Author Topic: What's the Agenda for replacing Amir, Jonas, Kelly  (Read 5610 times)

Re: What's the Agenda for replacing Amir, Jonas, Kelly
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2016, 10:26:40 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Danny should take note of Dombrowski of the Red Sox and pull the trigger. He has enough young guys. Time to get an ace with those assets he's sitting on.

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2016, 10:37:11 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
The Cubs and Indians were both built through shrewd drafting and shrewd acquisitions. Jon Lester and Heyward were really the only "big ticket" guys.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2016, 11:25:26 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Not that I think it's likely but what if Crowder plays PF like he was going to if we signed KD? Team could then promote Brown or sign Hayward. Again unlikely but could we see Brown at SF and Crowder at PF next year?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 01:07:08 AM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2016, 11:46:37 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Can we just drop the Bosh talk?  He is not going to play basketball if his doctor says no, that would be foolish and would put his family at risk.

I would trade for Noel as the most realistic target.  Rozier and a 2nd round pick.

His doctor says yes.  The Heat's doctor says no.  Neither doctor is completely unbiased.  I think it's unlikely but not impossible that he plays again.  I think it's at least as likely that he does play again as it is that Boogie Cousins gets traded to the Celtics, and goodness knows we have plenty of those threads.

If he's eventually waived, as is expected, the Celtics would be foolish to not take a look at him and get some of their own expert opinions.

100% agree Bosh is by far the best option, I like the idea because CB, like Horford, played his whole career the east. Sometimes you get the Jason Terry's of the world who play their whole career out west and come here and expect everyone to give each other uncontested looks all game. Whether in Toronto or Miami Bosh has slogged through the best the East has to offe or and rolled with every bit he took.

Bosh/Horford are interchangeable at frontcourt positions and perform similar but complentary roles on offense. Bosh started learning to shoot threes years before most other big men caught on, and if Horford remains one of the top shot blockers in the league like he has been this season they could develop a nice inside-outside dichotomy.

I don't blame Miami for wanting to move on but from our end it'd be a gamble worth taking. Agree with the doctor comment as well how many times have you heard about a player getting injured and everyone remarks how lucky he is to have been hurt close to Mass General?

Think it'll be between us and Houston for Bosh's destination and IMO he'd fit better on our team than in the D'antoni system.

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2016, 01:49:19 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
1. Do whatever it takes to upgrade that fifth starter position without giving up IT, AB, Crowder, or Horford

THEN

2. Figure out how to construct a decent bench with what remains.

Exactly this.

#2 shouldn't be that hard as long as we have at least ONE of Smart, Kelly, Brown, Rozier, or the BKN pick leftover. 

There's also Zeller, Mickey, Yabu, and Zizic who might be helpful if they're leftover.

That's not too much to ask right?  And as long as we have 1 of the best starting 5s in the league, it should get the job done right?

Then again, given the cap space we have, we can just let Amir, Jonas, and Kelly walk, sign a max FA, and keep literally everyone else (including the 2 BKN picks).

IT / Rozier
AB / Smart
Crowder / Brown
Griffin / BKN lottery pick
Horford / Zeller

Reserves:
Jackson
vet FA or 2nd rounder
Yabu
Mickey
Zizic

Still have 2018 BKN pick.

And at that point you still have plenty of pieces to trade for a more reliable backup big if need be.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 02:04:52 PM by mgent »
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2016, 02:12:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
1. Do whatever it takes to upgrade that fifth starter position without giving up IT, AB, Crowder, or Horford

THEN

2. Figure out how to construct a decent bench with what remains.

Exactly this.

#2 shouldn't be that hard as long as we have at least ONE of Smart, Kelly, Brown, Rozier, or the BKN pick leftover. 

There's also Zeller, Mickey, Yabu, and Zizic who might be helpful if they're leftover.

That's not too much to ask right?  And as long as we have 1 of the best starting 5s in the league, it should get the job done right?

Then again, given the cap space we have, we can just let Amir, Jonas, and Kelly walk, sign a max FA, and keep literally everyone else (including the 2 BKN picks).

IT / Rozier
AB / Smart
Crowder / Brown
Griffin / BKN lottery pick
Horford / Zeller

Reserves:
Jackson
vet FA or 2nd rounder
Yabu
Mickey
Zizic

Still have 2018 BKN pick.

And at that point you still have plenty of pieces to trade for a more reliable backup big if need be.
Pretty sure Zeller has to go in order to get enough cap space to sign Griffin. Also, as good as that starting five is, relying on that many players with less than three years experience in the league will mean having a terrible bench. Sorry but youth for the most part doesnt equal good play. Look at this season. What has Brown, Mickey, Young, and Smart really done for this team, especially offensively. If Boston signs Griffin, you have to trade some of that youth for vets to really become a contender.

