Author Topic: I'm finally on board.. Thomas should come off the bench  (Read 18458 times)

Re: I'm finally on board.. Thomas should come off the bench
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2016, 07:49:10 PM »

Offline CelticPride2016

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 247
The idea of Thomas off the bench is ridiculous imho. If his play goes downhill, then he is probably injured and will need time off to heal.

We should have been blown out last night.

Jaylen Brown and Smart looked good. The C's are a work in progress.

If Thomas was really that bad as a starter, we'd be 9-12, not 12-9.

This is the kind of thread I usually ignore, but the best posters seemed to show up to strongly disagree.

I won't go on and on like usual and be attacked as having diarrhea of the mouth. I won't be loquacious. I like writing long posts because I don't come here to chit chat.

I love the Celtics. Horford missing the lay up hurt, but I am instead thinking how close we were to stealing the game. I'm happy Jaylen is back into the mix. I am very happy with the team. If Isaiah is injured, it will hurt. But I would expect Smart and Rozier to step it up. I think Demetrius Jackson could get it done as a last resort.

The negativity does take away from the experience. I agree with that. We all know they aren't 15-6 as expected. We can see Marcus Smart is looking awful with jump shots.

The bottom line is Marcus Smart is able to help win games despite his pitiful statistics. It is fascinating that there is such a thing as intangibles.

I like Isaiah's defensive intensity. Hopefully he is not too hurt. I would rest him anyway. Nonetheless, he is our starting point guard with no current close competition. I don't see Smart or Rozier as ready to step in as Tom Brady for Bledsoe. I think however both of them have proven themselves as capable backup pg's.

Our team is very good with its excellent future still intact. It's been rotten luck so far with injuries and/or key players banged up. That's all this is.

Teams live and die by the three. The whole league has become that. We are living and dying with Isaiah as our offensive force for better or worse unless Danny decides to move in another direction.

Isaiah has been carrying us on his back. Here's hoping the muscle strain was nothing.

« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2016, 08:12:37 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Sorry I just don't believe the Celtics will excel with IT as the starting point guard. I don't care who, (within reason) you pair him with. If you pared him with Cousins, he still wouldn't defer to him. (Been there, done that, the Kings traded him.) We on the other hand are dying to give the pairing another go.

He's a defensive liability, he dominates the ball to score as much as he can. He thinks the more he scores, the better the chances are of a Celtic victory, and that's the way he plays the game, he still showing the NBA what a mistake they made about him at the draft years ago.

Sometimes it just seems to me he would rather challenge at the rim with acrobatic shots, than pass to an open shooter 10-12 feet away.

In a winning scheme, IT would come off the bench, replacing a solid Celtic PG, at opportunistic times during the game. And be very valuable to the team as a 6th man.   

If I'm wrong, and I hope I am, I'll say it.

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2016, 08:28:15 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
Okay start Smart or Rozier over IT. Watch how bad our offense is. Our offense plays terrible without him in. Yes Rozier and Smart are good , but in spurts. That's what makes them good bench players and not consistent starters.
There is a reason that Smart got sat and it's because he's not good enough to be a starting point guard in the NBA.
Some of you guys are ridiculous. You wanna sit our best and most dynamic playmaker because what? He had one bad game? Sit all your butts down as IT becomes one of the best little guys in NBA history and Smart keeps chucking up bricks.
Been advocating on IT starting since he came to Boston despite the backlash and now he's one of the top point guards in the league, we are a top team in the East, and he's coming off an All-Star season. Stop the what-ifs and experience the present. IT, even with defensive limitations, is a 10x better player than Smart and that's not changing for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2016, 08:33:39 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Sorry I just don't believe the Celtics will excel with IT as the starting point guard. I don't care who, (within reason) you pair him with. If you pared him with Cousins, he still wouldn't defer to him. (Been there, done that, the Kings traded him.) We on the other hand are dying to give the pairing another go.

He's a defensive liability, he dominates the ball to score as much as he can. He thinks the more he scores, the better the chances are of a Celtic victory, and that's the way he plays the game, he still showing the NBA what a mistake they made about him at the draft years ago.

Sometimes it just seems to me he would rather challenge at the rim with acrobatic shots, than pass to an open shooter 10-12 feet away.

In a winning scheme, IT would come off the bench, replacing a solid Celtic PG, at opportunistic times during the game. And be very valuable to the team as a 6th man.   

Well said. This is where I am too.

Unfortunately with all the success IT has had since becoming a starter, I do not think he will be able to mentally accept moving back to the bench and into that 6th man role.

This is why I think trading IT (now or in the future) is the option to explore rather than trying (and failing) to move IT back to a 6th man role.

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2016, 08:39:06 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406

Thank you, maybe saying start Rozier was a mistake but our overall sentiment is the same.
I like Thomas, I'm a big fan actually, I just don't see him as the kind of star this team needs.
He would be a great spark off the bench especially considering our bench scoring has been mediocre at best.. but I just don't see him as a guy who can lead a team. Hopefully as an earlier post mentioned Horford will start taking more of a leadership role on this team.

