Durant Talks...  When the Durant talks went south we just went ahead and Rolled with Horford. We are an improved team and maybe with a couple of Injury breaks we can end up ECF's

I have said it before... This teams next Dominance period will be With Brown as our Goto, along with Smart, and BK 2017's and one of the Stashes..  3 or 4 years down the road..

We can be exciting and competitive with IT and AL..  A Good team for Us fans to pull for.. But without that homegrown NBA Super Stud to build a championship around that's all we an hope for.   

You have to find and develop that player in the Draft..  We need our Bird or Pierce. Then we can truly make something magical happen..  I'm hoping Brown and/or that 2017 will be it..

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2016, 02:24:34 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Can you really get mired in mediocrity when you still have what is most likely going to be a top 5/top 7 pick this year and lingering cap room down the road?  Plus an average roster age that is below the league average?

This team isn't close to going treadmill yet.  Rushing into a more win-now mode via trades and still coming up short against CLE will more likely ensure imminent mediocrity.

Sure.  Say no trades and no major free agents.  Boston is thus spending the next 3 or 4 seasons playing the veterans and making the 2nd round instead of playing the young guys and letting them develop.  Boston also is hurting its own draft position and thus isn't picking up better young guys to compliment what you hope is your future title core.  Thus, your 2nd round team stunts the growth of the top end potential which might have developed into a championship team.

Boston isn't at that point yet, but it isn't that far off either.  At some point you are better off just throwing in the towel and starting over.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2016, 02:30:45 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

Yea people have insane perceptions. We literally are having another team rebuild for us right now. We could get rid of IT, Horford and Bradley and we still may not get better than a top 5 pick which the Nets are already giving us. We also have the 3rd pick from last year's draft looking pretty promising for a very young player. It is the exact opposite of treadmill. Lol. 

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2016, 02:54:56 PM »

Offline Nef-Oracle

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 5
What was the point of signing Horford and not trading Thomas and Crowder if you weren't going to try and win now?

Define win. A win against the 76ers? Check. Playoff wins against the Cavs/Warriors? No check.

I think Danny is doing a masterful job of maneuvering around the common strategies of stinking for talent and going all in for a championship today. This while having multiple opportunities of acquiring the best 19 year olds, as well as putting his team in a position to win a playoff series or two.

I really like IT, but I think he's a place-holder until we get the next PG that will take us to the Finals. Crowder is a role player on a championship team, and Horford could be the 3rd/4th option.
win now = true championship contender

Boston did not sign Horford to end up drafting all of the Brooklyn picks and build a future contender.  Boston signed Horford to try and build a championship team around him and the only real way to do that is to trade prime assets for a premier player.  Boston has 2 or 3 prime assets and all of them came from Brooklyn.

We did sign Horford primarily to help us sign KD but he did had things we needed: low post scoring,  defense & rebounding do he was a major upgrade in the frontcourt. With us being set on the perimeter the frontcourt was priority #1 to evolve to the next level. Adding Horford did just that, he's not a core piece for the future.  When the kids from Brooklyn are ready he's taking a backseat

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2016, 06:00:28 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

Sure.  Say no trades and no major free agents.  Boston is thus spending the next 3 or 4 seasons playing the veterans and making the 2nd round instead of playing the young guys and letting them develop.  Boston also is hurting its own draft position and thus isn't picking up better young guys to compliment what you hope is your future title core.  Thus, your 2nd round team stunts the growth of the top end potential which might have developed into a championship team.

Boston isn't at that point yet, but it isn't that far off either.  At some point you are better off just throwing in the towel and starting over.
Moranis I completely agree with you. Though, I have wished for us to quite this overachieving by way of using players that are not in our future plans(USURPERS) the last 2 seasons by trimming the USURPERS through trade or cutting(14/15: ET, Bass, Jonas,Gigi) after the trade deadline. Holding onto Sully also hurt us.

If you remember the 2015 draft lottery featured teams that lost stars to an injury. To my horror we kept ET, Bass, Jonas, Gigi after the trade deadline and into the playoffs. We did not have to tank but it would have been much better to have cut those players that we thought were going to fetch us some value at the deadline...like ET

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2016, 06:08:52 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

Yea people have insane perceptions. We literally are having another team rebuild for us right now. We could get rid of IT, Horford and Bradley and we still may not get better than a top 5 pick which the Nets are already giving us. We also have the 3rd pick from last year's draft looking pretty promising for a very young player. It is the exact opposite of treadmill. Lol.
Except we have overachieved in the regular season by using players that were never in our future plans or even going to be on the team the following year. Also, IT/AB are smaller for their positions and though they are younger there are more variables at play for resigning them.