Author Topic: I'm finally on board.. Thomas should come off the bench  (Read 18352 times)

Re: I'm finally on board.. Thomas should come off the bench
« Reply #90 on: December 07, 2016, 11:16:56 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
The Magic led by 1 at half.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #91 on: December 07, 2016, 11:18:11 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
IT will sulk if he don't start.

So trade him. His value is at its highest right now.
Remember when Smart started in the beginning of 2015 and we were a team headed for the lottery? Oh yeah then IT came and we started winning. So trade IT and I can almost guarentee you our Ws plummet
does context mean nothing?
How about this context? IT starts in 2016 we win 48 games. IT starts and improves yet again this year to 26 PPG and 6 APG and has become one of the best PG in the game and now we are on pace for 50 wins.
i get that

And IT is a tremendous player

But if you think this team would be headed for the lottery with smart starting, then i don't know what to tell you.
Never said that. Just pointed to 2014 to show that Smart didn't have the same impact on the game that IT does, or at least enough to put up wins on the board single-handedly like IT. Anyways we have Al Horford and I doubt he would let us get there.
smart was a rookie, though

Rookies typically don't help you win games when they play big minutes
That's fine well look at 2016 and 2017 for further proof of IT's affect on the game is more substantial and brings more W's than Smart when given the opportunity.

« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2016, 11:26:15 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

Remember when Smart started in the beginning of 2015 and we were a team headed for the lottery? Oh yeah then IT came and we started winning. So trade IT and I can almost guarentee you our Ws plummet
How about this context? IT starts in 2016 we win 48 games. IT starts and improves yet again this year to 26 PPG and 6 APG and has become one of the best PG in the game and now we are on pace for 50 wins.
i get that

But if you think this team would be headed for the lottery with smart starting, then i don't know what to tell you.
Never said that. Just pointed to 2014 to show that Smart didn't have the same impact on the game that IT does, or at least enough to put up wins on the board single-handedly like IT. Anyways we have Al Horford and I doubt he would let us get there.

That's fine well look at 2016 and 2017 for further proof of IT's affect on the game is more substantial and brings more W's than Smart when given the opportunity to win.
just want you to know that i'm not saying smart is better than IT

I'm saying i like what i see from our team as a whole when other people handle the rock

IT is our best scorer, but there are times when the offense becomes predictable, and the ball doesn't move

I love IT, but i feel like if there is value out there for Thomas, we should capitalize

I don't think we should be paying him 25+ million in a few years while simultaneously potentially stunting the growth of smart and rozier 

I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #93 on: December 07, 2016, 11:27:56 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I like starting the game with our best defensive team and wearing the other team down. Then bring IT off the bench like we used to do. McHale came off the bench, why can't IT?

« Reply #94 on: December 07, 2016, 11:29:05 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Look at every position on the team. We have passers everywhere. That should be a huge advantage for us. Keep moving the ball, dag nabbit!
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #95 on: December 07, 2016, 11:29:06 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo

i get that

That's fine well look at 2016 and 2017 for further proof of IT's affect on the game is more substantial and brings more W's than Smart when given the opportunity to win.

I'm saying i like what i see from our team as a whole when other people handle the rock

IT is our best scorer, but there are times when the offense becomes predictable, and the ball doesn't move

I love IT, but i feel like if there is value out there for Thomas, we should capitalize

I don't think we should be paying him 25+ million in a few years while simultaneously potentially stunting the growth of smart and rozier

Yes. Trade IT for one of Philly's bigs while his value is high.

« Reply #96 on: December 07, 2016, 11:31:23 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

i get that

Yes. Trade IT for one of Philly's bigs while his value is high.
This team is Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ed without Isaiah.

There might be some merit to starting the game with Smart to establish a defense and get everyone involved in the offense, but trading Isaiah dooms this team for the '16/'17 season.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #97 on: December 07, 2016, 11:41:28 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
There's no convincing you people. I understand that his value is at an All-Time high and whatever you people want. This team wins with IT, has very little chance to win without him, and somehow to you guys think he makes this team worse.

I really hope he's out the rest of this 3 game stretch just to shut down this crowd. Guaranteed we don't win against OKC, Toronto, or SA without him. This is why I'm glad Brad is coach and you guys aren't
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 11:52:04 PM by alewilliam789 »

« Reply #98 on: December 07, 2016, 11:46:08 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
The scary part is that I'm sure that some people still believe that Smart still has All-Star potential!!! I just can't talk about Smart on this forum. He's a good defender and brings a lot of energy off the bench. To me he's a bust at the 6th overall pick in a strong draft that could have easily landed us a solid starter and hasn't shown me anything to change that notion.
I'm done talking about this Smart guy now just unbelievable the blinding love for Smart on this forum

« Reply #99 on: December 08, 2016, 12:27:10 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
The scary part is that I'm sure that some people still believe that Smart still has All-Star potential!!! I just can't talk about Smart on this forum. He's a good defender and brings a lot of energy off the bench. To me he's a bust at the 6th overall pick in a strong draft that could have easily landed us a solid starter and hasn't shown me anything to change that notion.
I'm done talking about this Smart guy now just unbelievable the blinding love for Smart on this forum
Bust seems to be a bit strong. When he was drafted the other guys in the conversation were Vonleh, Randle, and Stauskas.

I understand the consensus is gonna put Randle over Smart, but if you want to talk about real busts, look at the next two guys in that list.

« Reply #100 on: December 08, 2016, 12:33:03 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Guaranteed we don't win against OKC, Toronto, or SA without him. This is why I'm glad Brad is coach and you guys aren't

Well now that you've guaranteed it and hes probably going to be out for a while, we may as well not play the games.

Celtics get an extended break.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #101 on: December 08, 2016, 12:55:32 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
I seem to remember this happening with another diva point guard that the Celtics traded...

« Reply #102 on: December 08, 2016, 01:27:15 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
I seem to remember this happening with another diva point guard that the Celtics traded...

Not sure thomas deserves to be lumped into the same basket as rondo.

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #103 on: December 08, 2016, 01:33:53 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Tp Jdz for that alewill reply. I lol

« Reply #104 on: December 08, 2016, 03:58:59 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
Why do so many think the C's are a contender?

It's one thing to say IT is not starting material for a contender, and a different thing to say IT should not start for the C's.

(just for the record, I'm not saying IT could not start for a contender, but rather that this is another conversation)

Also, bear in mind that IT is averaging 6.2 assists this season; he has 2.2 TOs (in both cats he is doing better than last season). What evidence do ppl have for calling him a bad passer?

Same for calling him a bad ball handler.

Finally, his FG% is 42.5: not only is this not as bad as you would think by reading this thread but it is roughly the same as last season (42.8%).