Author Topic: Celtics (12-9) at Magic (10-12) Game #22 12/7/16  (Read 34305 times)

Re: Celtics (12-9) at Magic (10-12) Game #22 12/7/16
« Reply #345 on: December 07, 2016, 11:53:39 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Smart and Brown need to play a lot like this more often
fixed it for you

they will if they can get some minutes .

They'll get minutes if they keep playing like this.  Rozier too.  (Not sure why Smart's in this post, he's getting plenty of minutes).

« Reply #346 on: December 08, 2016, 12:06:00 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I'm not getting in on the starter convo. I do want to call into question the people who keep saying, "it's just the Magic" as if we haven't been BLOWN OUT by some of the worst teams in the league! Mage are excellent defensively and they had no answer to stop us!

The only thing that held it close early was because of the mistake made by CBS to put AB on Gordon and Jae on Fournier. They switched it in the 2nd half, AB shut Fournier down and Gordon wasn't heard from again, it was over from there! Defense swallowed them up and our offense made a very good D look foolish!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #347 on: December 08, 2016, 12:19:52 AM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
I'm not getting in on the starter convo. I do want to call into question the people who keep saying, "it's just the Magic" as if we haven't been BLOWN OUT by some of the worst teams in the league! Mage are excellent defensively and they had no answer to stop us!

The only thing that held it close early was because of the mistake made by CBS to put AB on Gordon and Jae on Fournier. They switched it in the 2nd half, AB shut Fournier down and Gordon wasn't heard from again, it was over from there! Defense swallowed them up and our offense made a very good D look foolish!

And they did it without Isaiah Thomas, their best scorer.

« Reply #348 on: December 08, 2016, 01:04:10 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 238
I don't think most people here are in any position to call others into question.

The fact is IT is our guy.

Many people saw Marcus as our starter years ago but were laughed at.  He's still only 22 years old.

I've never been a huge fan of scoring pg's myself because they take the ball out of other guys hands but as it stands IT still serves a big purpose here.

I trust Stevens and Ainge see these things and realize Marcus is still a young player. In college he was the guy.  He gets the ball in his hands obviously he is going to be more comfortable.  His offense is still erratic though.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 01:10:39 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #349 on: December 08, 2016, 01:13:03 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
I know how I envision Marcus and he's definately capable of being the leader of this team, but he's one of them right now.  As a defensive pg he sets the tone and all of that.  We have a lot of guys on this team as it stands it isn't just one guy.

Peopel thought i was crazy a couple weeks ago for even thinking of offering IT for Noel and Okafor and starting Smart.

Ultimately it's a process.  Nothing is set in stone.

When Marcus was drafted I was laughed at for putting him up with other guys even before the draft.  He was the guy I wanted.   We had rondo at the tiem and I saw him as a potential pg of the future but more as just a basketball player.  he was a volume scorer in college but had the potential to be a true pg.

I think we could start smart right now and he'd be fine.  People have wanted to trade him.  I've said no. That if he starts on another team he'd put up numbers and we'd regret it.

Which one is it?

Smart has been my binkie etc etc.  Actually I like all the guys on our team and want them to succeed.  Even IT.  We have all of them.   It's not like it has to be one or the other right now.

« Reply #350 on: December 08, 2016, 01:17:54 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
The media is a little slow on the uptake sometimes doesn't even respect the team or people around them.  I do.  Some people don't though. Phony kindness. Assumptions are a funny thing.

I listen quite a bit and have seen some pretty horrid things on the internet people say and do.  If you want to question someone question yourselves.

« Reply #351 on: December 08, 2016, 01:20:34 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I love Smart but he is getting too much hype this game. I felt he played like pre-2016 injury (start of this season when he shot well). His offense is still lacking overall. This was a solid game to build on. I know Vogs kind of credited Smart, AB and Crowder as well for being too much of a tough match up for them. Still IT would have also been dominant. Magic have no identity yet due to the new additions and changing roles. Let's chalk this up to that more so than IT being out.

« Reply #352 on: December 08, 2016, 01:23:04 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
IT is a fine player.  I'm sure he loves some of the stuff people are saying about him right now.  Don't mess with the little  guy.  Why can't we have all these guys?  Eventually marcus may start but we have IT right now.

