Author Topic: I'm finally on board.. Thomas should come off the bench  (Read 18344 times)

Re: I'm finally on board.. Thomas should come off the bench
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2016, 12:02:10 PM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Only way I would bench him is if we trade for Wall. He makes mistakes, I admit, but I'm asking you to show me the guy that can attack the defense and create the open shots for the teammates. If you find me the guy (he must wear green) I'll vote for bench imediately.

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2016, 12:21:53 PM »

Offline Rivers23

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 3
IT starting is hardly the biggest problem. Nearly all players take ill advised shots, it's not fair to mention just IT in that sense. The whole team needs to make a conscious effort to stop playing the 7 seconds or less offense at times and stop with ridiculous pull up shots after a few dribbles. Also, consistency among the starters seems to me a bigger problem. One night Bradley has a bad game, then Crowder has 2 bad games, then Horford freezes up, etc.

The rest of the team at times seems to just watch IT and wait until he does something instead of running and passing and helping him in that regard.

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2016, 12:44:52 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
You start the unit that has the best players. IT is the 1 or 1A best player on this team. Benching him would destroy the player's confidence in their coach and destroy IT's loyalty and effort for this team. He starts until someone on this team becomes better than him or until a better player is traded for that is better than him. IT benched is a bad idea, plain and simple. It makes this team worse.

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2016, 12:49:14 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have the facts of life!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2016, 12:53:06 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
These kind of topics are making me leave this forum.There are very few PG's that play on this level in whole NBA but for us no. Rozier is better.  You people are realy funny. At least.
I come here less and less myself. I was told time and time again AB has peaked. He still has not peaked. People come to see how they can stir the pot here. Then you have people who start threads and don't even convey a thought and write like they are texting. Take pride in what you post. IT is great he should start all we need is Bogut to make the ECF and if Cleveland loses a starter we have shot. Try to trade for Boogie this summer and build through Draft if he does not come. Blake is not coming to Boston he is a LA boy now.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2016, 12:55:02 PM »

Offline BlackCeltic

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 64
You start the unit that has the best players. IT is the 1 or 1A best player on this team. Benching him would destroy the player's confidence in their coach and destroy IT's loyalty and effort for this team. He starts until someone on this team becomes better than him or until a better player is traded for that is better than him. IT benched is a bad idea, plain and simple. It makes this team worse.

Jerebco isnt one of our top 10 best players, yet he started last night. Im not saying IT should come off the bench though.

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2016, 01:01:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Jerebco isnt one of our top 10 best players, yet he started last night. Im not saying IT should come off the bench though.
5th men on starting units tend to be glue guys. You need them to make the starting unit function at its best, hence they would be the best unit. I should have mentioned that.

The point still stands, benching IT would kill this team.

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2016, 01:03:33 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
These kind of topics are making me leave this forum.There are very few PG's that play on this level in whole NBA but for us no. Rozier is better.  You people are realy funny. At least.
I come here less and less myself. I was told time and time again AB has peaked. He still has not peaked. People come to see how they can stir the pot here. Then you have people who start threads and don't even convey a thought and write like they are texting. Take pride in what you post. IT is great he should start all we need is Bogut to make the ECF and if Cleveland loses a starter we have shot. Try to trade for Boogie this summer and build through Draft if he does not come. Blake is not coming to Boston he is a LA boy now.

Not trying to be a smart ass but if your intention is to not debate Celtics topics on a Celtics forum then you probably should stop coming here.
How interesting would this forum be if there wasn't harmless debate?

Maybe all threads should be on how great the team is, heaven forbid we discuss ways they could possibly improve on their stellar 12-9 record.

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2016, 02:45:06 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.

Not trying to be a smart ass but if your intention is to not debate Celtics topics on a Celtics forum then you probably should stop coming here.

