Author Topic: Red Sox Get Sale  (Read 24951 times)

Red Sox Get Sale
« on: December 06, 2016, 01:46:33 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
The Sox just traded for Sale.

Let's hope this Sale isn't as costly as the Price they paid last winter. Bad joke, I know ...  ;D
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

Re: Red Sox Get Sale
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 01:49:09 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
Oh wow!!!

I like this. I like this a lot.

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 01:49:31 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Sale. Porcello.  Price. 

That's pretty solid.  Plus, you're getting one of the best contracts in baseball.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 01:50:49 PM »

• Satch Sanders
Sale. Porcello.  Price. 

That's pretty solid.  Plus, you're getting one of the best contracts in baseball.

Well, a lot of us thought Price-Porcello-Rodriguez would be solid, and look at how that turned out. Here's hoping to something better.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 01:51:58 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Sale. Porcello.  Price. 

Well, a lot of us thought Price-Porcello-Rodriguez would be solid, and look at how that turned out. Here's hoping to something better.

Sale is in an absolutely different stratosphere as Rodriguez.   He is a legit ace and anchor. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 01:56:15 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Losing moncado hurts a bit

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 02:00:26 PM »

• Satch Sanders
Losing moncado hurts a bit

A bit, though he's still only a prospect, whereas Sale is a proven commodity. The aspect of this trade—along with the Shaw trade—that I dislike is that the Sox are basically handing the starting 3B job to a guy who last year showed up very overweight and played terribly, and as of now has zero competition.

Sale. Porcello.  Price. 

Sale is in an absolutely different stratosphere as Rodriguez.   He is a legit ace and anchor. 

You're absolutely right. I wasn't trying to directly compare those two, but making the point that last year we all thought about Price what we're all probably thinking right now about Sale, and look at the struggles Price went through. Hopefully Price improves and Sale doesn't have those struggles.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 02:27:46 PM by rocknrollforyoursoul »

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 02:09:25 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Could we get any value for Drew Pomeranz? That would be swell.

Mike

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 02:15:20 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Say what you want about them, but this current regime takes action. Now they need to find a legit replacement for Big Papi.

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 02:18:09 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
reactions and analyses here:

http://sonsofsamhorn.net/index.php?threads/chris-sale-to-boston-for-moncada-kopech-2-prospects.16930/page-4

big win for the sox. Sale is great and has been great for 5 years. last 5 years has been an all star each year. finished top 6 in the cy young award race.

giving up moncada hurts, but who knows if he will ever hit the major league curve ball? (30% K rate, ouch.)

kopech might be great, might be a reliever, might be nothing. really hard to judge from AA.

diaz and basabe are lottery tickets, toss in players.

the sox look good for the next 3-4 years. lots of young talent and all signed.

As of now, the top prospects (per Soxprospects) left in the Sox system are:
Devers
Groome
Travis
Johnson
Dalbec
Chatham
Ockimey

A lot thinner than it was, but there are still a few good prospects. And for me, the point of the minor league has always been to provide talent for the major league club - either through promoting good talent or enabling trades for it.

I did not include Benentendi or Hernandez since they are already in Boston.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 02:24:00 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Picking up Buchholz's option suddenly looks even worse.

Moncada and Kopech is a pretty good haul, though. Wonder whether we'll have another Anthony Rizzo situation here.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 02:24:31 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Finally.

Between Sale, Price, and Porcello, the Sox should be able to get a quality start in the playoffs.

Big question now is: how do they replace Ortiz?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 02:26:32 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Picking up Buchholz's option suddenly looks even worse.

Moncada and Kopech is a pretty good haul, though. Wonder whether we'll have another Anthony Rizzo situation here.
in the context of the talent of this team and its wallet, buchholz is not a major problem. they can always trade him. starting pitchers are always in demand. or convert him to long reliever.

and dont forget, Sale is getting paid around $12,000,000 a year for three years. very very reasonable contract.

moncada's future is the key. but you need to give up talent to get talent...unless you are ainge. :)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2016, 02:26:44 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Finally.

Between Sale, Price, and Porcello, the Sox should be able to get a quality start in the playoffs.

I would imagine they have to ante up and sign Encarnacion or else all this pitching is wasted.

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2016, 02:27:28 PM »

Offline TrueFan

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 79
Finally.

Ortiz will never be replaceable but we still have a ton of good bats in the lineup.