IT, Bradley, Smart, Rozier that's a pretty great backcourt imo.

Marcus got the start tonight.  IT if anything deserves credit for that.  I'm sure IT wanted to play.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 01:28:25 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #353 on: December 08, 2016, 01:29:08 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
IT is a warrior. He had played in 103 consecutive games before tonight. The last time he missed a game was 2 years ago.

I think scorers are sometimes overrated.  IT is not though.  He's second in the east in scoring right now. 

Marcus brings different things and we are good with him too.  We go on runs with him in the lineup as well. IT when he got here we did the same though. 

Both are very good players.

« Reply #354 on: December 08, 2016, 01:38:43 AM »

Offline walker834

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
IT doing Philly in just 5 days ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc7trRgyzGs&t=115s

I'll take both until I hear otherwise. I would not trade Marcus.  he's 22 years old.   Isaiah maybe someday.

Tiny Archibald and DJ.   Marcus to me has many years ahead of him.  How terriible would it be if we trade one and the other gets hurt though.

We have both at the same t ime right now.  Marcus can still improve in areas imo. Same with Jaylen.  We could trade Crowder some day as well.

Right now we have all of them.  No need to play one vs the other.

What's worse is when people act like Isaiah or Marcus suck or something.  To prove some agenda. 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 01:46:45 AM by walker834 »

« Reply #355 on: December 08, 2016, 03:39:52 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Too bad I missed the second half

This must have been fun

« Reply #356 on: December 08, 2016, 04:20:36 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Too bad I missed the second half

This must have been fun

Especially nice was how the youngsters Brown and Rozier played. Brown has sucked recently, so it was nice to see his potential again. Rozier continues his impressive improvement. Not difficult to see him as a starter in the league soon enough.

Now 9-3 with Horford in the lineup, 4-6 without. +4.5 MOV with Horford (8th best, 3rd in the East) vs -0.8 without (15th best). With him we're still only a pretender, but that's a decent step up from last season even with the loss of Sullinger's rebounding and Turner's ability to create points on the second unit.

« Reply #357 on: December 08, 2016, 04:34:41 AM »

Offline LGC88

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 167
Glad to see Celtics basketball again. This team is on the right path. The rockets game was great too. It's the 2nd game we are locked in defensively and move the ball offensively.
I like to see everybody rebound (lol we out rebound Ibaka and Biyombo).
Ball movement makes defense collapse. Who would have thought we'll score so much points in the paint.
Finally, great to see Jaylen confidence back, and another great game from Rozier.

« Reply #358 on: December 08, 2016, 07:07:58 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Not sure who is to blame, but Aaron Gordon has no idea who he is as a basketball player.
I said it earlier, he has no offensive game whatsoever, can't even hit free throws. It is silly how much of a better player Marcus is than him.

Wouldn't say that because they are averaging about the same ppg, so what does that mean for Smart? If anything Gordon is a PF being forced to play out of position because a lack of PF depth. Defensively Smart is clearly better, but beyond that it's a lot closer than you would think
OK go on...
Percentage-wise Smart is worse than Gordon besides in Freethrows which is scary. The only thing on offense that Smart has on Gordon is Assists, but as a guard compared to a big that's expected. Gordon has better FG% and 3P%, PPG by .1 more points, and more RPG. Just telling you the stats. This is also with Gordon out of position too

I wouldn't trade Smart straight up for Gordon.

Why? We need rebounding, Gordon brings the ability to defend off pick and rolls/the wing, he brings immense athleticism, and also brings positional versatility. Statistically there are few measures that paint him as a worse player than Smart. When Gordon was playing big man for the Magic all he brought was athleticism and energy the same thing that Marcus does. The only difference is that Gordon brings it at a position of need
Don't know why we wouldn't at least consider it
By the way I never said that I would trade him, but I can't lie to you and say I wasn't thinking it
Did you watch the game?  There is no doubt that Smart was a big positive for the Celtics, while Gordon looked like he couldn't do anything right.  AG is so bad on offense, really looked terrible, missed two free throws in a row too (very rare for NBA players not named Drummond or D.Jordan).  He had a layup blocked.  Now Smart is not a great scorer by any means, but he is not that bad.  Based on this one game (big caveat I admit), I would not make that trade.