Author Topic: Red Sox Get Sale  (Read 24948 times)

Re: Red Sox Get Sale
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2016, 07:45:21 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Don't sleep on Pomeranz. He was clearly fatigued and didn't transition to Boston well, but he still ended the year with a 3.32 ERA and 10Ks per 9 innings. If he comes back with an ERA in the high 3s that would be a real nice #4/#5. How he got here is irrelevant.
Wright Erod Pomeranz Bucholz are all so hard to judge.

So inconsistent. All have flashed lights out stuff and none can be trusted.

I don't know, I think Buccholz is what he is - talented but weak-minded and injury-prone. I have zero faith in him. Might have better luck in a smaller-market NL team (Pitt, Washington, Arizona?).

Wright is a 32 year-old knuckleballer who has shown very little, only 4 years MLB experience... He's a nice backup, but I'm not going to rely on him.

E-rod has been very good the last couple years, aside from his first 6 starts last year where he was coming off injury and his stuff was clearly affected. IMO when healthy he is electric, and can throw it past people. You can't teach that. Gotta keep him.

Pomeranz is also talented. Nice stuff, just needs to refine it a bit. He's older than I thought at 28... But he could be a late bloomer with his stuff.

Problem is both Pomeranz and E-rod are lefties. Makes it harder to keep both, though they are both an excellent insurance policy, and would also make great long relievers.

Ultimately IMO talent is more important than lefty/righty though.

« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2016, 08:07:12 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Don't sleep on Pomeranz. He was clearly fatigued and didn't transition to Boston well, but he still ended the year with a 3.32 ERA and 10Ks per 9 innings. If he comes back with an ERA in the high 3s that would be a real nice #4/#5. How he got here is irrelevant.
Wright Erod Pomeranz Bucholz are all so hard to judge.

So inconsistent. All have flashed lights out stuff and none can be trusted.

I don't know, I think Buccholz is what he is - talented but weak-minded and injury-prone. I have zero faith in him. Might have better luck in a smaller-market NL team (Pitt, Washington, Arizona?).

Wright is a 32 year-old knuckleballer who has shown very little, only 4 years MLB experience... He's a nice backup, but I'm not going to rely on him.

E-rod has been very good the last couple years, aside from his first 6 starts last year where he was coming off injury and his stuff was clearly affected. IMO when healthy he is electric, and can throw it past people. You can't teach that. Gotta keep him.

Pomeranz is also talented. Nice stuff, just needs to refine it a bit. He's older than I thought at 28... But he could be a late bloomer with his stuff.

Problem is both Pomeranz and E-rod are lefties. Makes it harder to keep both, though they are both an excellent insurance policy, and would also make great long relievers.

Ultimately IMO talent is more important than lefty/righty though.
Pomeranz has had 1 good half season as a starter in his career. Wright had a more impressive half season last year, but hes a knuckleballer. E-Rod seems sure to make the rotation, but hes had issues with injuries and getting crushed too. Then Clay makes sense to go, but at his best Bucholz is better than any of the other guys.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #47 on: December 20, 2016, 11:35:41 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
... aaaaand Buchholz goes to the Phillies for a minor league infielder with the Red Sox off the hook for his entire salary. Good deal.

Who do you have in the pen now, Wright, Pomeranz or Rodriguez?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #48 on: December 20, 2016, 12:30:32 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
... aaaaand Buchholz goes to the Phillies for a minor league infielder with the Red Sox off the hook for his entire salary. Good deal.

Wright has to be in the rotation, there's no way we can have 4 lefties.  And between ERod and Pomeranz, I'd guess that ERod will earn the staring job in spring training
I'm bitter.

« Reply #49 on: December 20, 2016, 12:38:18 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

rodriguez will start, too much youth and potential not to do so.

that fills up 4 out of the 5 spots. it is a toss up between pomeranz and wright it seems. i favor wright based upon his track record as a starter, and pomeranz' record as a reliever.

spring training will be competitive i am sure.

as for tobias, the newest sox in from Philliesminorthoughts.com when he was drafted with BA predraft report below. he looks like filler to me:

Tobias was drafted in the 31st round by the Nationals in 2011 when he was coming out of a North Carolina high school, but went on to Florida, where he was named to the SEC All-Freshman team the next year. He battled injuries and wasn’t as consistent in the next two seasons, going undrafted last year.

He’s bounced back in 2015 and has become one of the best seniors in the country. Tobias has returned to switch-hitting this season to great success. He led the Gators in several offensive categories in the regular season, including batting average (.366) and OPS (1.004). He has a contact-oriented approach and makes the most of his average speed. Tobias isn’t the smoothest defender at third base, but has gotten the job done and nearly went the whole season without making an error.

He’s moved around the infield some during his career and provides good versatility. His best other spot is second base and he has some similarities to Josh Harrison. Tobias doesn’t have the loudest tools, but he’ll provide a team good value in this year’s draft as an offensive infielder.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #50 on: December 20, 2016, 01:31:45 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324

I was thinking Wright, but one of my friends just mentioned that knuckleballers usually have a different catcher, so bringing a knuckleballer from the pen could present issues with catching.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis