Author Topic: What's the Agenda for replacing Amir, Jonas, Kelly  (Read 5638 times)

What's the Agenda for replacing Amir, Jonas, Kelly
« on: December 06, 2016, 02:37:47 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 Olynyk is Okay but I don't want to keep him unless it's on the cheap which is unlikely. Jonas played too many minutes tonight and I'm genuinely ready to move on from him. Amir. The wheels fell off the wagon this year he's done.

What are realistic options? Zizic and Yabu could be on the way, but they will be rookie's. Giles would be nice, but again will be a rookie. Blake coming here? 2% chance. Boogie would be great, but we have been hoping to get him for three years now.

Where is this magical frontcourt overhaul going to come from. We need a veteran that can play. Andrew Bogut really would be great.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 04:48:25 AM by KG Living Legend »

Re: What's the Agenda for replacing Amir, Jonas, Kelly
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2016, 06:04:53 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Bosh and the world's best cardiologists? 

I think this board would get really frustrated with Bogut's questionable health really quickly.  He didn't finish any of his last three seasons, despite the Warriors managing his minutes pretty carefully.  Not to mention he's shooting under 50% this season, which is not good when over 90% of your shots come with 10 feet of the basket.

I agree we need something better.  Bogut is not something better.  He's just a different kind of not good enough.

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 06:07:12 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

OK agreed. Let's here some suggestions though.

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 06:15:12 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

I think this board would get really frustrated with Bogut's questionable health really quickly.  He didn't finish any of his last three seasons, despite the Warriors managing his minutes pretty carefully.  Not to mention he's shooting under 50% this season, which is not good when over 90% of your shots come with 10 feet of the basket.

I agree we need something better.  Bogut is not something better.  He's just a different kind of not good enough.

He's not the best solution out there but he certainly helps. His passing, rebounding and rim protection alone would be really useful for this team.

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 06:31:46 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

He's not the best solution out there but he certainly helps. His passing, rebounding and rim protection alone would be really useful for this team.

The only one of those he's doing significantly better than Amir in this year is rebounding.  Their blocks have been about the same.  Bogut also can't switch to a perimeter player at all at this point in his career, whereas Johnson can give you a few seconds out there.  Bogut, again, can't buy a bucket this season, and is averaging an additional turnover per 36 minutes.

Also, this thread is theoretically about what to do next year when a few of our current bigs will have likely left.  You really want a 33 year-old with very significant injury issues (hurt again tonight even), who's currently averaging as many points as fouls?  And he's supposed to replace two of the bigs listed in this thread title?  Trading Zeller and a second for Bogut at the deadline would be okay for this season.  Underwhelming, but better than nothing.  But as someone to actually rely on for the next couple seasons?  Not a bit.

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 07:11:12 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

OK agreed. Let's here some suggestions though.

I'm half serious about Bosh.  There is at least one doctor who says he can play (his own).  If the Heat waive him for injury, the Celtics could presumably just pay him the minimum through 2019, since the Heat would still be paying him $52 million the next two seasons.  There's the added benefit that getting Bosh back to the court would also mess up the Heat's cap/tax situation for a couple seasons.  Boston has several of the world's leading cardiologists -- if there's a solution for Bosh, it could be in Boston.

Otherwise, aside from the dead-horse of Noel, it would seem a trade with a team that has an extra big but is deficient in the back-court would be the solution.  Obviously Sacramento is one such team.  Denver may be another, and Milwaukee a third -- John Henson is signed to a reasonable deal, and Milwaukee may need to move a little salary before next season.  They have $112.5 million committed to 11 players for next year.  Taking a run at Ibaka in free agency could also make sense as plan C.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 07:26:50 AM by saltlover »

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 07:33:05 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Find a good PF. That sounds crass, but it's true. We need a legit NBA PF (and no, Horford is not a PF).
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 07:42:28 AM »

Offline Rivers23

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 3
I don't understand all the hate on Jerebko and KO. What do you expect, a bench as strong as last season Warriors'? A big 5? I think Jerebko's last performance was solid and KO just needs more courage.  Amir should be traded though.

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 07:58:31 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Can we just drop the Bosh talk?  He is not going to play basketball if his doctor says no, that would be foolish and would put his family at risk.

I would trade for Noel as the most realistic target.  Rozier and a 2nd round pick.

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 08:04:49 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
The 5th starter is really looking like the lynch pin for this teams success. As the roster stands now I believe they can win a first round playoff match-up but would not expect anything more. An upgrade to the 5th starter is going to have to happen in order to push deeper in the playoffs.

The current options KO,JJ, and Amir all play different roles. KO is the most talented of the bunch and should be starting however he is also better served as the first big off the bench. JJ gives the starters a small ball look with JJ being more of a SF then a PF this isnt a bad thing however he isn't talented enough to compensate for the lack of rebounding he brings. Amir in theory gives a bigger more defensive orientated look but appears to be aging himself out of the rotation.

DA and BS need to figure out which niche is better to fill with the 5th starter defensive traditional big to fix rebounding issues or a combo forward whose talent compensates for the lack of rebounding.

possible fits

traditional big: Noel (talked about at length), Bogut (talked about at length)

Combo forward: Gallinari (was rumored in the past), Gay (always in rumors), Mirotic (coming off the bench and having a down year)

Talented but not perfect fits: Monroe (alot of talent just not a modern game), Faried (alot of holes in his game but brings energy and rebounding) 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 08:14:06 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
You can pick apart his flaws but Monroe is the best fit of  those that are reasonably "getable".  We could probably get him for Amir and a non-BKN draft pick as the base of the trade.

He would be a significant upgrade over Amir or Jerebko.  Kelly could continue to play a nice role off the bench (where he belongs).

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 08:15:58 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Can we just drop the Bosh talk?  He is not going to play basketball if his doctor says no, that would be foolish and would put his family at risk.

I would trade for Noel as the most realistic target.  Rozier and a 2nd round pick.

His doctor says yes.  The Heat's doctor says no.  Neither doctor is completely unbiased.  I think it's unlikely but not impossible that he plays again.  I think it's at least as likely that he does play again as it is that Boogie Cousins gets traded to the Celtics, and goodness knows we have plenty of those threads.

If he's eventually waived, as is expected, the Celtics would be foolish to not take a look at him and get some of their own expert opinions.

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 08:22:38 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Sign Blake Griffin, trade for a quality back up like  Mike Muscala or Kris Humprumies, then bring over rookies Zizic and Yab while dumping or trading Mickey, and resign Olynyk( cant believe I said that but he is a serviceable back up even if I dont like him or his game).

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2016, 04:42:06 PM »

Offline CelticGuardian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 43
  • Blood. Sweat. & Tears.
We can make a trade for a veteran than go young next year with yabu, zizic and nets pick.

Which BTW Its guaranteed to be a top 5 pick IMO

In this draft though what are CB's thoughts on Jonathan Isaac? I think he might be Danny's guy

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2016, 04:54:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
1. Do whatever it takes to upgrade that fifth starter position without giving up IT, AB, Crowder, or Horford

THEN

2. Figure out how to construct a decent bench with what remains.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain