Author Topic: Celtics (12-9) at Magic (10-12) Game #22 12/7/16  (Read 34433 times)

Re: Celtics (12-9) at Magic (10-12) Game #22 12/7/16
« Reply #330 on: December 07, 2016, 09:49:59 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
Not sure who is to blame, but Aaron Gordon has no idea who he is as a basketball player.
I said it earlier, he has no offensive game whatsoever, can't even hit free throws. It is silly how much of a better player Marcus is than him.

Wouldn't say that because they are averaging about the same ppg, so what does that mean for Smart? If anything Gordon is a PF being forced to play out of position because a lack of PF depth. Defensively Smart is clearly better, but beyond that it's a lot closer than you would think
OK go on...
Percentage-wise Smart is worse than Gordon besides in Freethrows which is scary. The only thing on offense that Smart has on Gordon is Assists, but as a guard compared to a big that's expected. Gordon has better FG% and 3P%, PPG by .1 more points, and more RPG. Just telling you the stats. This is also with Gordon out of position too

« Reply #331 on: December 07, 2016, 09:53:44 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Not sure who is to blame, but Aaron Gordon has no idea who he is as a basketball player.
I said it earlier, he has no offensive game whatsoever, can't even hit free throws. It is silly how much of a better player Marcus is than him.

Wouldn't say that because they are averaging about the same ppg, so what does that mean for Smart? If anything Gordon is a PF being forced to play out of position because a lack of PF depth. Defensively Smart is clearly better, but beyond that it's a lot closer than you would think
OK go on...
Percentage-wise Smart is worse than Gordon besides in Freethrows which is scary. The only thing on offense that Smart has on Gordon is Assists, but as a guard compared to a big that's expected. Gordon has better FG% and 3P%, PPG by .1 more points, and more RPG. Just telling you the stats. This is also with Gordon out of position too
Fair. however, lets not pretend Smart isnt playing out of position. Hes had to a lot of play SF with Jaes injury and our complete lack of SF depth.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #332 on: December 07, 2016, 09:57:26 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney

OK go on...
Fair. however, lets not pretend Smart isnt playing out of position. Hes had to a lot of play SF with Jaes injury and our complete lack of SF depth.
For like 2-3 games. Gordon has been playing SF the entire season. Anyways how would playing SF affect his 3P% or numbers in general? If anything Smart should have been able to get around slower SF and shot a better percentage from the field and struggled more defensively. Being a PF playing at SF without a legitimate ability to stretch the floor should in theory affect his % and numbers a lot more than Smart would be being a wing player that has to just switch over to guard 3s practically.

« Reply #333 on: December 07, 2016, 10:02:31 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150

OK go on...

I wouldn't trade Smart straight up for Gordon.

« Reply #334 on: December 07, 2016, 10:03:38 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
 Missed the game!!

Can someone fill me in?
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #335 on: December 07, 2016, 10:07:39 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Missed the game!!

Can someone fill me in?

Defense was fantastic, every Celtic was in double digits, Smart is better than IT,  J. Brown is the best player on the team, A. Gordon is a lost cause, and Rozier is smoother than Shaft.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #336 on: December 07, 2016, 10:09:13 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Missed the game!!

Can someone fill me in?

Defense was fantastic, everyone was in double digits (even D Jax), Smart is better than IT,  J. Brown is the best player on the team, A. Gordon is a lost cause, and Rozier is smoother than Shaft.
haha

TP, my friend!
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #337 on: December 07, 2016, 10:10:27 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney

OK go on...

I wouldn't trade Smart straight up for Gordon.

Why? We need rebounding, Gordon brings the ability to defend off pick and rolls/the wing, he brings immense athleticism, and also brings positional versatility. Statistically there are few measures that paint him as a worse player than Smart. When Gordon was playing big man for the Magic all he brought was athleticism and energy the same thing that Marcus does. The only difference is that Gordon brings it at a position of need
Don't know why we wouldn't at least consider it
By the way I never said that I would trade him, but I can't lie to you and say I wasn't thinking it

« Reply #338 on: December 07, 2016, 10:10:38 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Missed the game!!

Can someone fill me in?

Defense was fantastic, everyone was in double digits (even D Jax), Smart is better than IT,  J. Brown is the best player on the team, A. Gordon is a lost cause, and Rozier is smoother than Shaft.
haha

TP, my friend!

Back at ya.  It was honestly a great win.  They rallied in the 3rd with some intensity and never looked back.  Solid team effort, every one really looked locked in.  May have been a blessing in disguise to have IT out for the night.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #339 on: December 07, 2016, 10:10:40 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
Missed the game!!

Can someone fill me in?

Defense was fantastic, every Celtic was in double digits, Smart is better than IT,  J. Brown is the best player on the team, A. Gordon is a lost cause, and Rozier is smoother than Shaft.

TP

« Reply #340 on: December 07, 2016, 10:10:57 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
Missed the game!!

Can someone fill me in?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

« Reply #341 on: December 07, 2016, 10:33:34 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Smart and Brown need to play a lot like this more often
fixed it for you

they will if they can get some minutes .

They looked a lot better not just sitting in the corner wondering if it4 will pass them the ball.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #342 on: December 07, 2016, 10:37:19 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
fixed it for you

They looked a lot better not just sitting in the corner wondering if it4 will pass them the ball.
very, very true.

offense looked a lot better with better player and ball movement.  players standing in the corner waiting to shoot a 3 is not my idea of good offense  (or good to watch offense) particularly when both of these guys should be driving the lane or cutting through the lane for a pass to do something in the paint

« Reply #343 on: December 07, 2016, 10:42:18 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
fixed it for you

very, very true.

offense looked a lot better with better player and ball movement.  players standing in the corner waiting to shoot a 3 is not my idea of good offense  (or good to watch offense) particularly when both of these guys should be driving the lane or cutting through the lane for a pass to do something in the paint

Especially since neither are great 3 point shooters.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #344 on: December 07, 2016, 11:00:06 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
So, had to watch the game late and just got done. Here's my observations:

1) That was some of the best, most unselfish offense I've seen the Celtics play, against a top 5 defense nonetheless. Both Smart and Rozier ran the offense beautifully, and you didn't have the characteristic lulls, forced possessions, and occasional bad decision-making that you get with IT at times. Rozier at times gets caught up in overdribbling, but overall he was excellent.

2) Smart's offense is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better and more efficient when he has the ball. He looks to run the offense and get the ball moving rather than his own shot. He was a super efficient 5-7 with 13 points and only TWO THREE POINT ATTEMPTS. When will Brad realize that he simply can't play him as a spot-up shooter off the ball? Has anyone else noticed that most of his makes from midrange or behind the arc are off the dribble? He struggles off the catch. When Smart is in there, you have to have him handling the ball in some manner, especially in pick and rolls.

3) The defense and rebounding were both excellent throughout the game. It was nice to not have to worry about IT's defensive woes and lack of height for once. Even Rozier and Brown looked excellent defensively.

This was just a great win against a solid opponent without IT.

The more this season goes on, though, the less I think IT has a future with us for his next contract. He's an outstanding individual offensive player, but time and time again our offense is so much more dynamic without his overdribbling, forced possessions, and bad decision-making at times.

If we'd go with Smart or Rozier as our future point guard next year, we'd definitely need another big-time scorer like Cousins or George or something. And we'd certainly miss IT's individual offense at times, but I think we're ultimately better off long-term with a different starting point guard. I'd love to have him as our sixth man, but I just hate his style of play and the defensive deficiencies he brings to our team.