Author Topic: Doesn't "Hypothetically" Adding Millsap Make Us The New Atlanta Hawks?  (Read 7340 times)

Re: Doesn't "Hypothetically" Adding Millsap Make Us The New Atlanta Hawks?
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2016, 12:37:52 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
It wouldn't be my first choice.  But the 2014-2015 Atlanta Hawks were a really good team, and I think the Celtics with Millsap could be at least that.  My concern is how long of a deal are you signing a 32 year-old Millsap to?  For a year or two, I think adding him in lieu of Amir, Jerebko, and Zeller makes us somewhat threatening to Cleveland.  But signing to a 4-year deal this summer?  I think we could come to regret that no less than halfway through.

Agreed. A two year max deal, maybe 3 with an option in there (preferably a team option, but I doubt he'd go for that) to give us a chance to contend now (he wouldn't make us a contender, but it's make the path to being a contender easier), while still keeping our options open to either make a trade or build long term around our picks

Plus I think Millsap's game will age very well (similar to Horford's)

I think Millsap could emerge as a solid and realistic Plan C. Maybe Horford even tries recruiting him.

Plan A is probably Griffin or Hayward. Plan B is a trade (which I doubt happens).

Agreed. I'd say Griffin is plan A1, Hayward is plan A2, a trade for a star big (so, Boogie) is plan B, and Millsap is plan C
I'm bitter.

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2016, 12:52:49 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
It wouldn't be my first choice.  But the 2014-2015 Atlanta Hawks were a really good team, and I think the Celtics with Millsap could be at least that.  My concern is how long of a deal are you signing a 32 year-old Millsap to?  For a year or two, I think adding him in lieu of Amir, Jerebko, and Zeller makes us somewhat threatening to Cleveland.  But signing to a 4-year deal this summer?  I think we could come to regret that no less than halfway through.

Agreed. A two year max deal, maybe 3 with an option in there (preferably a team option, but I doubt he'd go for that) to give us a chance to contend now (he wouldn't make us a contender, but it's make the path to being a contender easier), while still keeping our options open to either make a trade or build long term around our picks

I think Millsap could emerge as a solid and realistic Plan C. Maybe Horford even tries recruiting him.

Plan A is probably Griffin or Hayward. Plan B is a trade (which I doubt happens).

Agreed. I'd say Griffin is plan A1, Hayward is plan A2, a trade for a star big (so, Boogie) is plan B, and Millsap is plan C
Plan A1 ought to be filed under pipe dream.  Why would Griffin leave a better team and better market for us? 

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2016, 01:13:35 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

Plan A1 ought to be filed under pipe dream.  Why would Griffin leave a better team and better market for us?

The same reason that Durant left OKC - the Clippers are better then us, but they've hit their ceiling and if they keep floundering on the playoffs, Griffin may look for greener pastures.

I wouldn't put money on Griffin leaving LA and coming here, but I wouldn't say it's a "pipe dream" either
I'm bitter.

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2016, 01:20:39 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think IT - AB - Crowder is a better 1-3 than the Hawks ever had.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2016, 01:22:31 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I mean, I hear people say we should target Millsap in Free Agency... But as much as he improves this team, doesn't this make us the new Atlanta Hawks...

You know, with Horford-Millsap-Teague being the "BIG 3" (Except in this case you replace Teague with Isaiah Thomas).

Idk, it just feels like that would be a bad move to make for Boston even if Millsap is the only FA option left next summer. What do you guys think? Or am I just being paranoid thinking this?
I'd say this is exactly correct.

Plan A should be Boogie at the deadline.  Ainge has said repeatedly he is going after "special" players.  I like Milsap but he is not special enough to put this team over the top.

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2016, 01:24:00 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I'd love to sign Millsap to two or three year max contract in the offseason. Sure Horford, IT and Millsap don't make the C's a title contender but with Bradley, Smart and Crowder filling out the rotation they would be extremely good.

If you put that core together and get a breakout campaign from Brown or our top rookie next year we could contend with that group.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2016, 01:28:49 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

The same reason that Durant left OKC - the Clippers are better then us, but they've hit their ceiling and if they keep floundering on the playoffs, Griffin may look for greener pastures.

I wouldn't put money on Griffin leaving LA and coming here, but I wouldn't say it's a "pipe dream" either
Durant left to join one of the top 2 teams with Curry, Green and Thompson.  We aren't even a true contender and playing with Thomas and Horford isn't going to be a big draw when he's playing with Paul and Jordan. 

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2016, 01:49:38 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

Durant left to join one of the top 2 teams with Curry, Green and Thompson.  We aren't even a true contender and playing with Thomas and Horford isn't going to be a big draw when he's playing with Paul and Jordan.