Maybe all threads should be on how great the team is, heaven forbid we discuss ways they could possibly improve on their stellar 12-9 record.
Thomas coming off the bench may have some merit and yes I come here to debate but Rozier in the starting lineup and IT of the Bench is truly where I am going to us my brain power to have some harmless debate. Really???
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2016, 04:14:30 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324

Honestly, i agree with the other 2 posters; this forum has kinda gotten me sick of watching the celtics sometimes. all i ever see on here is negativity: isaiah has a bad game and everyone wants to bench him, comments about how we're in "purgatory" or something, one-liners (that, mind you, have absolutely no basis whatsoever) against Danny, stupid use of stats like per 36 to show one's love for another franchise, hate against Horford, hate against Jaylen, yadda yadda yadda.

I'm honestly thinking of really not coming on here for awhile...quality of posts and comments has gone down significantly. users constantly are ridiculing each other publicly, calling each other out by name, insulting each other. it's making me not enjoy being a celtics fan, everytime i sign on. not to mention the site structure and load times as a whole kinda suck too, but apparently thats a problem on my side (and is not due to servers or whatever)

i have a lot more fun discussing the celtics on a place like Reddit, you rarely see any of the blasphemy that we see here. if a post presents a lack of thought or proposes a ridiculous scenario like this one, the downvote button always works fine.

so, yeah. that's my thoughts. people will probably disagree. i'm fine with that. maybe ill come back in a few weeks, see if anything's changed or not
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2016, 04:21:56 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
^ Agree with the above sentiment.

Our primary difficulty right now, aside from effort/defense, is lack of a 2nd unit PG.  Rozier can't adequately replace Turner -- yet now we're going to move IT to the bench in favor of Rozier? Rozier is another 2 trapped in PG's body, and to this point, his most redeeming quality is his ability to hit ill-advised shots.  With all due respect to OP, that'd be a disaster.  He's single-handedly keeping us in/winning us most games.  And for all the talk of his stat-chasing and selfishness, we won the Detroit game with Al's tip in... and that came as a result of IT driving and kicking to Crowder, rather than trying to get his own. 

I'm not going to debate Smart's ability as a potential starting PG.  That's just silly right now.  The occassional flashy pass isn't enough to get him into the conversation.  Folks are p---ed about Rozier being the primary ballhandler for the 2nd unit -- but, why do you think that is?  He's able to get us into offense sets (albet much more basic ones) far more quickly than Smart.  Smart's decision-making is obviously very suspect on the offense end, too.  And finally, Smart is pretty dysregulated out there -- you need a steadying presence in a PG.  For all his awesome, winning plays... he's a bull in a china shop that's creating opportunities for us by way of running around like a maniac.

More knee-jerk reactions than usual here lately.  Have to assume this is a result of the heightened expectations coming into the season.  But we will improve a lot this season, just need to iron out the wrinkles and find out what individual parts work best together.  And hopefully we land a big prior to the trade deadline.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2016, 04:24:42 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
IT as is, is still a good starter n you gotta have a guy that can take up a big scoring load at the 1 spot, especially in this NBA. Good thing Horford is here, IT isn't the only resident star. But Horford needs to make this HIS team, I feel thats when  we'll see this team really start to click.

« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2016, 05:30:30 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
isaiah has a bad game and everyone wants to bench him

...or, you know, one person (the OP) discusses the possibility of IT coming off the bench while everybody else berates him.

Just because something is a forum topic doesn't mean that everybody else agrees. That is the point of bringing it up as a topic.

« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2016, 05:39:42 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
There's no way IT is going to come off the bench because Stevens, for some reason, has fixated on playing a core four (IT, Al, Crowder, Bradley).  Harden played 35 minutes last night and three of those four played as many or more minutes, with Bradley only behind at 33 minutes.  Let me go out on a limb and say we don't have the talent level where four guys should all be playing Harden minutes, especially when KO and Brown were both playing fairly decently last night.

Mike

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2016, 06:08:47 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
isaiah has a bad game and everyone wants to bench him

Its Celticsblog go figure...