Author Topic: A trade down in the draft?  (Read 5001 times)

Re: A trade down in the draft?
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2016, 10:46:20 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
The strength of the draft is at odds with what we need (I assume Giles is too risky at this point). IOW, trade the pick for a player. like others have noted, I think we need top shelf quality, not multiple good players that we'd get from a trade down.

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2016, 10:57:11 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
We are just entering the time of the season when talking about potential prospects is viable. Still way to early to talk draft positioning and potential trading of positions. Right now its safe assume rough draft position and noting else.

As for the basic idea of trading down. If we are talking moving down 1-3 spots to add value and a player the Cs view as an equal tier play to what available then I am fine with that. An example would be if on draft day the lottery looks like 1. Fultz 2. Ball 3. Tatum and the Cs rank all three as the same tier, have the 1st pick and love Tatum. Then a 1 for 3 and additional assets makes sense. Trading from the top tier of talent to a lower tier is never a good idea. In recent Cs history the Celtics drafted Rozier instead of Justin Anderson ( who at the time filled a roster need) because they had Rozier in the higher tier. This is smart drafting and what I expect for DA.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2016, 11:27:30 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
The strength of the draft is at odds with what we need (I assume Giles is too risky at this point). IOW, trade the pick for a player. like others have noted, I think we need top shelf quality, not multiple good players that we'd get from a trade down.
i think this is the joker of this draft. we simply dont know, and neither does ainge at this point. thought the injuries in question are very different, philly's gamble on embiid is working out so far.

if the medical staff clears giles, he is the #1 pick in this draft i think. if giles' knees are not achy breaky bad, he would look very very very good in green.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2016, 11:39:30 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
i think this is the joker of this draft. we simply dont know, and neither does ainge at this point. thought the injuries in question are very different, philly's gamble on embiid is working out so far.

if the medical staff clears giles, he is the #1 pick in this draft i think. if giles' knees are not achy breaky bad, he would look very very very good in green.
But I don't think Ainge would consider it working out with Giles if he manages 25 games in the first 2 1/3 years like Embiid has.

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2016, 12:55:40 PM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
No, I think Danny should and would pick Harry Giles if he thinks he's worthy of the #1 pick, or even a top 3 pick. He would be a fool not to listen to the doctors. If they they think he's similar to Amare, I still think you take him.

He looks like he could have Blake Griffin type athleticism on the low post.

I watched Fultz the other night. He looks good. I'm not convinced he's the consensus #1.

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2016, 02:35:22 PM »

Offline Nef-Oracle

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 5

Two ACL in two years plus this foot injury smells like Greg Oden & Sam Bowie. Regardless of the talent this is risky

« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2016, 02:40:14 PM »

Offline Nef-Oracle

• Derrick White
No, I think Danny should and would pick Harry Giles if he thinks he's worthy of the #1 pick, or even a top 3 pick. He would be a fool not to listen to the doctors. If they they think he's similar to Amare, I still think you take him.

I watched Fultz the other night. He looks good. I'm not convinced he's the consensus #1.

I don't think he's going first. After two ACL & being injured this year again there's a big chance he reinjure himself and slip in the draft & is picked by a team willing to wait for him to fully recover.

« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2016, 02:44:23 PM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
I see alot of Webber in Giles. Not the passing, but most other aspects appear to be there.

But yea the injury thing scares me. Im really coming around to tatum. Kid looks like he could be a star.
#JKJB

« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2016, 02:53:08 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
But yea the injury thing scares me. Im really coming around to tatum. Kid looks like he could be a star.
Nah, the kid can score and he's got great size for his position. No way Danny takes him. ;)

Mike

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2016, 03:19:31 PM »

Offline Nef-Oracle

• Derrick White

Top shelf quality is good but when it means trading away multiple good players to make room for it, it's not that good. If the bpa to us fits a need it's okay but if he's don't fits a need & means we'll have to trade multiple good players away for almost nothing just to make place for him... a trade for multiple good players fitting a need is better. Spurs proved that you can't have too many good players.

« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2016, 03:26:00 PM »

Offline Nef-Oracle

• Derrick White
I see alot of Webber in Giles. Not the passing, but most other aspects appear to be there.

Would be good if he could have him sit a year to fully recover like Embiid. Dunno if we have the time tho. I like Isaac too, wish he was bigger. 😄

« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2016, 03:28:50 PM »

Offline Nef-Oracle

• Derrick White

Dunno, maybe depends on they said. It's risky still, you don't want to miss out in a draft like this. Might be good to look elsewhere : Markkannen, Isaac, Hartenstein can play the same role if they bulk up.

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2016, 03:31:47 PM »

Offline Nef-Oracle

• Derrick White

But I don't think Ainge would consider it working out with Giles if he manages 25 games in the first 2 1/3 years like Embiid has.

Have him sit to recover might be the best idea. But after that you don't know how it will work out. The Embiid experience is fun but we don't much time nor can't afford that with 4 FA this year.

« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2016, 03:37:53 PM »

Offline Nef-Oracle

• Derrick White
We are just entering the time of the season when talking about potential prospects is viable. Still way to early to talk draft positioning and potential trading of positions. Right now its safe assume rough draft position and noting else.

As for the basic idea of trading down. If we are talking moving down 1-3 spots to add value and a player the Cs view as an equal tier play to what available then I am fine with that. An example would be if on draft day the lottery looks like 1. Fultz 2. Ball 3. Tatum and the Cs rank all three as the same tier, have the 1st pick and love Tatum. Then a 1 for 3 and additional assets makes sense. Trading from the top tier of talent to a lower tier is never a good idea. In recent Cs history the Celtics drafted Rozier instead of Justin Anderson ( who at the time filled a roster need) because they had Rozier in the higher tier. This is smart drafting and what I expect for DA.

Rozier work ethic was far more superior to that of any other rookie that year. He was a good defender & was the Cardinal's leading scorer, he was an hard worker but slept on. Danny saw talent there that couldn't be ignored. TP to him.