Author Topic: I'm finally on board.. Thomas should come off the bench  (Read 18308 times)

Re: I'm finally on board.. Thomas should come off the bench
« Reply #120 on: December 08, 2016, 09:11:46 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
I understand that people love Thomas, like I keep saying I am a fan also.
But somehow people twisted my OP from saying he should come off the bench to we should get rid of him.I think we should keep him, of course until he demands max money and a long term contract, then he can take a hike..

All I said was he should come off the bench, create that spark that gives second units fits. Didn't mean to insult the "little guy" or the fanboys of him around here.

I think everyone can agree we looked fantastic last night without him and our team played overall better basketball without him on the court.
Yes it was Orlando, but seeing our rebounding, overall balance, defense, and points in the paint were all up, something has to be said.

Even Horford stated this was best "team" game he has seen so far this year

Lets see what happens vs the raptors though... IT wont play next until celts comeback home...which is sun vs okc

Raptors are at home tomorrow.

« Reply #121 on: December 08, 2016, 12:01:44 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Question. How many 1sts is IT worth in the trade market?

Better question: who would be willing to give up assets for him, even remotely think about it?

Sac (maaybe)
Knicks?
Dallas?

Denver = Would the Nuggets trade for IT? They were playing Mudiay at SG for awhile alongside Jameer Nelson at PG. Mudiay is back at PG now but his minutes have dropped to 20mpg over last 3 games. Would Denver be interested? Would they trade Jokic for IT?

Dallas = Surely they would but the only asset they have is their 2017 lotto pick.

Orlando = IT for A.Gordon? Or IT for Ibaka? Could you get Hezonja + Ibaka? Or Ibaka/Gordon + 2017 pick (late lotto)? Surely you could get Vucevic or Biyombo but I am not interested in trading IT for them.

Milwaukee = IT for Middleton or Jabari Parker? Probably not interested in someone who needs the ball as much as IT alongside Giannis. Long shot.

Miami = IT for Whiteside? IT for their 2016 pick? Maybe their 2016 pick + Winslow?

Atlanta = IT for Millsap? If worried Millsap will not resign with them. Or Dwight?

New Orleans = IT for their 2017 pick? Their 2017 pick + Hield?

Minnesota = IT for Zach LaVine?

Utah = IT for Favors?

IT could be a big piece in part of a larger trade for Cousins, Paul George or Jimmy Butler.
One game does not mean Trade IT it shows we are a different team without him. In the Playoffs a team needs two go to scorers we have 1 in in IT. Holford missed a layup do we really want him to take that shot?
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #122 on: December 08, 2016, 04:08:11 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Naaah, IT when healthy is still our best option at the #1.  We'll consider our options when IT's contract is coming up but until then, there's nobody else on this team that can take over a game like IT.

Very nice win against Orlando, this gives our backup points time to grow and get their feet wet but IT is still da man.

« Reply #123 on: December 08, 2016, 04:42:58 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I think we are a better TEAM when IT is not on the floor.  He is our best player, but the team doesn't function as well.

« Reply #124 on: December 08, 2016, 05:11:03 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
In theory Thomas being a super sub makes sense, but in practice and especially with this time that is pretty laughable.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #125 on: December 08, 2016, 05:30:50 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I think we are a better TEAM when IT is not on the floor.  He is our best player, but the team doesn't function as well.

I agree

IT could be the the Celts Jamal Crawford for a long time... I would pay him 20 million a year for this duty

He just has to not pout

« Reply #126 on: December 08, 2016, 06:00:24 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice

I agree

IT could be the the Celts Jamal Crawford for a long time... I would pay him 20 million a year for this duty

He just has to not pout

Not that Smart is better at the point but I agree with this. He could be better than Jamal Crawford too.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #127 on: December 08, 2016, 06:07:41 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I think this discussion is foolish.

IT is the most talented scorer on the teama. He's also the only true scorer on the team. Therein lies the problem. The C's need another player that can create/score. Right now he's the only one that can really create anything on the floor. If there's another scorer, he can take a secondary scoring role and the ball can move around a little bit more.

« Reply #128 on: December 08, 2016, 11:05:23 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 11:32:25 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #129 on: December 09, 2016, 12:31:29 AM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76

You think that, but are there any statistics that prove you're right? Nope. This whole thing is a sham and Scal put it perfectly. Why can't Smart, Rozier, and Bradley all play like this when IT is here.  It would make his job a whole lot easier.

« Reply #130 on: December 09, 2016, 03:07:44 AM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597

You think that, but are there any statistics that prove you're right? Nope. This whole thing is a sham and Scal put it perfectly. Why can't Smart, Rozier, and Bradley all play like this when IT is here.  It would make his job a whole lot easier.
Off. Rat. with I.T. 108.9, Def. Rat. with I.T. 107.8 for a Net Rat. of +1.0
Off. Rat. without I.T. 104.2, Def. Rat. without I.T. 97.4 for a Net Rat. of +6.8

« Reply #131 on: December 09, 2016, 06:16:04 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Question. How many 1sts is IT worth in the trade market?

Better question: who would be willing to give up assets for him, even remotely think about it?

Sac (maaybe)
Knicks?
Dallas?

Denver = Would the Nuggets trade for IT? They were playing Mudiay at SG for awhile alongside Jameer Nelson at PG. Mudiay is back at PG now but his minutes have dropped to 20mpg over last 3 games. Would Denver be interested? Would they trade Jokic for IT?

Dallas = Surely they would but the only asset they have is their 2017 lotto pick.

Orlando = IT for A.Gordon? Or IT for Ibaka? Could you get Hezonja + Ibaka? Or Ibaka/Gordon + 2017 pick (late lotto)? Surely you could get Vucevic or Biyombo but I am not interested in trading IT for them.

Milwaukee = IT for Middleton or Jabari Parker? Probably not interested in someone who needs the ball as much as IT alongside Giannis. Long shot.

Miami = IT for Whiteside? IT for their 2016 pick? Maybe their 2016 pick + Winslow?

Atlanta = IT for Millsap? If worried Millsap will not resign with them. Or Dwight?

New Orleans = IT for their 2017 pick? Their 2017 pick + Hield?

Minnesota = IT for Zach LaVine?

Utah = IT for Favors?

IT could be a big piece in part of a larger trade for Cousins, Paul George or Jimmy Butler.
One game does not mean Trade IT it shows we are a different team without him. In the Playoffs a team needs two go to scorers we have 1 in in IT. Holford missed a layup do we really want him to take that shot?

IT has proven to be a non factor in the playoffs

« Reply #132 on: December 09, 2016, 08:23:10 AM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406

Off. Rat. without I.T. 104.2, Def. Rat. without I.T. 97.4 for a Net Rat. of +6.8

The silencer ha. TP

« Reply #133 on: December 09, 2016, 08:49:19 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

The silencer ha. TP

This is an interesting stat, but it's not in a vacuum. If you run a full 10 games without IT, would the ratings look different? I think so. I think the defensive rating would go up as Smart and Rozier play against starters more. I also think the offensive rating would stagnate.

« Reply #134 on: December 10, 2016, 10:19:49 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
iT stated He has seen all this BS on the Internet. I for one am sick of it. We get an All Star and we talk about him coming of the bench or trading after one game we play well against a team that is sinking like the titanic. Giving Horford a hard time to see the birth of his child and may make people think twice about signing with us. Just boggles my mind how we are slipping as the best basketball city. Let's Rise up and believe in our Team and Front Office.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek