Author Topic: Celtics (12-8) at Rockets (13-7) Game #21 12/5/16  (Read 47133 times)

Celtics (12-8) at Rockets (13-7) Game #21 12/5/16
« on: December 04, 2016, 10:34:46 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Boston Celtics (12-8) at Houston Rockets (13-7)
Monday, December 5, 2016 
8:00 PM ET
Regular Season Game #21, Road Game #12
TV:  NBA-TV,  CSN-NE, ROOT
Radio: WZLX 107.5, 790 AM KBME
Toyota Center

Probable Starting Matchups
Point Guard

vs
Isaiah Thomas vs Patrick Beverley

Shooting Guard
vs
Avery Bradley vs James Harden

Small Forward

vs
Jae Crowder vs Trevor Ariza

Power Forward

vs
Al Horford vs Ryan Anderson

Center

vs
Amir Johnson vs Clint Capela

Reserves
Celtics Reserves
Jaylen Brown
Gerald Green
Terry Rozier
James Young
Jonas Jerebko
Tyler Zeller
Marcus Smart
Kelly Olynyk

Injuries

None

D-League

Demetrius Jackson
Jordan Mickey

Head Coach
Brad Stevens

Reserves
Eric Gordon
Corey Brewer
Bobby Brown
Sam Dekker
Tyler Ennis
Montrezl Harnell
KJ McDaniels
Nene

Injuries
Nene (knee) game time decision
Trevor Ariza  (back) game time decision

D-League
Chinanu Onuaku
Kyle Wiltjer

Head Coach

Mike D'Antoni

Game Notes 

The Celtics continue their 3 game road trip with their only stop in Houston to take on the Rockets.  Both teams are 7-3 in their last 10 games.  The Celtics are 7-4 on the road while the Rockets are 4-2 at home.  These two teams were tied 1-1 last season with each team winning on the road. 

The Rockets are hot right now, returning home from a 4-1 road trip which began with back to back wins in Sacramento and Portland followed by a loss to the Jazz and finishing with back to back wins over the Warriors and Nuggets.   The Celtics have won 8 of their last 10 and are beginning a stretch in which 8 out of 10 games will be played on the road. 

The Celtics are reporting no injuries but DeMetrius Jackson and Jordan Mickey have been assigned to the Maine Red Claws.   Nene sat out Friday's win over the Nuggets and will be a game time decision for this game.  Trevor Ariza sat out Sunday's practice with a sore back and is also a game time decision for this game.  Chinanu Onuaku and Kyle Wiltjer are both assigned to the Rockets' D-League affiliate. 

Key Matchups

vs
Avery Bradley vs James Harden
James Harden is averaging 28.3 points, 7.6 rebounds, 11.8 assists and 1.3 steals.  It will be up to Avery Bradley to slow Harden down.   Harden is also not known for playing great defense and so the Celtics may be able to take advantage of that if Bradley, Smart and Thomas can get hot.

vs
Marcus Smart vs Eric Gordon
This will be a battle of 6th men.  Eric Gordon is averaging 16.5 points, 2.9 rebounds, and 2.6 assists off the bench.  He is also shooting 40% from beyond the arc.  Smart will need to slow him down while adding some offense of his own for the Celtics.

Honorable Mention
Al Horford vs Ryan Anderson
Anderson is averaging 13.5 points and 5.5 rebounds and is also shooting 43% from beyond the arc.  Horford will need to stick with him on defense, especially on the perimeter. 

Keys to the Game

Defense -  Defense is always a key to every game.  Defense wins games.   The Rockets are 2nd in the league in scoring at 111.4 ppg.  The Celtics are 14th and averaging 105.0 ppg.  The Celtics defense has slipped this season and they need to get back to making defense a priority.   The Celtics need to play tough team defense and limit the Rockets' scoring if they expect to get a win in this game. 

Rebound -  In order to score, the Celtics need the ball and to get the ball, they will need to crash the boards as a team.   They can't allow the Rockets to own the boards, which will limit the Celtics fast breaks as well as their second chance points.  When the Celtics put out extra effort on the boards, it usually carries over into the rest of their game.

