Author Topic: Professional Interview Question - Skype/Attire?  (Read 4655 times)

Professional Interview Question - Skype/Attire?
« on: December 05, 2016, 08:13:14 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
Hey everyone,

So tomorrow I have a Skype interview with the search committee for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position. It's by far the most advanced position I have ever applied and/or interviewed for, so I'm kind of in uncharted territory here, along with being a bit nervous.

To make things worse, I've actually never had an interview through Skype before, so I'm a little unfamiliar with the "do's and do not's" of the Skype interview process. Further, I've never interviewed for an entire search committee before, so that will also be something new for me.

Particularly, I'm unsure of how formal I should dress for this interview, and I've read a lot of conflicting opinions. Some say you should always dress as formal as possible in Skype/Face-to-Face interviews, including a full suit or at least a jacket and tie. However, there's also the possibility of overdressing, which I have heard is particularly something to look out for in academic positions. I've heard everything from just lose the jacket to lose both the tie and jacket and just wear a nice, button-up shirt.

I'm pretty young for such a position, so I'm leaning towards dressing more formally with a full jacket, tie, and everything to kind of show that I'm serious about the position.

Any advice regarding the attire for a Skype interview? Also, any other advice about Skype interviews in general would be much appreciated. TPs for any help!

Re: Professional Interview Question - Skype/Attire?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 08:36:38 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Can you provide a bit more info about what type of department/school etc?

I am an associate professor at a business school, and have been on the hiring side for multiple years now. We've never done a skype interview, though are likely going to start doing them in the future.

In general, I'd suggest to someone doing a skype interview with my department to dress formally (coat and tie) and treat it as a professional interview. Anyone who comes in for a fly-out visit, or who we meet with at an academic conference for an interivew, is in coat and tie. So the same norms apply for skype (at least for now--who knows, that could change in the future).

I'm happy to take this offline if you want.

Good luck!
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2016, 08:47:59 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
1.) It is hard to know what to expect from the reviewers.  I work in the sciences and have seen lots of very unfashionable people get to high places at a young age, just because they're super star geniuses.  So one the one hand, you could say it doesn't necessarily matter at all.

2.) However, you have to imagine that nobody is going to dock you points for dressing appropriately, which is a suit and tie. 

3.) Make sure to have a nice background too.  Either something neutral or make sure it's completely clutter free.  Make yourself level with the camera.

4.) Skype means that they are probably interviewing in a hurry or they don't have a huge budget.  Either way, this interview is very important.  In case one, then they are moving very fast and your impression will matter a lot here.  In the second case, it's probably good for your chances because most of the more established people will be applying for departments with more money.  Getting a professorship early is good, if you can make a name for yourself quickly, you can probably package yourself for another school no matter your discipline.

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2016, 08:57:18 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
TP! Thanks for the info.

The department is housed in the medical school of a large state university, which is on a hospital campus. It's a bioethics/medical humanities department, and my duties would be split among teaching, research, and hospital service (clinical ethics consultation).

I don't really know much more about the "atmosphere" of the department. Generally, philosophy and liberal arts departments are much more laid-back with regard to dress attire than business schools and the like; however, this isn't a traditional liberal arts department and also has members from law, medicine, public health, etc.

Any other tips or recommendations for interviewing with a search committee?

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 09:02:52 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
1.) It is hard to know what to expect from the reviewers.  I work in the sciences and have seen lots of very unfashionable people get to high places at a young age, just because they're super star geniuses.  So one the one hand, you could say it doesn't necessarily matter at all.

2.) However, you have to imagine that nobody is going to dock you points for dressing appropriately, which is a suit and tie. 

3.) Make sure to have a nice background too.  Either something neutral or make sure it's completely clutter free.  Make yourself level with the camera.

4.) Skype means that they are probably interviewing in a hurry or they don't have a huge budget.  Either way, this interview is very important.  In case one, then they are moving very fast and your impression will matter a lot here.  In the second case, it's probably good for your chances because most of the more established people will be applying for departments with more money.  Getting a professorship early is good, if you can make a name for yourself quickly, you can probably package yourself for another school no matter your discipline.

TP!

Would it be too "staged" if I had my background be in my work area with a bookcase in the background?

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 09:46:43 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I dont think so, i would try to make it look nice for sure.  Basically, just dont answer the call with "oh hi, I didn't see you there" while grinning and looking over your back shoulder

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 09:55:48 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
My uninformed opinion: Dress up from the waist-up, and dress-down from the waist-down.  Think of a mullet -- business in front (top), party in the back (bottom; e.g., no pants).

