Author Topic: Doesn't "Hypothetically" Adding Millsap Make Us The New Atlanta Hawks?  (Read 7290 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I mean, I hear people say we should target Millsap in Free Agency... But as much as he improves this team, doesn't this make us the new Atlanta Hawks...

You know, with Horford-Millsap-Teague being the "BIG 3" (Except in this case you replace Teague with Isaiah Thomas).

Idk, it just feels like that would be a bad move to make for Boston even if Millsap is the only FA option left next summer. What do you guys think? Or am I just being paranoid thinking this?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Doesn't "Hypothetically" Adding Millsap Make Us The New Atlanta Hawks?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 06:03:02 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
i agree. it makes us slightly better, but still that team isnt a contender.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 06:05:52 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4
Thomas Bradley Smart Crowder with Brown and another top 5 pick > Teague Schroeder Korver Carroll.

That Hawks squad won 60 games, so they were very good. Unfortunately Millsapp and Horford are a few years older than they were then.

When you talk about signing FAs. The common danger is that you use up all your cap without becoming true contenders.

The Hawks in '15 were terrific but really had no means to improve. They couldnt even afford to bring everyone back and had to let Carroll walk.

Boston could have a similarly talented team. Like I said above Thomas Bradley Crowder Smart is comparable in my mind to Teague Korver Carroll Schroeder.

The difference being that we have Brown and a top 5 pick which really lifts the ceiling a lot

Thus we would become just Hawks point 2. I think we would have a chance to be true contenders, but Im still not sure its wise.

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 06:07:47 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Thomas Bradley Smart Crowder with Brown and another top 5 pick > Teague Schroeder Korver Carroll.

That Hawks squad won 60 games, so they were very good. Unfortunately Millsapp and Horford are a few years older than they were then.

When you talk about signing FAs. The common danger is that you use up all your cap without becoming true contenders.

The Hawks in '15 were terrific but really had no means to improve. They couldnt even afford to bring everyone back and had to let Carroll walk.

Boston could have a similarly talented team. Like I said above Thomas Bradley Crowder Smart is comparable in my mind to Teague Korver Carroll Schroeder.

The difference being that we have Brown and a top 5 pick which really lifts the ceiling a lot

Thus we would become just Hawks point 2. I think we would have a chance to be true contenders, but Im still not sure its wise.

Exactly, TP.

Although I think this is the last offseason Ainge has to use a max-contract slot on someone, as with future draft picks, any extensions and the new CBA rules... it seems by 2018.. unless Ainge makes some "salary-decreasing" trades... the C's will have some cap space but not enough to sign a max-player.

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2016, 06:08:25 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Yep, same thing with adding Noel, Bogut or Ibaka..

Frankly, only guy who makes us a contender in the FA market is Griffin, and he's probably staying.

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2016, 06:10:06 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
It wouldn't be my first choice.  But the 2014-2015 Atlanta Hawks were a really good team, and I think the Celtics with Millsap could be at least that.  My concern is how long of a deal are you signing a 32 year-old Millsap to?  For a year or two, I think adding him in lieu of Amir, Jerebko, and Zeller makes us somewhat threatening to Cleveland.  But signing to a 4-year deal this summer?  I think we could come to regret that no less than halfway through.

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2016, 06:15:28 PM »

Offline mahcus smaht

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 4

Exactly, TP.

Although I think this is the last offseason Ainge has to use a max-contract slot on someone, as with future draft picks, any extensions and the new CBA rules... it seems by 2018.. unless Ainge makes some "salary-decreasing" trades... the C's will have some cap space but not enough to sign a max-player.
TP in your direction as well.

With Thomas Smart and Bradley all expiring after next year. This is the last summer where Ainge can max someone out without doing some real cap gymnastics.

There will be some flexibility with bird rights and RFA stuff the following summer that could allow us to sign a max guy the following summer but I dont know how large the cap holds etc will be for Smart Bradley and Thomas.

This years FA crop is underwhelming. I have turned my attention to the trade market.

Yep, same thing with adding Noel, Bogut or Ibaka..

Frankly, only guy who makes us a contender in the FA market is Griffin, and he's probably staying.
With regards to those 3, I think theyd all be good adds on short contracts.

Unfortunately the only guy of the 3 that I think would be receptive to a 1 year deal would be Bogut.

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2016, 06:22:11 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76

Exactly, TP.