Limit Turnovers - The Celtics are averaging just 12.4 turnovers per game while the Rockets are averaging 16.2 turnovers per game.  But the Celtics seem to go through stages in games where they seem to lose focus and turn the ball over time and again.  The Rockets will make them pay for each turnover and so they have to take care of the ball. 

Energy and Aggressiveness - The Celtics seem to lack the energy and aggressiveness that they showed for much of last season.  They have to come out and play hard from start to finish with no let up.  They have to be aggressive and they have to play like the team that wants it more.

X-Factors

On the Road - The Celtics are playing the 2nd of a 3 game road trip.  They have to focus on the task at hand and not allow the distractions of the road and a hostile crowd to take them out of the game.  The Celtics have played well on the road and hopefully that will continue. 

Officiating - Officiating, especially on the road, is always an x-factor.  Will they call it evenly or favor the home team?  Will they let them play or call every ticky tack foul?  Will they give Harden preferential treatment as a star?  All of these factors can shift a game for one team or the other. 

« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 07:47:28 AM by Redz »

Re: Celtics (12-8) at Rockets (13-7) Game #1 12/5/16
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 10:36:58 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
frist
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 10:37:12 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
TP FLCeltsFan!

We'll play better this game since we seem to play to the level of the competition.

Another win on the horizon!

Go Cs! Rock those Rox!

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 10:38:47 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
Third! Go Celtics!!!!!!!!
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 10:41:16 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP for tarheelsxxiii and csfansince60s for being first to post in the game thread (just seconds apart).

Gooooooooooooooooo Celtics!!!!   

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 10:42:28 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
frist
[dang]!  [dang] you tar heels for beating me to the thread. Grrrrrrrrr!   ;)

Well,now that that is out of the way, thanks flc. A tp for you.....and what the heck,a tp for tar heel's  quick fingers.

Another Celtics victory is almost here.

Gooooooooooceltics!  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 06:57:17 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
At least we match up well.

Hope to build a nice big lead early and get some extended minutes for Jaylen..
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 07:04:31 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Hm Marcus should start against harden, there's no way you can have AB on him, the height disparity is too large. Also Marcus had success on Harden before so I would really want Smart to be on Harden and let AB come off the bench as the de facto 6th man for only this one game
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Re: Celtics (12-8) at Rockets (13-7) Game #21 12/5/16
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 08:23:42 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
This is a statement game, a game to declare and prove that we are worth all the hype at the beginning of the season or it's all a fluke.  Let's see if Celtics rise to the occassion.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 08:31:48 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
@clench definitely. Btw are you still hating on Brown?
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2016, 08:32:35 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Hm Marcus should start against harden, there's no way you can have AB on him, the height disparity is too large. Also Marcus had success on Harden before so I would really want Smart to be on Harden and let AB come off the bench as the de facto 6th man for only this one game
Good idea, but doubt it happens.  It's like throwing in the towel on that match-up before it starts.  I would instead use a quick hook on AB if it looks bad from the get go.

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2016, 08:37:20 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
@surferdad I actually think that starting Smart is a better choice as AB can then lock down Gordon, who is now pretty ridiculous shooting those in face deep threes and Smart can ofc try to limit harden
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2016, 09:48:16 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
@surferdad I actually think that starting Smart is a better choice as AB can then lock down Gordon, who is now pretty ridiculous shooting those in face deep threes and Smart can ofc try to limit harden
I don't doubt it.  All I'm saying is regardless of what you (or I) think, it may not happen.

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2016, 01:07:55 PM »

Online mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
As far as I'm concerned, tonight is a huge game for us. We're 20 games in and have a pretty good idea of what the team looks like..So the question is, given how we play down to bad teams, will we play up to the level of the Rockets, and can our defense hold off one of the highest-scoring teams in the west? I would love to come out of Houston with a convincing W.

BTW, am I the only one who feels like the season just started? Shocking that it's a quarter over.

Mike

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2016, 01:10:42 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I have a bad feeling Harden smokes us tonight