Author Topic: What's the Agenda for replacing Amir, Jonas, Kelly  (Read 5599 times)

Re: What's the Agenda for replacing Amir, Jonas, Kelly
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2016, 01:58:23 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
Olynyk is Okay but I don't want to keep him unless it's on the cheap which is unlikely. Jonas played too many minutes tonight and I'm genuinely ready to move on from him. Amir. The wheels fell off the wagon this year he's done.

What are realistic options? Zizic and Yabu could be on the way, but they will be rookie's. Giles would be nice, but again will be a rookie. Blake coming here? 2% chance. Boogie would be great, but we have been hoping to get him for three years now.

Where is this magical frontcourt overhaul going to come from. We need a veteran that can play. Andrew Bogut really would be great.

Hold up - did you say Andrew freaking Bogut to replace Kelly Olynyk?

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, he's leading the league in defensive rebounding, sets great screens, plays excellent team d, blocks shots. But he's got persistent body problems and is on the wrong side of 32. His turnover % is currently 29.8 - hold on a moment while I get my jaw off the floor. Shooting outside the restricted area is an adventure. Bottom line: you cannot play a Brad Stevens offense with him.

As I said, I love the guy. But the chance of his coming to Boston is about where you rate Griffin's. Blake would be the ideal fit, on the other hand ...

In any case, Kelly helps you on both ends, poses big matchup problems for opponents, and fits beautifully into what Brad and Danny want to do.

I'll buy you lunch at your favorite restaurant if Zizic ever cracks an NBA rotation - not bloody likely. Yabusele is a long shot, but I think he was worth taking a flyer on.

I'll take that bet Painted. I'm going to start looking up Yelp to find the most expensive restaurants in town.

I'm going to be eating good when Zizic is taking the other teams Lunch!😂😂

If it's a bet, you buy me if you lose.  Shall we give him to age 28? Shall we define "rotation player" as "at least 10 minutes per game in at least 60 games in a season"?

« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2016, 02:17:37 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Olynyk is Okay but I don't want to keep him unless it's on the cheap which is unlikely. Jonas played too many minutes tonight and I'm genuinely ready to move on from him. Amir. The wheels fell off the wagon this year he's done.

What are realistic options? Zizic and Yabu could be on the way, but they will be rookie's. Giles would be nice, but again will be a rookie. Blake coming here? 2% chance. Boogie would be great, but we have been hoping to get him for three years now.

Where is this magical frontcourt overhaul going to come from. We need a veteran that can play. Andrew Bogut really would be great.

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, he's leading the league in defensive rebounding, sets great screens, plays excellent team d, blocks shots. But he's got persistent body problems and is on the wrong side of 32. His turnover % is currently 29.8 - hold on a moment while I get my jaw off the floor. Shooting outside the restricted area is an adventure. Bottom line: you cannot play a Brad Stevens offense with him.

As I said, I love the guy. But the chance of his coming to Boston is about where you rate Griffin's. Blake would be the ideal fit, on the other hand ...

In any case, Kelly helps you on both ends, poses big matchup problems for opponents, and fits beautifully into what Brad and Danny want to do.

I'll buy you lunch at your favorite restaurant if Zizic ever cracks an NBA rotation - not bloody likely. Yabusele is a long shot, but I think he was worth taking a flyer on.

I'll take that bet Painted. I'm going to start looking up Yelp to find the most expensive restaurants in town.

I'm going to be eating good when Zizic is taking the other teams Lunch!😂😂

If it's a bet, you buy me if you lose.  Shall we give him to age 28? Shall we define "rotation player" as "at least 10 minutes per game in at least 60 games in a season"?

Parameters accepted. It's a Bet!

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2016, 06:23:44 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

can i be included in the deal pls?a big mac with fries will suffice.

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2016, 06:50:28 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

Done Greece! I'll even add Bacon if you like!

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2016, 04:16:43 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum

I don't get the enthusiasm. 

There are big issues with his body that are not correctable:  high center of gravity and long legs - it's why guys can so easily push him aside and blow by him.  Slow hip and shoulder joints can be worked on, at least.  He's slow off the floor, contributing to his poor rim protection (despite his nice length) and rotating.  A long leg is also a heavy leg; he's fine once he gets running, but acceleration in small spaces, and especially laterally - which is a big priority in NBA team defense - is going to be a career-long challenge.

As big an issue is his feel for the game; his tov% over 19 (in the Adriatic League, mind you) and his ast% under 5 tell you that he's a classic "black hole"; if he had a bigger repertoire on the block, that would be less of a concern, though the likelihood that he'd join the Celtics looks close to zero, given Ainge's preference for bigs you can run offense through - few players have come that far.