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2016, 08:40:16 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76

Unfortunately with all the success IT has had since becoming a starter, I do not think he will be able to mentally accept moving back to the bench and into that 6th man role.

This is why I think trading IT (now or in the future) is the option to explore rather than trying (and failing) to move IT back to a 6th man role.

You just said that he's had all this success, if he's had all this success why go away from him??

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2016, 08:45:12 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

You just said that he's had all this success, if he's had all this success why go away from him??

I do not believe in players like him.

Undersized PG. Selfish. Shot happy. Terrible defense. Bad rebounder.

Players like this have never won titles as a starting PG. Maybe that will change with the rule changes which have made these type of players more effective than they have been in the past but I am not convinced.

I am still a believer in the old ideology that players like Isaiah are best used as a 6th man sparkplug scorer rather than as a lead guard. 

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2016, 09:26:30 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Is IT the pg that starts on a playoff winner?  I just don't think it works in a series where matchups get exploited and teams and players are scouted to the max. He is a regular season hero.

That said, he is a heck of a player. Great contract. If he would accept any role, fine. 

But I think he would rather start and play 35 minutes on a loser than come off the bench for 15-20 minutes on a contender.  So...when we become contenders, he'll most likely be gone.

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2016, 10:02:40 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559

He's had success in relationship to a rebuilding basketball team, not a team that will go far into the playoffs, and maybe contend for a ring.

Look at the attributes that everyone respects about Labron, it's his assets, rebounds, and defense that really sets himself apart. He facilitates for his team to get everyone involved, he understands what it takes to win a championship.

IT isn't Harden or Westbrook, he's simply not physically able to dig down and play physical in your face D. They could if they needed to, in a key game or series. He's not built for it.

He IS a great weapon off the bench on a contender. A 6th man of the year candidate.

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2016, 10:12:24 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Is IT the pg that starts on a playoff winner?  I just don't think it works in a series where matchups get exploited and teams and players are scouted to the max. He is a regular season hero.

That said, he is a heck of a player. Great contract. If he would accept any role, fine. 

But I think he would rather start and play 35 minutes on a loser than come off the bench for 15-20 minutes on a contender.  So...when we become contenders, he'll most likely be gone.

When you are the only capable scorer it's hard to overcome swarming defenses.

« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2016, 11:16:34 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Players like this have never won titles as a starting PG. Maybe that will change with the rule changes which have made these type of players more effective than they have been in the past but I am not convinced.

I am still a believer in the old ideology that players like Isaiah are best used as a 6th man sparkplug scorer rather than as a lead guard. 
agree with you regarding IT.  not a fan of his game.  makes some incredible shots but IMHO, a better-run offense wouldn't rely on him having to take those shots.  Really hate his drives down the court just to take a 3 with over 20 seconds left on the shot clock.  he does make a decent percentage but I'd rather see them get layups or draw fouls at the basket than jacking up 3's on the fast break.

as a scorer off the bench, he'd be a real asset.  as the starting PG, he's not enough of a facilitator to keep the job.  sadly, he's better than the other options we have at the moment.  Rozier may grow into that role when IT hits free agency or maybe we use the Nets high lottery pick we'll get this year to get that all-star PG. 

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2016, 11:24:45 PM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
IT should be a starter with our current squad of players. The sixth man role will only suit when we have another scorer on the team who can hit 20+ points every game.

Though the defence improves if he is off, he is still essential to our offence and there are no alternatives in the current squad.

« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2016, 11:40:57 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

Isaiah is that all star point guard

agree with you regarding IT.  not a fan of his game.  makes some incredible shots but IMHO, a better-run offense wouldn't rely on him having to take those shots.  Really hate his drives down the court just to take a 3 with over 20 seconds left on the shot clock.  he does make a decent percentage but I'd rather see them get layups or draw fouls at the basket than jacking up 3's on the fast break.

as a scorer off the bench, he'd be a real asset.  as the starting PG, he's not enough of a facilitator to keep the job.  sadly, he's better than the other options we have at the moment.  Rozier may grow into that role when IT hits free agency or maybe we use the Nets high lottery pick we'll get this year to get that all-star PG.

Thomas is that All Star Point Guard.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 12:43:39 AM by Rondo9 »

« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2016, 12:37:35 AM »

Offline OldSchoolDude

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
Rondo was our best player when we traded him and people here Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ed that we didn't get good value in the trade and now love crowder.  IT scores which we need but doesn't make the people around him better like a true star.  He's a 5'8 SG in a PG role.  He took the starting job when Smart got hurt and Smart hasn't been able to take it back.  I belive we're going to draft a point guard if we draft top three again, and IT will walk in free agency.

« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2016, 01:07:40 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I don't know what more you guys expect.  We would be a horrible team without IT.  We would be really bad if he came off the bench as suggested. 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 02:02:22 AM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC