Author Topic: Jayson Tatum (Merged)  (Read 54296 times)

Re: Jason Tatum (Merged)
« Reply #120 on: March 12, 2017, 03:17:47 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Colson was first-team All-ACC and Tatum was third-team.

Here is what Colson did:

Notre Dame’s Colson leads all ACC players with 18 double-doubles this season, including 10 in conference play. The 6-foot-5 junior from New Bedford, Massachusetts, leads the league in rebounding at 10.4 per game and is the 10th leading scorer at 17.0 points per game. In leading the Fighting Irish to a 23-8 overall mark and a No. 3 ACC Tournament seed, Colson has posted seven 20-point, 10-rebound performances this year. All seven of those performances have come against Power 5 conference teams, including four ACC opponents.

http://www.theacc.com/news/acc-announces-all-conference-team-postseason-awards-03-05-2017

Colson was clearly the better player in the game last night.

Does he have the best NBA up-side?  No!!  But, I don't think Tatum is a great athlete even at the college level and that will be multiplied at the NBA level!!

Smitty77
Pierce wasn't a great athlete either.  Tatum is certainly a good enough athlete, especially since he'll be playing PF quite a bit.  He's got a good overall skillset and doesn't rely on his athleticism.  He's also stepped up to be a key cog on a very loaded Duke team.

That block/rebound/full court dribble/finish sequence in the last minute looked pretty f****** athletic to me.

Who was the block against?  Wow, a 6' 8" player that can dunk on an OPEN breakaway:-))  Truly impressive.  He is NOT a great athlete, irregardless what a one minute segment might tell you.

Smitty77

So we should downgrade him because he isnt Jaylen Brown athletic?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCbIjcHgI6s
hes no Jaylen Brown but he looked pretty athletic last night.

Tatum has been #2 on my board since early Jan. I think on lower levels he shared some of the same issues Jaylen did but works really hard on his game which I think if you bring him here he could give you what Jaylen is giving you now.
I had him behind Jackson all year, but with Jacksons off court stuff and Tatum playing really well down the stretch(and being younger and having more potential to play PF) I think they are a tossup now.

Id go Fultz Tatum/Jackson Ball

So yeah, Ill be dissapointed if we get Lonzo Ball. We are ridiculously spoiled.

Im not going to count Jackson's driving issues against him. I also have no problem with people putting Jackson ahead of Tatum. When the two have matched up against each other, Jackson has always been the more aggressive player with defense that has bothered Tatum.
I love Jackson. I have him #2, but there is a lot more to be worried about other than his driving ability.

He kicked the Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. out of someone car and he wasnt suspended for poor driving.

I get not putting much weight into the off court stuff, but you have to count it against him.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #121 on: March 12, 2017, 03:55:49 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I love both Players. Jackson's off court crazyness concerns me much more than Balls father.

« Reply #122 on: March 12, 2017, 04:30:50 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30

Here is what Colson did:

Notre Dame’s Colson leads all ACC players with 18 double-doubles this season, including 10 in conference play. The 6-foot-5 junior from New Bedford, Massachusetts, leads the league in rebounding at 10.4 per game and is the 10th leading scorer at 17.0 points per game. In leading the Fighting Irish to a 23-8 overall mark and a No. 3 ACC Tournament seed, Colson has posted seven 20-point, 10-rebound performances this year. All seven of those performances have come against Power 5 conference teams, including four ACC opponents.

http://www.theacc.com/news/acc-announces-all-conference-team-postseason-awards-03-05-2017

Does he have the best NBA up-side?  No!!  But, I don't think Tatum is a great athlete even at the college level and that will be multiplied at the NBA level!!

Smitty77
Pierce wasn't a great athlete either.  Tatum is certainly a good enough athlete, especially since he'll be playing PF quite a bit.  He's got a good overall skillset and doesn't rely on his athleticism.  He's also stepped up to be a key cog on a very loaded Duke team.

That block/rebound/full court dribble/finish sequence in the last minute looked pretty f****** athletic to me.

Who was the block against?  Wow, a 6' 8" player that can dunk on an OPEN breakaway:-))  Truly impressive.  He is NOT a great athlete, irregardless what a one minute segment might tell you.

Smitty77

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCbIjcHgI6s
hes no Jaylen Brown but he looked pretty athletic last night.

Tatum has been #2 on my board since early Jan. I think on lower levels he shared some of the same issues Jaylen did but works really hard on his game which I think if you bring him here he could give you what Jaylen is giving you now.
I had him behind Jackson all year, but with Jacksons off court stuff and Tatum playing really well down the stretch(and being younger and having more potential to play PF) I think they are a tossup now.

Id go Fultz Tatum/Jackson Ball

So yeah, Ill be dissapointed if we get Lonzo Ball. We are ridiculously spoiled.

Im not going to count Jackson's driving issues against him. I also have no problem with people putting Jackson ahead of Tatum. When the two have matched up against each other, Jackson has always been the more aggressive player with defense that has bothered Tatum.
I love Jackson. I have him #2, but there is a lot more to be worried about other than his driving ability.

