Author Topic: Jayson Tatum (Merged)  (Read 53783 times)

Re: Jason Tatum (Merged)
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2017, 09:30:35 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
28 pts, 8 reb vs Virginia - 2/15/2017
https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=ow7kgjF9iF8

Prob his game of the year so far

Meh. Just got hot and hit a bunch of low percentage shot attempts that he will normally not hit.

I think Tatum has shown more in other games. More moves. Better shot selection. Whether with his driving or his mid post game. Against Virginia, a bad 3 point shooter just got hot. Had a lucky shooting night. Not that impressive.

« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2017, 09:33:27 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55

Meh. Just got hot and hit a bunch of low percentage shot attempts that he will normally not hit.

I think Tatum has shown more in other games. More moves. Better shot selection. Whether with his driving or his mid post game. Against Virginia, a bad 3 point shooter just got hot. Had a lucky shooting night. Not that impressive.

« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2017, 09:35:27 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Yes but he got hot and rode it

In the past he would pass up some shots he should not or needs to take over but again passed up the shot

Its good to see from time to time.. otherwise I agree with you

Tatum is in the 7-11 range for this upcoming draft imo

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2017, 09:35:54 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
His stroke and follow looked great ... he shot right in the face of his defender ... going 6 for 7 is not luck..

His game has been improving as the year goes on... I have a feeling he will light up the tournament

« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2017, 09:57:26 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
His stroke and follow looked great ... he shot right in the face of his defender ... going 6 for 7 is not luck..

His game has been improving as the year goes on... I have a feeling he will light up the tournament

He has a good frame, broad shoulders and if he can pack 15 more pounds of muscle, he could he a nice stretch 4 at the NBA level

« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2017, 10:24:43 AM »

Offline Denis998

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 388
  • Rutgers '17
I think Tatum is back in play for the #2 pick. He upped his 3pt% to 37%, which was like the major knock on his game at the start of the season.

« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2017, 10:28:26 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft

I agree with this, I like Tatum a lot, but when I watched the youtube highlights I was hoping for more drives and quality moves. What I saw was him hit a lot of contested 3's.

At least he did it against a good defense. Isn't UVA known for their defense?

I'm a big Tatum fan though, I think he could be a big time scorer in the NBA, but I don't think last game showed the best that he can do.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2017, 10:42:08 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Draft Express has made a new video of Tatum showing off his isolation skills.  They call him arguably the most polished isolation scorer in the upcoming draft.  It's worth a watch.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Jayson-Tatum---Iso-Machine-5806

« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2017, 11:24:57 AM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30

I agree with this, I like Tatum a lot, but when I watched the youtube highlights I was hoping for more drives and quality moves. What I saw was him hit a lot of contested 3's.

At least he did it against a good defense. Isn't UVA known for their defense?

I'm a big Tatum fan though, I think he could be a big time scorer in the NBA, but I don't think last game showed the best that he can do.

I think with each game you are just looking for signs of what a guy can do. They arent going to do the same thing in each game. Sometimes teams dictate what you can do based on your perceived weakness and he showed that he is capable of hitting the shot.

Tatum is a shot maker and not a shooter which Im totally fine with. Butler is a shot maker and not a shooter and many would give up a ton to get him. He like Brown would benefit from a team like Boston because they were by far used to doing everything for their respective teams in HS that their was a real adjustment period for both. Brown all of a sudden had alot less space and didnt play an open floor game. For Tatum he had other scorers on the team that could actually score which both he and Brown only dealt with when playing on Team USA.

Here is what I see. I see a guy in Tatum who tried to do everything while he teammates were also trying to to everything and it exposed the weaknesses of all the players at this team. Each were still effective but became really inefficient. As roles got defined, his efficiency and effectiveness went up because he didnt have to do as much to get his buckets but his skill level was still just as high which says to me if you put him on a team like Boston he can be effective and really grow and eventually have huge nights like the other night. 

« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2017, 11:26:50 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I think Tatum is back in play for the #2 pick. He upped his 3pt% to 37%, which was like the major knock on his game at the start of the season.

He is not going to end up the #2 pick

« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2017, 11:28:00 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Draft Express has made a new video of Tatum showing off his isolation skills.  They call him arguably the most polished isolation scorer in the upcoming draft.  It's worth a watch.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Jayson-Tatum---Iso-Machine-5806

Thanks for posting the video.  Really shows how his game should translate well into the NBA.

Reminds me of Pierce in his rhythm and foot work.  Not a bad comparison.

Wow, we are going to get a great player, no matter what. Tatum should be in the top 4 discussion.  Ahead of Isaacs.

« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2017, 02:09:44 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown

He is not going to end up the #2 pick

And that would be a good thing considering the production of #2 picks over the last 20 years. Almost every year people talk how close it is between the top 2 picks or how the 2nd pick is going to me some mega star. History has shown this not to be the case.

This year is similar to 2012 in which people talked about how MKG was such a winner and made winning plays. SO far I havent seen that translate.

Hell even in the 2008 draft the 2nd pick was the worst pick out of the top 5 so Im all good with getting the 2nd pick.

« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2017, 03:54:17 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Every game I have watched him he looks lost on D.   He can score but he is a one way player folks.

Likely a 3 as his lack of great foot speed limits his effectiveness off the dribble, and his size and shooting fits the 3 position ...
Lacks strength for physical play at higher levels but should add strength in time …

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/jayson-tatum

He won't be ready from day one.  I got the same feeling watching Dunn last year and he has been scary in terms of not living up to hype.   I correspondingly hope we don't draft him.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 03:59:32 PM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2017, 10:38:58 AM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
Every game I have watched him he looks lost on D.   He can score but he is a one way player folks.

Likely a 3 as his lack of great foot speed limits his effectiveness off the dribble, and his size and shooting fits the 3 position ...
Lacks strength for physical play at higher levels but should add strength in time …

http://www.nbadraft.net/players/jayson-tatum

He won't be ready from day one.  I got the same feeling watching Dunn last year and he has been scary in terms of not living up to hype.   I correspondingly hope we don't draft him.

A one way player based on what? He isnt a playmaker, yes like any player he misses defensive assignments but lets not pretend he doesnt rebound well, doesnt create more shots off the bounce for guys, plays the passing lanes well, and can block shots at a decent rate.

Which players are going to be ready day one? I can only count one Fultz. That's it. And who really cares about the hype. Jaylen had no hype and Ingram had a ton but look at what they both have produced so far.

The only guy that doesnt have very noticeable weaknesses is Fultz all the rest have sure fire question marks. Its a matter of if you want to recognize them or not.

« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2017, 12:34:57 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
It is incredible that Tatum is considered a worst case scenario pick for us. I like him a lot better than Jaylen Brown and see him as a Paul Pierce/Caron Butler type player.

JT would have gone in the top three in the past 7 drafts. This one is just particularly loaded.