I don't know. Paul is getting a bit long in the tooth. Will be 32 after this season. Crawford is definitely nearing the end of his run. Blake turns 28 this season and the rest of his prime is more aligned with our players. It really wouldn't be a surprise to see the Clippers try to reboot or rebuild if they get dominated in the playoffs by the warriors or spurs.

I also do believe that a team of Crowder, IT, Horford, Blake, Bradley with Brown, Smart and a few vets off the bench is a lot better team paul, jordan, blake, reddick and a cast of terrible small forwards.

Edit: Basically Lowe wrote about this today. There is a good chance this team blows up if it doesn't perform well this season.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18175468/zach-lowe-chris-paul-blake-griffin-la-clippers-nba

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2016, 01:51:39 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I think IT - AB - Crowder is a better 1-3 than the Hawks ever had.
Teague Korver Carroll all in career years is pretty close. I do agree IT AB Crowder is better (especially with Smart off the bench) but Al and Milsapp were 27 and 28 (I think). So probably a bit better than the 30 and 31 year old versions.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2016, 02:14:54 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

I don't know. Paul is getting a bit long in the tooth. Will be 32 after this season. Crawford is definitely nearing the end of his run. Blake turns 28 this season and the rest of his prime is more aligned with our players. It really wouldn't be a surprise to see the Clippers try to reboot or rebuild if they get dominated in the playoffs by the warriors or spurs.

I also do believe that a team of Crowder, IT, Horford, Blake, Bradley with Brown, Smart and a few vets off the bench is a lot better team paul, jordan, blake, reddick and a cast of terrible small forwards.

Edit: Basically Lowe wrote about this today. There is a good chance this team blows up if it doesn't perform well this season.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18175468/zach-lowe-chris-paul-blake-griffin-la-clippers-nba
I guess you didn't read the end of the article where he says they aren't positioned for a rebuild and Balmer has already said he'll pay the cost to keep them together including a 5 year Max deal for Paul.  They're not going to blow up a top 4 team with Griffin and Jordan in their prime and Griffin. 

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2016, 02:21:07 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

I guess you didn't read the end of the article where he says they aren't positioned for a rebuild and Balmer has already said he'll pay the cost to keep them together including a 5 year Max deal for Paul.  They're not going to blow up a top 4 team with Griffin and Jordan in their prime and Griffin.
lol you are a trip man. The article literally ends with "if the ending is unhappy I would bet for at least one big change in clipperland" so either you think the clippers will end the season as champions or there is an overwhelming chance they make big changes. Whether that includes getting someone besides griffin, someone besides Paul, or something else entirely is anyone's guesss.

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2016, 02:21:27 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

Yes, but other teams were in the running (including us).  It wasn't viewed as a certainty that Durant would stay in OKC, just as I don't think it's a certainty that Griffin stays in LA.

As for coming here after playing with Paul and Jordan, the main point of our pitch would need to be that the Clippers as currently constructed are going nowhere fast (and if they get knocked out in the first round again, it'll be an even more persuasive argument), and that he could be the top dog in Boston (plus how well he would fit into our team)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2016, 02:25:35 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I would do it this season. Makes us a threat in the east while still having the BKN pick to play with. Say we end up in the top 5 we can draft a PF to replace Milsap in a year or two. Sign Milsap to a 2 year extension and compete, while letting Jaylen and the next pick to get better. When Milsap and Horford are at the end of their deals you have some young guys waiting in the wings.

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2016, 05:12:33 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

lol you are a trip man. The article literally ends with "if the ending is unhappy I would bet for at least one big change in clipperland" so either you think the clippers will end the season as champions or there is an overwhelming chance they make big changes. Whether that includes getting someone besides griffin, someone besides Paul, or something else entirely is anyone's guesss.
I don't believe it is championship or bust things up for them.  It wasn't too long ago that the Clippers were the Kings and they aren't going to risk going back to that.  There's no one available in free agency that they could realistically get that would come close to replacing Griffin or Paul.  From the Clippers perspective, the best thing to do is re-sign Paul and Griffin and try a couple more seasons with their big three and the best role players they can get.  If they still have no luck, they could trade one or more of their big 3 and actually get something in return. 

From the perspective of Paul and Griffin, they're going to want to get their Max contract and be on a contender.  I don't see a better place for either to go to.  I thought Griffin might go to OKC but them signing Adams and Oladipo to big contracts makes that unlikely.  Griffin coming here would be at best a lateral move from a team perspective and I can't see him leaving the L.A. area for Boston. 

« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2016, 05:15:25 PM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
We

NEVER

WANT

TO be Atlanta