On the plus side, he's got energy, runs the floor quick, and works for boards.  He's put work into his post offense, so there's hope for countermoves and a midrange (slow windup, though, because of the shoulders).  Lower body strength is a big priority, although as I mentioned he's got some challenges that he'll have a hard time overcoming because of his body structure.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 04:56:11 PM by ThePaintedArea »

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2016, 05:07:28 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson

I mean wow. Do you hate Zizic? May I remind you that he's a tremendous rebounder with a 9'3" standing reach with a fantastic motor.

Newsflash we need someone exactly like that this year. Of course he has weaknesses, but if you focus on his strengths you would realize he's a great fit with Horford or Olynyk. Thanks.

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2016, 01:37:42 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum

I mean wow. Do you hate Zizic?

Lol.  I don't even hate his game.  But he's a very limited player, a long shot to make the NBA.

May I remind you that he's a tremendous rebounder with a 9'3" standing reach with a fantastic motor.

I think I mentioned those things, along with the fact that he changes ends quickly.  Without a doubt, he's got potential.

He even could become a good rebounder at the NBA level, but he's got to get stronger in the lower body.

The length gives him potential as a shot-blocker, in theory.  But he's slow off the floor, his shoulders are slow, and he doesn't anticipate well.  All of those deficiencies can potentially be reduced, but it's hard to see him ever having "rim protector" on his resume.

Newsflash we need someone exactly like that this year.

Obviously the Celtics brass think otherwise.  That's why he's half way around the world, while Mickey gets spot minutes and Nader is in Maine.

There are three aspects to this:

First, he's not physically ready to be in an NBA game - opponents would be mopping the floor with him if his coach were fool enough to put him out there.

Second, he's not good enough yet at what he does do - if he ever will be.  Most guys don't get what kind of commitment it's really going to take; and Ante has some physical limitations to deal with.

Third, he needs to be able to play a more complete game - he needs to play passable defense and take better care of the ball, at a minimum.

If he can advance in all three aspects, he could be getting spot minutes on an NBA team.  To get into a rotation?  He needs to excel at something, or be very good all around.

Look - I'm the guy who roots for the outsiders, the longshots, the idiot savants, the has-beens and the long-since written-offs. But those guys have got to work twice as hard. It'd be great if Zizic made it, but let's not kid ourselves - it is really going to take something for him to get there.

Of course he has weaknesses, but if you focus on his strengths you would realize he's a great fit with Horford or Olynyk. Thanks.

The Celtics have an offense where all five guys move and touch the ball.  Ante does not move the ball - he's a classic "black hole".
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 06:53:03 PM by ThePaintedArea »

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2016, 03:45:23 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville

There are big issues with his body that are not correctable:  high center of gravity and long legs - it's why guys can so easily push him aside and blow by him.  Slow hip and shoulder joints can be worked on, at least.  He's slow off the floor, contributing to his poor rim protection (despite his nice length) and rotating.  A long leg is also a heavy leg; he's fine once he gets running, but acceleration in small spaces, and especially laterally - which is a big priority in NBA team defense - is going to be a career-long challenge.

As big an issue is his feel for the game; his tov% over 19 (in the Adriatic League, mind you) and his ast% under 5 tell you that he's a classic "black hole"; if he had a bigger repertoire on the block, that would be less of a concern, though the likelihood that he'd join the Celtics looks close to zero, given Ainge's preference for bigs you can run offense through - few players have come that far.

On the plus side, he's got energy, runs the floor quick, and works for boards.  He's put work into his post offense, so there's hope for countermoves and a midrange (slow windup, though, because of the shoulders).  Lower body strength is a big priority, although as I mentioned he's got some challenges that he'll have a hard time overcoming because of his body structure.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Just for the record, I'm not enthusiastic, I just think he prolly has a future in the NBA.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to stats from the Adriatic League, they are useful to a point, but the game there is different enough for them not to be directly relevant to the NBA. Sure, some of the points you raise are red flags, but as you yourself point, there are good aspects in his game too.

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2016, 06:47:33 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Just for the record, I'm not enthusiastic, I just think he prolly has a future in the NBA.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to stats from the Adriatic League, they are useful to a point, but the game there is different enough for them not to be directly relevant to the NBA. Sure, some of the points you raise are red flags, but as you yourself point, there are good aspects in his game too.

Looks like I'm pretty close to where you are on him. 

My point  about the Adriatic League was that his turnover% would have been disastrous even if it WERE in the NBA. He's definitely not ready for the Big Show.