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2016, 09:22:14 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
2017 1st round pick, Zizic, Yabu
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2016, 09:23:34 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
2017 1st round pick, Zizic, Yabu

This ^

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2016, 06:16:33 PM »

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
If we do move from Jerebko this offseason, we need players off the bench that fill a similar role.   McRoberts, Casspi and Kuzminskas are similar to Jerebko.  McRoberts would fit really well into Olynyk's role as well.  Casspi and Kusminskas are big small forwards.  Not sure if we can replace Amir as easily.  Probably would need to upgrade either starting C or PF to find a player that provides similar impacts.

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2016, 06:21:41 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Zeller is missing from that list

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2016, 06:36:00 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Jerebko is a bargain and likes playing here.  Great glue guy and he's only 29.  Sign him to another friendly 1+1 deal.  Pay Olynyk with Amir's money.  Give Zeller and Green's minutes to Zizic and Yabu.  Trade IT and whatever for Cousins.  Draft Fultz while we're at it.

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2016, 06:54:45 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
OK agreed. Let's here some suggestions though.

Don't forget Zeller.

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2016, 06:55:30 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
Jerebko is a bargain and likes playing here.  Great glue guy and he's only 29.  Sign him to another friendly 1+1 deal.  Pay Olynyk with Amir's money.  Give Zeller and Green's minutes to Zizic and Yabu.  Trade IT and whatever for Cousins.  Draft Fultz while we're at it.

Olynyk will be resigned.  Too young, too much skill to let walk.

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2016, 10:21:53 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
Olynyk is Okay but I don't want to keep him unless it's on the cheap which is unlikely. Jonas played too many minutes tonight and I'm genuinely ready to move on from him. Amir. The wheels fell off the wagon this year he's done.

What are realistic options? Zizic and Yabu could be on the way, but they will be rookie's. Giles would be nice, but again will be a rookie. Blake coming here? 2% chance. Boogie would be great, but we have been hoping to get him for three years now.

Where is this magical frontcourt overhaul going to come from. We need a veteran that can play. Andrew Bogut really would be great.

Hold up - did you say Andrew freaking Bogut to replace Kelly Olynyk?

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, he's leading the league in defensive rebounding, sets great screens, plays excellent team d, blocks shots. But he's got persistent body problems and is on the wrong side of 32. His turnover % is currently 29.8 - hold on a moment while I get my jaw off the floor. Shooting outside the restricted area is an adventure. Bottom line: you cannot play a Brad Stevens offense with him.

As I said, I love the guy. But the chance of his coming to Boston is about where you rate Griffin's. Blake would be the ideal fit, on the other hand ...

In any case, Kelly helps you on both ends, poses big matchup problems for opponents, and fits beautifully into what Brad and Danny want to do.

I'll buy you lunch at your favorite restaurant if Zizic ever cracks an NBA rotation - not bloody likely. Yabusele is a long shot, but I think he was worth taking a flyer on.

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2016, 12:42:21 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Olynyk is Okay but I don't want to keep him unless it's on the cheap which is unlikely. Jonas played too many minutes tonight and I'm genuinely ready to move on from him. Amir. The wheels fell off the wagon this year he's done.

What are realistic options? Zizic and Yabu could be on the way, but they will be rookie's. Giles would be nice, but again will be a rookie. Blake coming here? 2% chance. Boogie would be great, but we have been hoping to get him for three years now.

Where is this magical frontcourt overhaul going to come from. We need a veteran that can play. Andrew Bogut really would be great.

Hold up - did you say Andrew freaking Bogut to replace Kelly Olynyk?

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, he's leading the league in defensive rebounding, sets great screens, plays excellent team d, blocks shots. But he's got persistent body problems and is on the wrong side of 32. His turnover % is currently 29.8 - hold on a moment while I get my jaw off the floor. Shooting outside the restricted area is an adventure. Bottom line: you cannot play a Brad Stevens offense with him.

As I said, I love the guy. But the chance of his coming to Boston is about where you rate Griffin's. Blake would be the ideal fit, on the other hand ...

In any case, Kelly helps you on both ends, poses big matchup problems for opponents, and fits beautifully into what Brad and Danny want to do.

I'll buy you lunch at your favorite restaurant if Zizic ever cracks an NBA rotation - not bloody likely. Yabusele is a long shot, but I think he was worth taking a flyer on.

I'll take that bet Painted. I'm going to start looking up Yelp to find the most expensive restaurants in town.

I'm going to be eating good when Zizic is taking the other teams Lunch!😂😂