He kicked the **** out of someone car and he wasnt suspended for poor driving.

I get not putting much weight into the off court stuff, but you have to count it against him.

I guess I should say the things that i have read (I havent read about the incident you mentioned) Im not putting too much weight into it. There are on court things that I give pause to but overall I think he is a very good prospect.

« Reply #123 on: March 12, 2017, 06:03:10 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

Here is what Colson did:

Smitty77

Smitty77

Ok, so what does that make Isaac? He got 5 points and lost to Notre Dame, Tatum scored 19 and led his team to the title. Isaac wasn't even good enough to score 19 in 2 games. Tatum > Isaac, now and forever.

Even I, perhaps the BIGGEST Isaac supporter, would put him below Tatum now after Jonathan seemingly hit the wall about 10 to 12 games ago.  I still say that Isaac has a bigger up side and that Tatum will likely be a disappointing pick for whoever takes him in the top 5.

Smitty77

« Reply #124 on: March 12, 2017, 06:04:44 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269

Here is what Colson did:

Smitty77

Smitty77

Most teams in the top 5 draft for up side.  We are in an unusual situation in that our window is limited and we might need to take the player most ready to contribute now.

Smitty77

« Reply #125 on: March 12, 2017, 06:13:55 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Tatum is a tad too slow for my taste

He is adequate defender at the ncaa level but looks like will have trouble staying in front of quicker players/guards

half the year was just so passive... but finished well (MM tourney TBD)

Josh Jackson is a better prospect imo.... better all around stats, except FT percentage

« Reply #126 on: March 12, 2017, 08:01:46 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown

Here is what Colson did:

Smitty77

Smitty77

Ok, so what does that make Isaac? He got 5 points and lost to Notre Dame, Tatum scored 19 and led his team to the title. Isaac wasn't even good enough to score 19 in 2 games. Tatum > Isaac, now and forever.

Even I, perhaps the BIGGEST Isaac supporter, would put him below Tatum now after Jonathan seemingly hit the wall about 10 to 12 games ago.  I still say that Isaac has a bigger up side and that Tatum will likely be a disappointing pick for whoever takes him in the top 5.

Smitty77

I dont see the great appeal of Isaac. Good defender but doesnt show enough to say he will be anything more than a role player. Doesnt create that well for himself and certainly not for others. Very passive. To say people will be disappointed with Tatum if he goes top 5 is rather interesting because people have a much better idea of what they are getting with him than Isaac.

And our window isnt small. Its barely open. You take the best possible player with the pick if you keep it. Riding IT can only take you so far. Im not willing to say that we have an open window that we must do something now.

« Reply #127 on: March 12, 2017, 08:03:47 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown

He is adequate defender at the ncaa level but looks like will have trouble staying in front of quicker players/guards

Josh Jackson is a better prospect imo.... better all around stats, except FT percentage

At what point was Tatum passive? Thats totally made up.

« Reply #128 on: March 12, 2017, 08:05:03 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

look at his game blogs
look a his many 1st half no shows

and these were against mediocre teams

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/4065648/jayson-tatum
between Sat 12/31 and 2/5/2017

« Reply #129 on: March 12, 2017, 08:11:25 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Tatum poor pick n roll defense...and this is not the one time this happene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1vwEar0WjA

« Reply #130 on: March 12, 2017, 08:11:28 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

look at his game blogs

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/gamelog/_/id/4065648/jayson-tatum
he scored double figures in all but 3 games this season.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #131 on: March 12, 2017, 08:17:26 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

look at his game blogs

yes, but how many games did Duke lose this season?

I'm being a little critical here,....but compare Tatum to Jackson...and Jackson is the more complete player, more explosive and helped his team pretty much lock up the best record

« Reply #132 on: March 12, 2017, 08:23:26 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

look at his game blogs

yes, but how many games did Duke lose this season?

I'm being a little critical here,....but compare Tatum to Jackson...and Jackson is the more complete player, more explosive and helped his team pretty much lock up the best record

In the stretch you highlight?
4 times.

scored 18 in a loss to virginia Tech
scored 21 in a loss to FSU
scored 11 in a loss to Louisville
scored 16 (9 boards) in a loss to NC state

average of 16.5 points per game.

I also prefer Jackson, but lets not forget, Duke had their coach out for a while, had that disastrous situation with Grayson Allen, had half their team injured, they play in the toughest conference in college and when Josh Jackson was busy getting himself suspended, Tatum dominated the ACC tournament beating Louisville(2 seed) UNC(1 seed) and Notre Dame(5 seed) on consecutive days.

plus Tatum is a year younger.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 08:29:52 PM by Ilikesports17 »

« Reply #133 on: March 12, 2017, 09:00:53 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Triboy I agree with you that Jackson a better pro prospect but you lose credibility when you try to make this point by disparaging Tatum's athleticism and stats. Tatum should be a very good pro.

« Reply #134 on: March 12, 2017, 09:52:34 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Tatum is a very very good prospect.

If he ended up the best pro in this draft, I would not be shocked.

He can shoot, create his own offense, rebound-all at an above average rate.