I feel like our best bet for now is making a trade for a player like Vucevic that is on contract for 2 years including this one for 11 mil to strengthen our frontcourt. Add some solid bench playersin FA and players through the draft, and then once Vucevic is off our cap in 18 we can make a run for a top tier FA.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 06:28:40 PM by alewilliam789 »

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2016, 06:34:33 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Nah. Two players doesn't make a franchise. Those guys won 60 games together. They didn't have Stevens. They didn't have Bradley, Smart, Thomas or Crowder, or a top 5 pick incoming, or Zizic off the bench, or Jaylen Brown. Even though the Hawks didn't do well in the playoffs, they were obviously talented and not something to avoid taking their two best guys.

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2016, 07:45:11 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Millsap is arguably the best PF in the league (so long as you count Lebron as a SF).  A case could be made that Al Horford is the best center in the NBA and the best fit at the position for how the Celtics play.  And you're skeptical about replacing a merely adequate point guard with a legitimate All-Star PG?  Adding Millsap wouldn't turn the Celtics into the "new Atlanta Hawks", but it might make them the "new and vastly improved Atlanta Hawks" with a much deeper bench and a pipeline of future draft picks with which to add talent as Millsap/Horford get older.  Do well on a couple of picks and we're talking about a legitimate contender that doesn't need a few bridge years to segue into a future legitimate contender built around a younger core.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2016, 07:46:30 PM »

Offline alldaboston

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 324
Nah. Two players doesn't make a franchise. Those guys won 60 games together. They didn't have Stevens. They didn't have Bradley, Smart, Thomas or Crowder, or a top 5 pick incoming, or Zizic off the bench, or Jaylen Brown. Even though the Hawks didn't do well in the playoffs, they were obviously talented and not something to avoid taking their two best guys.

regarding Stevens, they did have Budenholzer, who is a fantastic coach. He's just as good a coach as Brad in my opinion, maybe slightly worse.
I could very well see the Hawks... starting Taurean Prince at the 3, who is already better than Crowder, imo.

you vs. the guy she tells you not to worry about

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2016, 08:02:15 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
As mentioned, that Hawks was a 60 win team good for the 1 seed.  That's a very good team. 

As for their playoff sputtering, we can certainly agree that they were a better regular season team than a true playoff contender.  But also, wasn't Korver injured in that postseason?  He was a really large, maybe underestimated, part of their offense that season.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2016, 12:20:52 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Millsap is arguably the best PF in the league (so long as you count Lebron as a SF).  A case could be made that Al Horford is the best center in the NBA and the best fit at the position for how the Celtics play.  And you're skeptical about replacing a merely adequate point guard with a legitimate All-Star PG?  Adding Millsap wouldn't turn the Celtics into the "new Atlanta Hawks", but it might make them the "new and vastly improved Atlanta Hawks" with a much deeper bench and a pipeline of future draft picks with which to add talent as Millsap/Horford get older.  Do well on a couple of picks and we're talking about a legitimate contender that doesn't need a few bridge years to segue into a future legitimate contender built around a younger core.

When did I say that about Teague and IT? I just merely meant that this team is "similar to the Hawks, except replace Teague with IT". I never implied I was skeptical about it lol.

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2016, 12:27:18 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
It wouldn't be my first choice.  But the 2014-2015 Atlanta Hawks were a really good team, and I think the Celtics with Millsap could be at least that.  My concern is how long of a deal are you signing a 32 year-old Millsap to?  For a year or two, I think adding him in lieu of Amir, Jerebko, and Zeller makes us somewhat threatening to Cleveland.  But signing to a 4-year deal this summer?  I think we could come to regret that no less than halfway through.

Agreed. A two year max deal, maybe 3 with an option in there (preferably a team option, but I doubt he'd go for that) to give us a chance to contend now (he wouldn't make us a contender, but it's make the path to being a contender easier), while still keeping our options open to either make a trade or build long term around our picks

Plus I think Millsap's game will age very well (similar to Horford's)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2016, 12:32:32 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Agreed. A two year max deal, maybe 3 with an option in there (preferably a team option, but I doubt he'd go for that) to give us a chance to contend now (he wouldn't make us a contender, but it's make the path to being a contender easier), while still keeping our options open to either make a trade or build long term around our picks

Plus I think Millsap's game will age very well (similar to Horford's)

I think Millsap could emerge as a solid and realistic Plan C. Maybe Horford even tries recruiting him.

Plan A is probably Griffin or Hayward. Plan B is a trade (which I doubt happens).