Sounds like a great opportunity, jp.  Have fun with it, be yourself, and you'll do great.  Best of luck!
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 10:25:08 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Well for a professor position, first of all, you're going to want to get yourself one of these to wear along with either a turtle neck or a bow tie.  Since you're thinking less casual, you should probably go with the turtleneck.

And make sure your reach for something during the interview so you can show off those sweet elbow patches, preferably a pipe, an old book published no later than 1930, or your bifocal glasses.  If you don't wear glasses or smoke a pipe, fake it.  You can run to Walgreens now and pick up both for like under $10.

Have you shaven lately?  Hopefully not, because you're definitely going to want to rock a strong beard game.  Don't worry about combing your hair, the more disheveled the better.  I'd advise just rolling out of bed and leaving it as is.

Besides that, the best advice I can give is to clear your throat often and speak in a patronizing tone.  Can you do an English accident? I've heard that helps.

Your end goal is to look something like this:

Seriously though, I can't imagine a world where dressing up would hurt you, at least from the waist up.  Of course all my experience is corporate though.  Don't stress too much about it though, all in all, there going to care more about what you have to say then what you wear (well within reason).

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 10:32:30 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Suit and tie.

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 10:34:08 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
Hey everyone,

So tomorrow I have a Skype interview with the search committee for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position. It's by far the most advanced position I have ever applied and/or interviewed for, so I'm kind of in uncharted territory here, along with being a bit nervous.

To make things worse, I've actually never had an interview through Skype before, so I'm a little unfamiliar with the "do's and do not's" of the Skype interview process. Further, I've never interviewed for an entire search committee before, so that will also be something new for me.

Particularly, I'm unsure of how formal I should dress for this interview, and I've read a lot of conflicting opinions. Some say you should always dress as formal as possible in Skype/Face-to-Face interviews, including a full suit or at least a jacket and tie. However, there's also the possibility of overdressing, which I have heard is particularly something to look out for in academic positions. I've heard everything from just lose the jacket to lose both the tie and jacket and just wear a nice, button-up shirt.

I'm pretty young for such a position, so I'm leaning towards dressing more formally with a full jacket, tie, and everything to kind of show that I'm serious about the position.

Any advice regarding the attire for a Skype interview? Also, any other advice about Skype interviews in general would be much appreciated. TPs for any help!
First congrats on the interview. I am a tenured prof and have been on both sides of these things.

I can't tell you much since. I am traveling now and using my iPad.

DRESS FORMALLY!!! Show them you care about the job and would be a great colleague and representative of the department.

Next, be prepared for something such as "where. Do you see your research in 5 years?"  It's BS but a common question.

Next, next, be confident. They think highly of you to invite you for a skype. Good for you.

I wish I could tell you more, but about to board the plane.

Be on your best behavior and be a good colleague. Be [dang]ed professional.

Good luck.

P.s. The chronocle of higher ed has boatloads of articles on interviews.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 10:39:13 PM by hwangjini_1 »
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 10:38:20 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
You can never go wrong with a suit and tie.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 10:39:09 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
congratulations JP..... Suit and tie, the academics always look for that is what I have been told.

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2016, 10:45:53 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
TP's all around. Thanks everyone. It seems like a pretty clear consensus to go with the full suit and tie.

Any other suggestions for the Skype interview are also welcomed from anyone with any input.

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2016, 10:56:09 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
TP's all around. Thanks everyone. It seems like a pretty clear consensus to go with the full suit and tie.

Any other suggestions for the Skype interview are also welcomed from anyone with any input.
Okay on the plane. When you talk to the committee look into the camera NOT the screen. When you look at the screen you miss eye contact with them. 

And wear a good tie! ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2016, 11:03:47 PM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
Way to go getting the skype interview! huge first step! My fiancee is also on the market for the first time so this is a weirdly synchronous post.

Pose with a book and don't acknowledge them for 10-15 seconds, then pretend to be startled and say "Oh! Hello! I didn't see you there!"

In all seriousness, just approach the interview as if it were in person, but allow for extra time to pass after you think someone has finished speaking. A small amount of latency can throw off the flow of a conversation and you can accidentally cut people off repeatedly through no fault of your own if you are not careful. Also, if your home has issues with internet consistency (mine does), I'd recommend taking the skype interview somewhere with a reliable network (maybe school?). If you do have issues with your wifi and can't go somewhere else, use a wired connection connected directly to your modem. That way, if someone turns on a microwave in the middle of your interview, you don't lose your chance at the job.

also. Use a laptop and set up the angle in advance. No facetime stuff.

Congrats again!
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier